Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

Decelles Flamingo ... what do you think ?

aegis1000
6 years ago

I'm trying a new thing this year ... mining the wealth of experience and knowledge we have in the forum ,,, in regard to those plants which I'm considering for acquisition.

So what do you think of Decelles Flamingo ?

Comments (15)

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

I do like this one!!!!! Rosie

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

I would have to rate it a solid 8. Some attractive variegation and a decent rendition of a red!

• Amy
    6 years ago

I grew this one and got rid of it because I felt the red faded too quickly. When the flower is fresh the red is amazing though. I would like to qualify my answer, the only other two reds I have grown were HeartBreak Kid and Spring Cardinal. Both were discarded for the same reason, so it could be that I don't like reds!

• coculo4
    6 years ago

Beautiful plant

• terrilou
    6 years ago

I liked this plant but it was a weak grower under my conditions.

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

With some darker reds, when the blooms start to fade, the plant looks awful.

A similar plant to DF, but hybridized by Lyon's, is Christmas Dream. It has similar leaf edge variegation. It is a small standard and grows symmetrically. The leaves are medium green. The bloom is more of a bright coral than Decelle's Flamingo. The blooms are long-lasting. Joanne

aegis1000 thanked fortyseven_gw
  • fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

I think hybridizers use each other's stock as a basis for their own further developments. I think Lyon's hybrids tend more to the coral side than the blue side and are brighter. I have tried many various Lyon's. (But not all.) I have learned to love brick red!

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The other red Stork I grew was Buffalo Hunt. It was also a saturated red, almost the same color as Tomahawk, just a fuller bloom. I would go with either of those. I saw Lyon's has a new red, Bloodshot, they say is "more subdued, closer to true red." So I am guessing it is less coral than some of their others.

Zoe is supposed to be a good one.

Kent Stork's Powwow is also a great red and the plant has tidy growth.

• perle_de_or
    6 years ago

It didn't do well for me, although Decelle's Arctica (white) is a great plant in my conditions.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

I guess everybody's plants grow to the potential of their environment and personal skill. Mine were just ok. I grew all of the above plants, (Buff Hunt, PowWow, Tomahawk, etc.). PowWow was prolific, lots of flowers, nicely variegated leaves. Buff Hunt was slower to grow, never took off. Had decent numbers of flowers and leaves but not remarkable. Tomahawk was a disappointment for me. Grew well enough but nothing about the plant blew my skirt up. All decent plants but none remarkable in my opinion. As a result, none of these reside on my shelves anymore.

• Paul MI
    6 years ago

You wear skirts, Jeff? Well we learn something new everyday. hehe :-D j/k

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Hmmm...we need to get you something to get your skirt up - and take a photo,,,

Was not that happy with Tomahawk' too. Good solid easy plant - but the red was kind of subdued,

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

It is hard to get a sparkly red!!! I grew out at least a dozen reds!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

If you want to see sparkles- there is an old trick. Hook up a regular incandescent bulb together with your fluorescents - and the blossoms will sparkle. It is just a visual effect - but nice to know for plant photography, Old style grow stands had the light fixtures with a receptacle for a regular bulb.