Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mplatt6049

Radiant heat over a garage space?

Maria Platt
6 years ago

Planning a redesign on my kitchen and lower floor of my house. I will be installing white oak floors and will have radiant heat in the kitchen for sure which is located over the basement. The family room is located over the garage and is about 15 x 25 in size. I have heard many things about radiant heat and one is that over the garage it will not sufficiently heat the room. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I appreciate any feedback.

Comments (9)

• klem1
    6 years ago

Keep in mind some systems work better when combined with heat storing ballast and/or over finished space.

• Nikki Lee
    6 years ago

Is it electric or do you have a boiler? Is your kitchen on a thin layer of cement? Just wondering how that is on your joints.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    6 years ago

Radiant hydronic heat is very common for installation in a slab-on-grade floor, but a good HVAC contractor knows exactly how to insulate underneath it so that the heat goes up into the slab and room, not down into the ground. I assume you would need very similar insulation under the floor if you have a garage space under the heated floor.

Bruce

• Maria Platt
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We would be using Warm Board or Uponor Quick Track, both of which work with our current heating system. The ceiling of the garage is insulated (not sure how well) and has drywall on it.

• PRO
    Flame Heating Cooling & Electrical
    6 years ago

Radiant heat is a great solution for new home additions, so that the new area can be heated without having to hook it up to the initial duct work system (or other heating systems). It's also energy-efficient, as no heat is lost through the ductwork in the process. Depending on the climate you live in, the flooring over a garage can be exceptionally cold. Radiant heat in the flooring can be a great solution for you– I would recommend contacting a local heating and cooling company and see about which options will suit you best.

• PRO
    Warmboard Radiant
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Maria. If your kitchen is over an enclosed space (garage), more than likely the radiant heat in the garage would not adequately heat the kitchen. Generally radiant heat from a lower floor can only heat an upper area say if it's a loft or an open area. We'd be happy to talk to you about your project as well. If you'd like to learn more about how those 2 products compare, this may help as well.

• tackykat
    6 years ago

We have radiant heat in a bathroom over an unheated garage. The bathroom is a heated space, so we don't depend on the floor to heat the room, and I doubt it would, but the heated floor is really nice.

• sandylmcg
    5 years ago

Heated floors and ceilings are terrific! There are numerous options. Check out Calorique a company in Wareham Ma(that will travel to look at your project). Perfectly Warm and Perfectly Clear are two of their products. My home has several of their products which are easy to install and best of all work!