Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Float flooring over tile?

Elle
6 years ago
We have horrid tile on our main floor over a slab foundation. While all of the tiles are in good condition, they’re pretty uneven relative to each other and have large grout spacing. Also, we live in New England and the floors get COLD in the winter.
The quotes to rip up the tile have been exceedingly expensive so I don’t want to do it if it’s not necessary. I’ve seen advertisements for flooring you can float over tile, but is that actually true? Would our tile have to be much more even? Could we use a self leveler? We have been thinking of doing a layer of cork for insulation followed by laminate or vinyl click flooring.
We have also discussed just changing the tile, but that would be a last resort for me as it doesn’t solve the cold feet problem. Could we tile over tile?
Please note that this is a beginner Home in a beginner neighborhood so I don’t want to make a bad investment in over-expensive flooring. But we want something that will still have value when we go to sell in 8 or so years.
Float floor over tile
Rip up tile first

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

I'd vote to do it right the first time, which would be to rip up the tile and then replace flooring. However, if that's not feasible floating flooring is an option.

Here's the thing about floating flooring though. It's going to raise your floor level so you might run into issues with your cabinets and doors. Which means you might have to replace or alter those, which again is an added expense. Plus, it seems like your floor is uneven which is going to be an issue for almost any flooring.

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sina. I’m usually in the “do it right” camp but the $4,000+ quotes to rip it up have me questioning how “right” I really need to do it, since I could have a way nicer flooring material for an extra $4,000.
    All of the doors are way too high for the existing tile anyway (about 1/4” gap), so that’s not really a concern.
    But the tile is definitely uneven from one tile to the next and I’m just worried it will cause buckling in a floating floor.
  • gm_tx
    6 years ago

I know it seems like a lot of money now, but you will be so happy if you rip up ALL the tile first, in both kitchen and living room. As mentioned above, if you lay flooring on top of that uneven tile, you may run in to more problems down the line, costing more $$$ and headaches. If you rip up the tile, you can then still do an affordable laminate or LVP, which is not expensive.

Doing it right will add value to your home, rather than problems and headaches, for both you and potential buyers down the road.

• Ednamaee
    6 years ago

The absolute right way is to leave a functioning floor in place and float over it. Thatis the genius of the new technology that we have used since 1996... oh, 1996; I guess that is tried and true. The latest and best entry into this category appears to be rigid vinyl planks that are waterproof and look fantastic. They float over existing floors [you may beed to level areas with extreme lippage or fill extra wide grout lines like in sautillo tile floors)}. We just installed some in a bathroom, fbut not over existing floor. The problem with installing over existing floor is door thresholds to the exterior, or other rooms, toilet flanges and other issues that arise with raising your floor. Get a sample at home depot or floor n decor and lay it up to your thresholds to see if your doors will still work...you can cut doors down. Good luck.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"With stiffer floating floors like Ceramic, Laminate and Hardwood, it could lead to creaking noises and cracking and breaking of the locking mechanism. If the floor is rough and bumpy, it will need to be smoothed or skimmed out. Going over a rough subfloor will lead to uneven wear patterns even in a floating floor. The Clic together LVT products on the market today, require a smoother flatter floor, or they are very difficult to lock together. "

This article explains other potential problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flooring-professionals.com/flooring-resources/why-floating-floors-fail/amp/

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone. We thought about ripping it up ourselves, but at 700sqft with only nights and weekends I’m worried we’ll go a month without a kitchen. We found a tool at Home Depot that’s like a rotary chipper, but it’s several hundred bucks a day to rent. I read the thinset is the hard part to get smooth, and quotes for just thinset removal were in the $1500 range.
  • User
    6 years ago

There’s only one right way. There are a lot more hack ways. 4K is cheap for that.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

You would be surprised how fast it goes with the right tool from the rental shop

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

One of the biggest wastes of time and effort is in removing sound tile. There are few good reasons to do so, especially if you're covering it with a floating floor.

I had a contractor friend loose his shirt demolishing perfectly sound tile in a high rise condo years ago. Took forever and he nearly damaged the concrete structure. Scared me to death.

• cmbmesa
    6 years ago
    Maybe I’m crazy here but if you can’t spend the money to have them removed and replaced with something else, use area rugs! It will cover the undesirable floor and provide warmth. Best of luck!!
  • Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks cmbmesa. We’ve done that everywhere we can, but rugs aren’t exactly cheap, or practical in areas like the kitchen and entryway. Plus I hate how the tile changes color right smack in the middle of the walkway. We will wait until we have the money, but $4000 means an extra year of waiting so it’s not really something I want to do just because.
  • Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Joseph- what would you recommend instead of demoing the tile? It seems like I need some kind of underlayment to prevent the floating floor from cracking. Would the cork insulation later be sufficient or would the grout lines telegraph through?
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Get an estimate for a large piece of 12 foot wide wall to wall carpet that is cut to fit and edges finished to fit your living room space. The bit of tile you'll have around the edges won't be a big deal. You'll need a pad. This custom rug will serve very well for another year or two until you are ready to spend the money on a new floor.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    6 years ago

Those are ceramic tiles over a concrete slab. Looking at the quality of the tiles I am going to say a DIY or lower end instal. I am going to bet they weren't back buttered and the thinset not burned into the cement.

What does this mean to you? They will pop right off. Go on amazon and buy yourself a Bosch hammer drill for about $250. They have a bit for tie removal. You will have that floor up in time for lunch.

If not look on Craigslist for demo specific workers. That should be $500 at most. Your flooring person is lazy move on and find someone else.

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

The problem with floating anything over this tile is the "uneveness" of one tile to another. So.....you need to KNOCK DOWN the high edges = sanding/grinding machine....several HUNDREDS of dollars for the rental.

Now that you have sanded the b-jasus out of your floors (you have to drape your walls because it is DUSTY AS ALL GET OUT) and you have been vacuuming up tile dust for weeks, you now need to FILL THE GROUT LINES.

Yes. You still need FLAT. So....fill the grout lines. Good. Now that you have that, you are ready for a floating floor.

Or....if you want to add Self Leveling Compound (SLC) you will need to STRIP THE TILE of any cleaning products (rental machine or professional cleaning company). Then you have to ROUGH UP the tile (sanding machine) so that the old surface has some GRIT to it. Vacuum up tile dust for several weeks.

Continue with PRIMER over the tile....so that the SLC can GRAB the tile. Let cure. Now you can apply 700sf of SLC (which is NOT self levelling BTW) over the entire surface of the tile.

Awesome. Now you add cork underlay (3mm is "ok" but 1/4" is better) and then install 10mm laminate (this is the lowest level of laminate I would look at). Excellent. Now that you have done all of that, your doors need to be rehung.

The 1/4" gap isn't enough for a floor that will sit 5/8" higher. Oh dear. That's several hundreds of dollars more just for the doors. And that's if you can trim them. If you can't, you need to buy new doors. Ouch.

The $4000 quote to remove the tile means it is $5.70/sf for the job. It sounds like you are in an EXPENSIVE area of the USA. The going rate in my area is a little bit more than $2/sf. Over slab it might be a bit closer to $3/sf to remove and dispose of the tile. Does that quote include grinding away the thin-set/mortar and "floor prep" to get the floor ready for a floating floor?

If it INCLUDES all of that, then the $5.70/sf is BANG ON. If you estimate $2.50/sf for tile removal and $3/sf for subfloor prep (includes some grinding and lots of SLC), then you are right on the $4000 bid you have been given.

Trust me. This is decent if it includes all of the prep as I described. And the cost to "go over" the tile with SLC = $4000. It is the same price. And then you get to ADD the cost of the DOORS because your new floor will sit HIGHER than 1/4"....I guarantee it.

The good news: once those tiles are GONE...you NEVER have to deal with them again. Ever. And your counter tops will remain "appropriate height" because you will maintain the distance from floor to counters.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

My wife shoveled our tile kitchen floor out in one quarter the time it took me to remove two from the bathroom which had been properly repaired. Mine took plenty of concrete with them; hers none. Don’t ever believe all the tile are coming out as easily as those tested or bid. If your tile are sound and you can skip this risk, I’d suggest you do so.

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks SJ McCarthy. Bid included scraping the thinset. Just thinset scraping was more like $2000. We just moved from FL to CT so everything is a sticker shock here lol.
  • emilyinmb
    6 years ago

Ouch!!! I'm having the same issue with a floor I have hated for 20 years. Best wishes. I just wanted to commiserate.

• emilyinmb
    6 years ago
    If you decide to take the tiles off, you could try to do it yourself first and if they don’t come off as easy as some of the comments suggest, then bite the $ bullet.
  • SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

So the bid did include grinding thin set so that your slab would be ready for installing a new floor. That's good. So $2000 for tile removal and $2000 for grinding/subfloor prep. Area = 700sf. That is pretty much the going rate where I am...I'm in Canada where the cost of living is high and minimum wage is high....and trades people are in HIGH demand with VERY FEW trades people working = HIGH WAGES for trades (Red Seal Plumbers and Electricians bill out at $180/HOUR in my province...yes...they make more per hour than a family physician!).

• zaccaii
    5 years ago
    what did you end up doing?
  • Elle
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Living with it, for now. it's amazing what you can go houseblind to. We are waiting until we have money to pay someone to rip up the tile and do kitchen cabinets plus both upstairs and downstairs flooring in one shot.
  • zaccaii
    5 years ago
    you will be glad you waited to do it right, good for you!