Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
futuredriven

How would you update this kitchen on a budget?

FutureDriven
6 years ago

This is our kitchen! It had ceramic tile floors and we have already replaced them. This is a budget reno so we do not want to change the layout and we want to save the cabinets by painting them. The home was built in 2001. What color would you paint the cabinets? What would you choose for countertops (color and stone)? Backsplash? What kind of hardware for the cabinets? We plan to change all the appliances to stainless steel. I'm torn between a stainless steel apron sink, white farmhouse sink, or a undermount sink...thoughts? Should we paint the walls? Can't wait to hear what you guys think! The kitchen is small but with the right amount of changes it could be great!

Comments (19)

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

for whatever reason the pictures keep uploading this way. I don't know why.

• Katie Tate
    6 years ago

We are in the design process of a kitchen reno too. Our house was built in 2003, very similar style cabinets and to be really honest, even with painting the cabinets the kitchen will still look dated as those styles are very 90's and builders grade. It was our dilemma too as we wanted to save them but to modernize it they had to go. We are donating ours to Habitat for Humanity.

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good point! Did you start all the way over or reface with new cabinet doors?

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

Once you replace the appliances with stainless steel and if you were to replace the hardware on the cabinets I think it would look really nice. I like the current cabinets, they don't seem bad or out dated at all!

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

Sorry should of also mentioned maybe a dark granite counter top too :)

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Cor I agree with everything you said. I know the cabinets can be dated to some, but we can't part with our 2001 cabinets and they are real wood cabinets. My interior design style is definitely more modern farmhouse / rustic so the floors and light go with that style. I just want to make sure the rest of the kitchen compliments it without going over board.....

I assume my kitchen could look similar to this paint job. They also have the arched cabinets. I'm not a fan of the rest of the kitchen but the cabinets look nice.

Ideally I really like this kitchen. I'm just not sure if my kitchen would fit this look.

• Cor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A warm white (not quite cream) would look nice. Something that compliments the light planks in your flooring.) The grey I suggested won't work in the farmhouse style. The navy blue would look great. I feel like everyone has white kitchens these days (the trend :-) That being said, you like the farmhouse look so go for it!!!!! This is what I am thinking.....

New Hope Cottage · More Info

• armchairshopper
    6 years ago

Take one of the lighter wood-look floor tiles to your local paint store. Have them match the tile and prepare a sample, which typically should cost in the $3 to $7 range. Buy a piece of foam core poster board from your local dollar store. Paint the foam core with your sample color, and move the foam core around to represent the color on the upper and lower cabinets. Look at it from a distance and in different lights. Bear in mind that the sample will only show the color and not the satin finish that you will need to use. If you like it, go with it. Also, consider painting the table and benches to match the cabinets. Because of the gray undertones in your tile, going with traditional yellow based tones (some creams and beiges) could produce a clashing contrast.

After you settle on a cabinet color, take your paint sample board and samples of all the different colors in your floor tiles to your local countertop showroom. Try to pick out a countertop that picks up one or more of the colors in your floor and cabinets. Don’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want. Let the colors make the choice in the countertop.

FutureDriven thanked armchairshopper
  • armchairshopper
    6 years ago

This is an example of a cabinet color that uses the colors in your floor:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/burmese-on-maple-kitchen/

Also, make note of the wall color, backsplash, and countertop in the example.

The countertop company can show you the types of sinks that are available to go with your countertop and might be able arrange for sink installation along with the countertop.

FutureDriven thanked armchairshopper
  • PRO
    Reina Beyda
    6 years ago
    I totally think if you repaint cabinets white do a white subway backsplash and a quartz countertop with more of a taupe veining as opposed to grey veining (in order to tie in the floor) you will have your dream kitchen. If you wanted to save a bit in counter tops you could do a granite like the one pictured below which would also look really nice. Also I'm not sure if it's in the budget but a farmhouse sink would look great in that space also. The black knobs in the ideal picture are a bit harsh I would consider maybe bronze colored hardware will blend with floor and veining a bit better.
    Good luck with it!!
  • Ednamaee
    6 years ago

I havent used it but next kitchen...I have painted or stained 6..i am using ben moore advance paint. If you are going to do all rhat work, consider pricing barker or cabinet door world or some other for shaker doors. The mdf from cdw are budget friendly and paint up very nice. You may want to order blum hinges separately. I have used barker too. White and white quartz counters with the large gray streak. I like your new floor.

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

White cabinets, simple white subway tiles, an affordable marble looking counter top. White will make the space feel bigger. I think it looks like a super functional layout.

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone! @armchairshopper I hadn't considered those colors but I like them! @R B you are speaking my language. I love the look of that kitchen and we are thinking about getting a farm sink. I think we would lean to granite, something with just the right about of veining in the right color!

@kendrah I like your plan. Subway tile is also budget friendly :-) I do think the white will help it look bigger which is a plus because its a small kitchen!

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

what do you guys think about this kitchen?

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

If you are keeping the cabinets they might not support a farmhouse/apron sink. Your cabinets don't look bad. The countertops must go & I would go light. Add a light ceramic tile backsplash. Are you paying someone to paint your cabinets? To do it right its going to be expensive.

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

100 percent yes to the kitchen you just posted! I like the idea of adding same curtains to your windows. Also do you sit on the kitchen benches often? Are they comfortable? If not, maybe you could use them elsewhere in the house and get wood chairs similar to these.

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

If you are on a budget I would consider skipping the apron sink too. Too many modifications of existing cabinets needed. Why open that can of worms? An inset sink with a nice faucet, as in the pic you just posted will look great. Plus, I think it is a better look for a smaller space.

I am currently redoing my kitchen, thought of replacing sink with apron but decided it was too much look in a kitchen my size.

• FutureDriven
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@mark_rachel yes, we will be having someone else paint the cabinets. I agree the countertops must go! We are thinking granite.

@kendrah That table is in a work in progress. lol. We plan to refinish the top of it and the top of the benches and then add two chairs.

Similar to this.