Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_murphy5

Showered with Opportunity

Ben Murphy
6 years ago
Thinking of expanding the shower space. Current shower pan was 3x4ft.

I like modern innovations and technology.

Curbless shower possible?
Linear drain?
Waterfall tile designs?
Add a second shower head?

Comments (18)

• suezbell
    6 years ago

White tile.

• PRO
    Legacy Homes NW
    6 years ago

Always lots of options. Showers require a fair amount of skill though. I can see it done, but there's not a simple answer / guide to your inquiry.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Money makes anything happen. Including the 5-15K worth of structural alterations needed to retrofit curbless. On top of the average 7-9K shower build.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Making that entire area a shower would be nice. especially with the window and maybe a bench. But I am not sure what you would do with the ceiling.

• tmcorkum
    6 years ago

I love a large shower. I'd look at doing a pivot door, a shower arm or shower head/arm combo (I'm partial to Riobel Salome) and a steam shower component with a super high CFM fan like one from Broan or Nutone. Maybe add an led potlight in the high ceiling above. I'm not sure about building a bench, if you build in or just buy a nice wood one. I love the idea of curbless.

• Diane
    6 years ago
    I also think it would be a nice upgrade. Have you considered leaving the shower head where it is, but tiling and enclosing the whole space think wet room space. We have curb less showers and love them it does require more planning as the floor has to slope correctly and you need the space to add the pan etc. in our situation home was originally built with “ghost” floors basically double sub floors with an air void between allowing us to remove the top sub floor to acquire the space needed for the shower installs. Get several opinions as to viability and cost. Be sure to vet anyone you consider hiring this is not a place to take risk.
  • Ben Murphy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes doing a vertical drain. Looking to do this right with quality materials and hardware. $5-$10k budget.

Original shower was 3x4.
  • User
    6 years ago

A 5 K budget for a shower won’t even cover an all cultured curbed marble shower. The cultured marble costs that much. No labor. And this is not a DIY job.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

Without getting into all the details you would need to double your budget. A basic rule of thumb is to take whatever price they state on HGTV and add 70%. They are not reality shows. Simply a marketing tool.

• Ben Murphy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    House in Arizona. Remodeled everything but this shower and bathroom vanity. Bladder in the shower pan started to fail so we ripped it out. $200.

I like the conversation so Walk me through some costs that add up to $20k so I can get and idea.
    Starting with shower tile labor $12-14sqft say $2k.
    Re using glass door. More glass, some fasteners $1500.
    2 Shower head, temp call control setups etc $1000.
    .........your turn.

*Def no plans of DIY.
    Posted for design ideas, patterns etc.
  • Ben Murphy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like the vert drains and waterfall tile.
  • User
    6 years ago

You’re not reusing any glass. Just the waterproofing step and labor for straightening out the walls is more than 2K. 2K is some corner standing mouth breather. Not a skilled professional with a license and insurance. Jackhammering the slab to move the drain and achieve the proper grade is 5-7K.

Your inspiration pics are more like 30K showers.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/mountain/

• Ben Murphy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @tundra myself or my gc will pull permits. I dont think ill pay you for design.
    Now I have answered your questions.

@sophie
    Ok $10k for the curbless got it. Probably not worth it.

It doesn’t look like any of you are local so ill use my GC.

We seem to have gotten off track here.

Goal: Looking for design ideas for the area pictured.
  • User
    6 years ago

I just wanted to say that I really like the shower the way it was....

What about just fixed shower glass and no door? Regular drain? No built in bench but you'll have room for a teak bench...that way you would save a little for the curbless shower...

We just did curbless and didn't spend nearly what others say...and yes. Licensed and insured and experienced. We did use boring subway on the walls and hex tile on the floors...so nothing special there. I love it though, especially since the doors in that part of the house are wide enough for a wheelchair (nope...it won't be compliant but it will be more appealing to future buyers).

I would stay away from accent tile...it will be (and kind of is) dated...

• Snaggy
    6 years ago

Please enlighten me ..what does pulling the permits mean ? not a term we use in the UK

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

It means before starting any rebuild the city where you live has codes that need to be met. I travel to Europe and many NA codes are not required in Europe. You will need to see if there are requirements where you live. A curbless shower renovation is very expensive and IMO not worth the money unless in a new build. As for cost there is no way for us to know that in your area. I like to keep the tile cost down by using one tile for the floor and shower walls I happen to like an accent tile to keep the space from looking too sterile. Make sure to not make the shower so large it never warms up, this is a real issue where we have 400 sq ft bathrooms , not usually an issue in Europe.Proper waterproofing is a place where I do not try to save money it is IMO the most important item in a bathroom renovation.

• Snaggy
    6 years ago