Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bristowboy

Can I put a 16" double sliding door on a 21' wall

bristowboy
6 years ago

Looking for professional opinion on this possible design. Is this money well invested in my home and will it look good?

I'm building a home planning to put a 16' sliding door on a 21' great room wall. The sliders will be 4 glass panels 4' each. The center two panels, one sliding left & one sliding right creating an 8' opening onto a back porch over looking a lake.

Comments (19)

• Todd
    6 years ago

My brother has that exact setup in his kitchen which is about that size. They are very nice looking. I have a 12' slider in my new build,. A little smaller room see below

• cheri127
    6 years ago

We have something similar and it looks great!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I think the sliding glass door will look great . . . it is the rest of the house I don't know about.

• User
    6 years ago

Providing the are a quality item they will look great. Anderson makes the best sliders.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Providing that you have the funds for that very expensive choice. 16K for the doors. How much for the steel and structural to make the doors happen entirely depends on what loads are above and what forces are present from outside. Like earthquakes or snow.

• wysmama
    6 years ago
    Sounds great! Not sure why some people feel the need to bring up money and structural issues with every comment...
  • User
    6 years ago

Best to go into it with your eyes open rather a rude shock that just one small wall in your house costs 30K. This isn’t about cheerleading. It’s about information.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

I think Sophie makes a good point. We have several sets of these doors in our new home. Big investment. No regrets here.

Just to point out and worth checking. Our 8 ft tall slider doors were cheaper than the 7ft tall ones in the basement. If the framing wasn't already done we could have had the 8ft for less money.

• dantastic
    6 years ago
    I bought a 16' Andersen slider off Craigslist for $1,200. Totally happy with the units and love the view.
    bristowboy thanked dantastic
  • User
    6 years ago

Beware of "jipper" doors. Sliders ar a whole different animal than windows. Many name brand window companies are known for there quality windows but lack in quality doors. My experience- I would never spec out an Anderson window but always recommend their patio sliders.

bristowboy thanked User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I think it is never a bad idea to have more windows or glass doors. As for the cost I have no idea in your area but this is a lifetime option and IMO worth the money now.I have no idea what Marks comment was referring to .BTW I like the idea of the doors sliding from the center it make for a very nice opening. If you have big $$$$ you could do a nano wall.

bristowboy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Two six foot sliders, and same !!! length elevation windows along side will be $$$ less...........and just as much view. More casing trim and less unbroken glass can be very nice in the dark of evening. Much depends climate, usage, etc. Less weight as well on the "slide"

bristowboy thanked JAN MOYER
  • Elle
    6 years ago
    One thing to think about is bugs.... pretty easy to install the hidden pocket screens for regular sliding glass doors, but I don’t see a good way to do it with the setup you have defined and a lot of bugs can fly through an 8’ opening.
    bristowboy thanked Elle
  • Pinebaron
    6 years ago

Of course you can. Large sliders look good. Initially I was considering panaromic doors for our great room, then felt they were not suitable for PNW climate and changed my mind to sliders; 16' slider, 12' fixed followed by another 16' slider. All doors are 4' wide and 8' tall. Each includes a Top Hung Gliding Insect Screen Track, SRLS, Black (Includes Astragal Screen kit); surprisingly, despite being out in the open, there's a complete lack of flying insects around our property.

bristowboy thanked Pinebaron
  • keyonnimariesmith213
    6 years ago

thanks

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Here's my 16' pocket slider.

• Sam Goh
    6 years ago

We just went through very much the same design question. Back of our house has greatroom, kitchen, and morning room in a L. Greatroom is 20'4", leading out to deck/lake. Originally stained double doors and bank of 2-3 windows on each side. Looked very classy.

We looked then at the Western corner slider because we love the seamless look (https://westernwindowsystems.com/multi-slide-door-systems/series-600-multi-slide-aluminum/). Turns out there's a lot of cost for the doors, and the engineering associated because of the removal of the corner. So we ended up doing 1 long slider and 1 shorter slider meeting at the corner.

How this is related to your question is the long slider. We had options of doing 4x4' like you, but ended up doing 3x5'. Mainly because we wanted the doors to stack to one side, rather than open in the middle. 4 panel would be more room lost on the interior of the house. Originally we were going to do a pocket, but there wasn't enough room on the wall for 3x5' + pocket, so now we are doing one stationary panel but it will open to 10'.

From a design perspective, I have to admit that the house looks different from the outside. I love the view out it gives, but it was a bit jarring with the craftsman/sized windows we had specified. Have you looked at a 3D model to see how the sliders flow with your architecture?

Oh and be sure to check how much the bug screen is. The bug screen for a Western Windows 3x15x8 was almost $2,000! :/

bristowboy thanked Sam Goh
  • trifecta264
    6 years ago

I am not up to date on Anderson's offerings, but for 12 years we had a 16' X 8' Anderson sliding doors. 4 foot sections - outer 2 were fixed and the 2 central opened in front of the fixed ones.
    Went thru Hurricane Katrina fine, were very secure and I had not bought them but I was pleased with the insulation and UV protection. I cannot remember exactly, but at the 9 1/2 year mark the cladding began separating in 1 small section on the exterior and since the doors had a 10 year warranty, they replaced the entire door unit - installation included. I was impressed!

bristowboy thanked trifecta264