Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddy04

In a bathroom remodel, do you typically paint the wall behind the

muddy04
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

vanity? Contractor said vanity goes in first so they don't mess up paint while installing . Dry wall guy recommended paint on that wall over the new sheetrock. Thoughts?

Comments (17)

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Just paint the area that will show. It is easier to paint before the vanity is installed and then touch up the paint. If the vanity is removed in the future, the wall will most likely need to be repainted anyway.

muddy04 thanked tqtqtbw
  • Angel 18432
    6 years ago

I'm anal, and would paint the who wall - no one will see it - but I know it's there.

muddy04 thanked Angel 18432
  • muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ha Angel, I'm the same way!!! The thought of naked drywall lol

• muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

tqtqtbw, so you're saying paint before install too (for parts that will show)

• PRO
    DesignbyRuchi
    6 years ago
    What Kristina said!!!
    muddy04 thanked DesignbyRuchi
  • muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Kristina! I feel better that's why he wants to do it that way, it's just a mess right now w/all the sheetrock stuff. So bare sheetrock behind the vanity is okay?

• muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

my big ole mess :) vanity will go on that back wall

• PRO
    CliqStudios
    6 years ago

The answer may depend on whether or not the vanity you're installing has a full back or if it's "open," so that you can see the wall behind it. If it doesn't have a back, you'll want to get some paint on that sheetrock to help protect it from moisture. It doesn't have to be the greatest paint job or even the same paint that you're using for the rest of the room. A little bit of paint to help seal that drywall will go a long way.

muddy04 thanked CliqStudios
  • muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes CliqStudios, it will be full vanity with tower, no open areas, and only drawers

• justlol
    6 years ago

I would at least put a primer on it.

muddy04 thanked justlol
  • Angel 18432
    6 years ago

just reading that it should at least be primed to stop possible moisture penetrating it. Highly unlikely it would happen, but you never know.

muddy04 thanked Angel 18432
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Yeah throw some paint on literally will take a few minutes and protect from any moisture. Will take less time to paint that small area then it took you to create this post.

muddy04 thanked Elizabeth B
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

I missed that part that you have a contractor. Paint the whole wall.

muddy04 thanked tqtqtbw
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO bare sheetrock absorbs moisture and I always paint behind the vanity before install.

muddy04 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    6 years ago
    We always paint before cabinet installation. Less chance of new cabinetry being damaged by ladders etc. yes you need to touch up at the end...
  • muddy04
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions! Sheetrock is still being worked on will discuss w/contractor again.