Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_regina64

Best vinyl double hung windows advice.

Regina Beck
6 years ago

I have narrowed my choices for replacement vinyl double hung windows to Provia Endure and Pella 250 series. I live about 20 miles south of Cleveland , Ohio and I am in a secondary snow-belt. Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

How did you arrive at only those two? Soft-Lite is based out of Ohio and makes a very nice window in the Elements. I would prefer to see a Polaris UltraWeld over either of the two that you have on that short list as well.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got 3 quotes. 1 was Anderson, Pella and Provia from a company my mother in law used. I will look into Soft Lite as I have not heard of that brand.

Thank you

• George Comerford
    6 years ago

I install the Pella 250 series all the time in New England and they are very good quality windows, hold up well to our harsh winters. I'm not familiar with Provia

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the information, George.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No offense to George Comerford who actually sounds like a painter, but the pella 250 is viewed as a low quality window by most window pro’s. Just look at the ridiculously high air infiltration rating and the need to use “ fuzz pads” in the corners of the meeting rail. They also use a very outdated sill design. Pella is just a name thats in every building supply and home improvement store. Doesnt equate to quality.

the OP should look at high quality vinyl windows such as soft lite, sunrise, okna, or kensington. Also the vytex “potomac series” is very solid.

fwiw, the provia endure is much better than the pella 250 if you had to choose.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Window1. I have been researching for about 2 weeks and all the information is very helpful. I did look into soft lite but am concerned they are small and may go under. I previously experienced this in another home I replaced windows in , a few windows had bad seals after 3 years and I had to purchase new sashes from another co.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Small and will go under? Large companies dont go under? In fact, a larger company has a much higher chance of going under than a medium sized like soft lite. They have much higher costs and any dip in the economy can cause a big financial issue as well as massive lay offs. Bear stearns, lehman brothers, kodak, radio shack,, they were all large companies. I see Lowes home improvement closing a lot of stores. How about Sears... you think they will be around much longer?

Try calling a big company when you have a problem and let me know if they treat you just like a number... thats flawed thinking Regina. Thats like the person who wants to hire the “ local guy”.. is there something in the water that precludes the local guy from going bankrupt???? I never quite understood that logic.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't say large companies cannot go under, I was stating that I went with a small company and they went under so I had no warranty or company for my issues. So from my experiences I would like to avoid that again.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Most of the better Windows are "midsize" companies . The " large companies like Anderen , Pella and Jeld-Wen are made at a price point and show it in there visual quality as well as measured structural quality. Better to replace the glass than the whole window IMO.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

The good mid sized companies are growing on quality, the large one on lowest price.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Todd. I am replacing 84 lumber builder grade widows that are drafty and had some frost on the inside this past winter. At this point plastic would probably make me happy! LOL

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

It would be silly then to replace your builder grade Windows with builder grade Windows regardless of what material they are made of unless your in it for the short haul. Do me a favor and look at cheap vinyl product and some of the recommended one, usually to most it is pretty obvious to the eye.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

Regina, keep in mind that size is relative. Softlite and other similarly sized companies like Okna, Sunrise, Polaris (Modern Builders Supply) and others, are deep into 8 figures of yearly revenue, ranked in the top 100 manufacturers, and have been around for a couple decades at minimum. This size narrative is not a valid one, and is pushed by dealers that choose to offer products from conglomerate-type companies, despite the fact that those companies typically offer products that are watered down by bean-counters trying to save a penny on each window. In addition, manufacturers small, medium, and large alike have all hit bankrupcty, reorganizations, buyouts, etc. Nothing is guaranteed either way, but your best bet is to look for a manufacturer with a solid history and excellent products. Those guys don't go anywhere in most cases... Same goes for choosing an installation dealer.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Totally agree with HomeSealed on that. Well said.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you HomeSealed, I really appreciate your advice. Whew, so much to think about. I may be soured due to a bad experience with the small company I used in my prior home. I am taking all the information in and continue to do my research.

• George Comerford
    6 years ago

Sorry, offense taken Window1. I don't know what you base the statement "actually sounds like a painter" on from the 2 sentences I wrote but it was obviously an attempt to make my opinion less than credible. Regina, I would be careful taking advice from someone that feels the need to denigrate someone else's opinion to try to make theirs seem more valid. For the record I install windows 5-6 days a week and have been doing so for close to 30 years. I install Pella, Anderson, Reliabuilt, Simonton, Harvey and about a dozen other brands based on the customers needs and budget. I commented on the brands you asked about based on my experience, if you would like recommendations on other products I would be happy to offer an opinion if asked. Unlike a lot of other people in this business I do not have a horse in the race and I put my customers needs first, no single window brand is the right answer to every customers needs. I am not in your area so I can not personally help you but I assure you I am qualified. I have a business page on facebook if you want to see examples of my craftsmanship, search PGC Enterprises.

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

George, I also was put off by the, what I felt, antagonistic tone. I appreciate the help you have provided.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Excellent points, been pretty boring without the Fridge's commentary lately.

• George Comerford
    6 years ago

On the header of the window you mentioned, the window is taped to the sheathing and then the paper was taped, the next day we added more paper on the sides and retaped it, I didn't like the bare spots we found under the siding when we stripped it. I probably should have taken pictures after that but didn't think of it.

As far as the windows I install, budget is a factor with a lot of customers and the Pella 250 is a better quality window in it's price range than you are giving it credit for in my opinion. Is it the Ferrari of windows? No, but it's not priced like one either. Is it a solid performing lower range window? In my opinion, yes it is.

I also see you are the resident grammar police, keep up the good work!

• Regina Beck
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sounds like you all know each other! Thanks for the laughs and the advice!!

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    6 years ago

One of the largest window manufactures in the country has lost money every year for the last several years. And were talking $100mm in losses per year, owned by a public company so this info is public and has been passed around more than once. Being too large has a lot of risk. The premium quality windows are mostly provided by "smaller" manufacturers. Although I wouldn't call $50-$100mm in annual revenue small. Of those two the Provia would be my choice but there are much better imo

Regina Beck thanked Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

You're statement is vague and pointless. All companies run risk regardless of size a lot of factors involved . Since this is public information perhaps you could elaborate more to make your point.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Yeah, what company are you referring to ?

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Sorry only -$32mm.
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

You could also list smaller companies that have actually gone bankrupt and liquidated to make a counter point , such as Gorell or Wellington. I would not rule one out either way but would recommend one close to the top 100.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    I know you like to argue but the point is the OP would rather use a large company because of security from bankruptcy. I was stating the size of the company is mostly irrelevant. That’s the point, large and small companies can go out of business not saying that example is on its way out and they most likely aren’t but size isn’t necessarily an indicator
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I think our point was more focused on the fact that larger companies go bankrupt just as easily as small ones.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

My point is that many points have been confusing or misleading. Soft-Lite is called mid-sized in some post then Alside is called a large company to suit ones point. One says that large companies are much more likely to fold than smaller ones, but now just as easily. If I were a betting man, I would place my bets on the "large" companies(i'll say over a billion in gross sales) over all the others and especially the small ones (less than 15 million). I would take the top 50 over bottom 50 as well. Poor examples of large failed companies were used to make a point and not one mention of all the failed small companies.

Regina Beck thanked toddinmn
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I agree Todd.

• Debbie Lindsay
    2 years ago

Wow! i was looking for ”useful” window information here and found a bunch of smart ass comments and rude remarks aimed at one another’s opinions.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

So...what is your question then? I am sure folks can be of assistance. Or would you like to start another thread vs. bumping up one that was otherwise 3 years dormant?

• fridge2020
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Welcome to the internet Debbie. You should see this thing that the kids these days call "social media". Its even worse!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

No soup for you!