Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmar77

kitchen design questions

Char Martin
6 years ago
Ok. I would love some input! I am designing our kitchen. we have a vaulted ceiling. our window is going to be tall. we have two large school house style pendants with oil rubbed bronze chains for over the island. we are doing white cabinets and a medium stained island. Questions....Should all the small doors on top have frosted glass,or just some of them. if I have dark chain on pendant do I need dark hardware? what about countertop?

Comments (42)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Can we see a 2D layout please?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Sophie, the cooking zone is one cabinet away from what appears to be the sink and only 12" from the corner cabinet.

• User
    6 years ago

OK, I see it now. Just as bad as an island with zero room for any real work.

• Anna S
    6 years ago
    2D or eye level 3D rendering, please. Also, height measurements (cabinet height, ceiling height).

From this drawing, it looks top heavy. But it is a view no one will ever see.
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hey thanks for all your input..
    the island isn't on the photo. I'll post another photo of the island. it will be in the center of the kitchen. the center of it will be centred up with the sink. Sorry. I don't have a better photo
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    the ceiling at the lowest is 9 feet. so the wall that the fridge sits against is 9 feet. then it is vaulted. so the center of the vault lines up with center of window, sink and island
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    this is the size of kitchen.
  • beachem
    6 years ago

I would take away the two uppers on either side of the window and let it breathe.

• emilyam819
    6 years ago

I’d do all the doors at the top with glass except for over the fridge and pantry.

It would be a really functional layout if you switched the fridge to where pantry is and moved the stove to the short wall... if fridge wouldn’t interfere with french doors.

Ditch the corner appliance garage regardless. It’s a space hog and looks dated.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    where would the pantry go?
  • emilyam819
    6 years ago

Maybe a pullout style wherever it fits. Probably on stove side. If that is a microwave in the original pantry, you can easily find a new location - on counter in the corner or built in in island.

• emilyam819
    6 years ago

This kind of pantry takes up less space.

Pullout Wood Pantry · More Info

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    that's neat. I like to put larger things in my pantry. could it go where the fridge is now and put the stove immediately beside?
  • emilyam819
    6 years ago

Yes, but you need some space on the side of the stove for safety. I think it’s 15”.

• emilyam819
    6 years ago

The reason I recommended these changes is because you take things out of the fridge, bring to sink to wash, chop/prep on counter between sink and stove, cook. So you want your layout to be in that order. And you want to maximize your prep space, which is between sink and stove. There is a ton of discussion on this forum about ice-water-stone-fire if you want to look it up.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I’m not fond of the corner being blocked off with that cabinet. Too claustrophobic.
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have asked my kitchen designer to make some changes. eliminate the corner garage. switch the fridge and pantry and put in a pull out pantry that was suggested. only wider. stove on shorter wall. microwave in Island. dishwasher on other side of sink. see how this looks. :-) Does anyone have ideas on hardware and countertop color choices?
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

I’d also make the French doors onto the covered porch an outswing.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    yes. We are planning to change that and we are moving the French doors over a little
  • caligirl5
    6 years ago

Is this a remodel or new build? It does seem like a lot of cabinets. Here's what I would change:

• - Eliminate the corner appliance garage. Also many people here prefer easy-reach for upper corner cabinets.
    • - Lower cabinets changed to all drawers
    • - Bigger window if possible, or at least fewer cabinets around the window for more breathing room.
    • - Experiment with ways to reduce the busyness. Like not doing a stacked cabinet where not needed from a height perspective, eg. above the fridge, pantry, range hood. Or using wider cabinets. I like stacked cabinets best when they're mixed in with other cabinets--a less busy look as well as more functional and cost-effective. See this kitchen with stacked cabinets only all the range wall--I think it would be too much if they'd done it over the fridge wall too.

2013 Spring Parade Of Homes · More Info

2013 Spring Parade Of Homes · More Info

• I do agree with emilyam819 that the work area is a bit cramped on one side. Do you have flexibility with the window location?

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

Add my vote to move the fridge to the other side of the sink, put the range on the short wall, easy-reach upper and no appliance garage in the corner. I use my super susan for small appliances, and it works great.

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

Back to the small upper cabinets: what do you plan to keep in there? My upper shelves store things like Christmas cookie tins and Bundt pans, things I rarely/seasonally use. I don't want to look through a glass door at that stuff. If you're planning something more attractive than stacked cookie tins to look at, glass is good.

Speaking of things on high shelves, have you planned a place to store your step stool so you can reach those cabinets when you need to? Ours ended up beside the refrigerator (more or less by accident) and it's been the best. In addition to being able to get down cookie tins and baking sheets stored over the fridge, it's been invaluable for the small fry. Our GD, now 5, paints at the island and "washes up" in the sink with the help of the step stool. I'd hate to have to go get it from the garage as needed.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I keep a folding step stool under the sink, and use it often.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

Yes to the suggestions to change appliance line-up to fit ice-water-stone-fire route. However, I wouldn't move the range to the short wall. I'd keep it on the exterior wall (easier to vent). I'd also keep the pantry next to the fridge so that all food stuff is in one location, which will make it easy to put groceries away (I assume you come in from the garage through the laundry room). This also keeps the fridge closest to the dining room (which I spy in the top right corner).

Here's what I mean:

I assumed that the window placement can be shifted since you wrote that you're changing the location of the patio doors (which I also made out-swing and shifted towards the top of the drawing). I widened the window as caligirl suggested.

The island, as drawn in your plan, is not long enough for 4 seats (allow 24" per person) but you can fit 4 at the island I drew with one at the end.

How large is your laundry room? Could you post a photo showing more of the first floor?

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    would it not look best for the window to be centred with the vault?
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    here is the main floor plan
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Where do the stairs in the garage lead? To the basement, same as the interior set of stairs? Do you need both staircases?

I have an idea but it would work best if I could shift the garage entry into the laundry room but the garage stairs interfere with that idea.

Next question: where do you plan to put your TV? You have no walls in the living room so I'm assuming you'll mount it over the mantle. If that's what you're doing, pay attention to the mantle height (don't do a raised hearth) so that you don't end up with a front-row-of-movie-theater scenario.

The other option would be to split the large window in two and put the TV and video/audio components between the 2 windows.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Have you tried placing furniture in the living room yet? It's not going to be easy. Corner fireplaces are much more difficult to design around and with the opening to your master suite on one side and the windows on the other, I'm worried you won't have room for furniture.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    we arent planning to put in a fireplace anymore. I'll post a photo of the idea we have for revising master En suite. also we prob won't be putting a TV on the main level. the stairs going from garage into basement need to stay.
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

You wrote that you aren't planning on a fireplace but the above drawing includes one. No matter, it doesn't impact the kitchen plan I came up with.

I used part of the laundry/mud room to create a walk-in pantry. It would be like this:

Stonewall Farmhouse · More Info

The range hood is centered on the peak of the vault with windows on each side of it.

Vaulted Ceiling Kitchen, Rockville Centre 1404 · More Info

Rufty Homes - Kitchen · More Info

You're going to need to plan your lighting well to account for the additional ceiling height. I recommend that you consult with a lighting designer.

Or you could only vault the LR ceiling and leave the kitchen's ceiling at standard height. That would make it easier to light the kitchen plus you'd be able to take the upper cabs to the ceiling, eliminating the need to dust the tops of the uppers.

Wine Country European Home · More Info

I added cabs, counter and window to the deck side of the house and moved the clean-up sink and DW to that end.

That reduced the island size a bit but there's still room for 4 at the counter with one at the end facing the fridge. I added a prep sink and a MW drawer to the island. You could also put the MW in the pantry, as shown in the photo above.

Have you done your kitchen tally to determine how much storage you need? Do that before you spend $$$ and unnecessarily crowd your kitchen with cabinets.

I moved the washer, dryer and utility sink to the garage wall. The coat closet is back to back with the fridge alcove. There's a row of 12" deep, floor to ceiling cabs for additional storage, making up for the other storage closet you had in the laundry room. Shallow storage is a great place for storing paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc. You could also use these cabs as back-up pantry space for canned goods.

And yes, what cpartist wrote: consider how you're going to arrange furniture in your living room. It helps that you're not going to have a TV in the LR but you still need to think about seating and traffic flow.

• emilyam819
    6 years ago

Nice plan.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I hope you are still here:-) how would this work? the only concern we have is that the stove and fridge might be too far apart.
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Switch pantry with the fridge so the pantry is on the end. This way you have a counter to unload stuff from the fridge.

Where is the window in the layout?

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    it is behind sink. in the center of the main wall. do you think I should move stove over toward sink alittle as well?
  • zmith
    5 years ago

Charmar, you seem to be set on making the sink the focal point of your kitchen. Is that correct?

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    with the vault hitting center of wall and a tall window in center do you have another suggestion?
  • lisa_a
    5 years ago

charmar77, do you realize that your latest plan is exactly what I suggested on March 6 at 9:38am? Are you asking if I think it will still work or did you not realize the plan was already proposed?

That said, it looks like you've gained more wall space for the fridge and pantry. Did you change the laundry room doorway? Or change the kitchen's size?

If it's the same size and laundry room is in the same location as before, I wouldn't swap locations for the pantry and fridge, as cpartist suggested, because you won't have enough room to the right of the fridge to open the door wide enough to pull out fridge drawers.

If, however, you do have a wider wall and have at least 15" to the right, then yes, swapping the fridge and pantry would work.

Did you see the plan I posted on March 8 at 3:26pm? Thoughts?

• zmith
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, Charmar

I only asked because that's where your mindset seemed to be based on your responses. If you have a large, tall window centered on the wall and the ceiling
    peak, it makes sense from an aesthetic point of view to place the sink
    centered on that wall. There's nothing wrong with symmetry if the overall function of the kitchen works for you.

Do you have any inspiration pictures for how you want the kitchen to look and feel?

The kitchen below is a mirror image of your most recent layout sketch and Lisa_A's layout from 3/6/18 at 9:38 am. This kitchen is light and airy with the absence of upper cabinets and a table instead of an island. Your kitchen will have a more traditional feel.

Mocabee · More Info

If you're not putting a prep sink in the island, then your sink and stove are not too far apart. Imho, your stove is too far from the refrigerator, but it may not be an issue for you.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    if my measurements are correct. I have 105 inches of wall space on the wall that backs into the laundry. I will need to make sure of that and go measure it soon. so if the counter top takes 25" and an added 15" then the 36" fridge and then pantry on the end. my only concern is that I might not like how far apart the stove and fridge would be. it makes me wonder if my original plan is best? thoughts?
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I would like kitchen to have a simple slightly modern farmhouse feel. white cabinets. stained island. 2 larger schoolhouse style pendant lights.
  • zmith
    5 years ago

Your original appliance layout might be the one that works best with the aesthetics of the window centered on the wall with the vaulted ceiling. Just for fun I searched "modern farmhouse" and included a few pics below. Each is unique. I like the look of the glass door cabinets in the first picture below.

Remodel Project · More Info

Kitchen transformation · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info