Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Best Master bath lighting?

bossyvossy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

May have to remodel sooner than I hoped and I haven’t built my idea board. I have a soffit hiding ductwork—it will stay. Need good lighting for makeup and for shaving (not me, silly, DH!). I need help w/functionality not finishes, paint or cabinetry. Just best lighting. So, what is best lighting?

recessed in soffit

Above mirror

Sconces

Right now im looking input on best lighting to SEE what I’m doing! I seem to remember certain lighting create unflattering shadows, but don’t remember which.

Comments (15)

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have something similar to this, Hollywood lights that don’t work. I do have a lighted table mirror.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

A combination of overhead and sconce lighting gives the most even light.

bossyvossy thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wonder if there’s a source where one can find optimal vanity lighting positioning, like you do with pendant light to tabletop in DR.

We remodeled another bathroom where we did recessed in soffit and one sconce between 2 mirrors but it’s not used daily so can’t assess if lighting is optimal. It seems to be.

• User
    6 years ago

We have recessed lights over the mirror in our master bath, and the shadows are awful for putting on makeup, shaving, etc. I’d much prefer what I always had in previous homes — vanity lights facing downwards (as in your 2nd picture). We have other lights in there (tub, shower, toilet), but they don’t help the vanity area.

Of course there are other factors involved ... if there is any natural light, height of recessed lights (ours are too high up), brightness of bulbs, etc. So it may work fine in some cases.

bossyvossy thanked User
  • chispa
    6 years ago

Layers of lighting that you can control with different switches and dimmers.

In my master bath I have 2 recessed lights in the middle area of the bathroom, 3 sconces in the mirror around head height, 1 chandelier near the tub, 2 recessed lights in the shower and a fan/light combo in toilet area. Also have a large window in tub area, small window in shower and small window in toilet area.

bossyvossy thanked chispa
  • bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have window by tub, lighting over tub, over shower and a Chandy in center of room but I wasn’t counting them.

So recessed lights w/sconces it is. Thanks, all.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Who knew. The American Lighting Assn offers some guidelines. They are not written in stone but are useful and will be a starting point for me.

For ex., sconces s/b mounted at eye level and s/b 26-30” apart for optimal illumination.

above mirror light s/b about 80” from the floor.

Recessed lighting does cast a shadow and s/b combined w/additional lights for optimal illumination.

dimmers!!!

• enduring
    6 years ago

Listen to @chispa, she has the goods. I have 2 sconces at about head height in my bathroom with high lumins output. Halogen 100 each in one bathroom and 120 each in another. Defending on your finishes, will depend on lighting needs. One bathroom is lightly colored and needs less light than the other room that has walnut cabinets. I have an 18” vanity in the room that DH shaves in and it is great. Less leaning towards the mirror.

bossyvossy thanked enduring
  • bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will listen. Enduring, what do you mean by less leaning towards mirror? Do you mean avoid installation that causes glare? Last night I realized I need to study on lumens and LEDs, etc.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Regarding leaning. I used to have a 24” deep vanity in my bathroom and I could never get close enough to the mirror. The vanity kept me from getting close for applying makeup clearly. I’d have to get inbetween the vanity and toilet so I could get closer to the wall with the mirror. My current 21” deep vanity that replaced the old vanity is better, but the 18” deep vanity, I have in another bathroom, is even better. DH shaves at the 18” vanity.

bossyvossy thanked enduring
  • joyana38
    6 years ago

Lighting in my bathroom has always been important, specially when applying make-up, I preffer the lighting in the 3rd picture, an overall good light in all the bathroom.

bossyvossy thanked joyana38
  • Sammy
    6 years ago

I highly recommend the addition of a wall-mounted, lighted makeup/shaving mirror, like this:

One for your side and one for your husband’s.

P.S. To enduring: This would be the solution to your problem, too!

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I considered wall mounted m/up mirror but I have a sit down section of vanity and a surface top mirror is better. For hubs, wall mount w/b too far from sink. It’s a large vanity.

in fact, my bathroom is pointlessly oversized. I’d give up the space in it and add it to laundry room, if it were practical to do so.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I have 2 sconces at eye-level and an overhead light. I think it's wonderful. But my old bathroom had only a boob light in the center of the room, so my baseline may be off. Talk about shadows!