Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adoptbuffalopups

Barely there Bathroom

adoptbuffalopups
6 years ago
Hi! We have a SMALL half bath, about 5x4 with no outside facing windows. We recently had to gut it and it is currently dry walled and primed, waiting for paint. I have a color scheme in mind but wanted to see if there were any better suggestions. So, if you have any color ideas for a tiny room with little natural light it would be appreciated! Note we did already get a white vanity. We will also be lightening the floor to a light gray / wood color.

Comments (43)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Sometimes the best thing you can do in a small space with limited light is to embrace the darkness. Go for a dark, bold color- navy, emerald green, even red.

Also, I wouldn't ruin your hardwood by making it gray (a trend that is already very close to dead).

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thankfully it’s a very cheap glued laminate, not hardwood. We just want a light floor. What would you recommend ?
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

If it's a cheap laminate don't worry about it then. I'd still recommend staying away from any gray wood looks, but a gray tile or another lighter color would be fine.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I second the admonition about grey being in its death throes and embracing a dark color. A nice navy blue would be fabulous with a white vanity. Maybe a touch of brass for the mirror. Good luck with your project.

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The adjoining living room is white Wainscoting with a dark blue gray color so I think that would match too closely. But we do love that!! Definitely no gray floor then. I like white but it may be too much with a white vanity?
  • adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It was previously a dark red vertical striped room so I don’t want to go too dark. It felt very closed off and not welcoming. But it’s something to consider
  • laughablemoments
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We’re in the midst of renovating our attic into a master suite. The master bathroom isn’t very big, is windowless, and has a sloped ceiling over part of it. We went with a color somewhat similar to SW Comfort Gray, or almost an exact match to Gina’s Eyes, which I believe Valspar makes. (We used some oops Paint we had on hand, so I can’t get very specific on the color.)

• calidesign
    6 years ago

Since your room next to it is dark, I would stick with an all white bathroom, and find a colorful or unique mirror and lighting for interest. You could also use a wallpaper with a light background, which will give you the illusion of depth.

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We were thinking SW sea salt or rain washed so I think lighter may be better like you said because of the dark room next to it. It’s like a green gray
  • laughablemoments
    6 years ago

I don’t have personal experience with it, but from what I’ve read, SW Sea Salt is very pretty, but doesn’t shine as a great color in low light rooms. So, you might want to research that one a little bit.

I looked up the colors online that you are considering, and think Oyster Bay (which is on the same strip as the colors you are considering) is quite close to what we used in our bathroom, probably a closer match than comfort gray. One of the colors SW recommends as a coordinating color to Oyster Bay is Prairie Grass. That color is not unlike your couches and carpet in the living room. One nice way to get a good flow between rooms is to flip flop main colors and accent colors. So, Prairie Grass might be nice in the bathroom, if you are open to it, since it would carry that warm light brown from the living room into the bathroom, and wouldn’t repeat the greenish gray of the living room.

• PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 years ago

Hang a ceiling to floor mirror on the back wall. This will make it look larger. I would have fun with the floor. Powder rooms are suppose to be a surprise! How about a vintage mosaic design. Lots of things you can do!

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

A tiny room is an wallpaper opportunity. White for fixtures and vanity. Pick something with a large size print.

• susanopeno182
    6 years ago

I agree about the wallpaper. Powder rooms are a perfect opportunity to get creative. There’s probably a bold color/print you’ve always loved, but you’ve never had the guts to use it. Here’s your chance!

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

I agree with the others. I would wallpaper and have one of the walls mirrored or at least a portion of it. I have a very small half bath and I was super concerned with it as we were building. I put wainscoting on the bottom portion and mirrored the half above the sink. It is amazing how large the bathroom seems now. I am also getting ready to wallpaper the top portion. So I say, "Go for it!"

This is not my bathroom, but my inspiration photo.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/elegant-powder-bath-traditional-powder-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~434964

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Are you keeping a pedastool sink or getting a vanity ? That wallpaper is beautiful. I don’t think we have room for wainscoting but it would tie in the den which does have it
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

I have a pedestal sink. I also got a more narrow one to again make the room larger. The brand was Vitra.

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We currently have the old pedastool I just didn’t care for it m. This is how the room used to look
  • adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Disclaimer - we bought it like that lol
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I vote for a fun wallpaper.... I know it’s kind of overdone, but I love the birch trees in gray and white...

You could also tile the whole wall behind the sink...I love the white subway. I’m using sheets of white glazed penny tile...it’s not grouted yet....I have the same situation. Small power room with no window.

Have fun with it!
  • mizsusan
    6 years ago

Really light with just tiny pops of subtle colors like light aqua or light blue, OR crazy dark. It is the perfect place to have FUN with it

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I love how they had to add that storage cabinet between the sink and the toilet. That right there tells you that you need to get rid of the pedestal sink!
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

My pedestal sink is more like the one Melissa shows in her pictures. I also agree with doing a fun wallpaper. I am planning on one that incorporates cherry blossoms.

Also, now that I see the way your bathroom used to look with the red wallpaper, I am totally seeing a tile or wood wainscoting around the bottom. It would be perfect for that!

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Mom2sulu...would love to see your cherry blossom bath when it’s finished!!
  • lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

How about a photomural ... either urban or forest path.

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago

me too! if you guys have any wall paper suggestions that are similar to the one in mom2sulu pic that would be great. since I was going for a light green color that actually fits the scheme

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago

that is pretty cool

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

This is the website where I found my wallpaper. I had a good shopping experience with them and received my paper within a week. (Hopefully, I will get mine up in the next couple weeks!)

Here is a good start on looking for your greens.

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/c-645-green-wallpaper.aspx?facet=design-style:98

• susanopeno182
    6 years ago
    A large scale geometric print can be bold without overwhelming the space.
  • susanopeno182
    6 years ago
    Or, if you like the look, I can’t think of anything more stylish than chinoiserie wallpaper. I think “couture” whenever I see it.
  • PRO
    Rachelle
    6 years ago
    I love the idea of wallpaper in something bright and floral.
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

The wallpaper idea is awesome!

I also think no pedestal sink so you can have some storage for extra toilet paper, etc.

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

I immediately thought of wallpaper when looking at your space. As a lover of all things Sarah Richardson, I thought of a wallpaper with trees and birds she used in a small bath. Someday I'm going to convince DH that wallpaper is a good thing (again). On my way of finding photos of that, I came across another possibility.

Source is found in text HERE.

This is the paper I hope to someday have. LINK.

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

I love that bird paper! It would look lovely in her space.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

Walk in shower?

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Soooo pretty mom2sulu!!!
  • User
    6 years ago

I would faux silver leaf the entire thing...

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is where we are at so far! I love it!
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

LOVE it!!!! Wow, what a difference!

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Before and after. We aren’t done decorating yet though
  • laughablemoments
    6 years ago

That’s so pretty, adoptbuffalopups! What color did you end up choosing?

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

Huge improvement, good job!

• adoptbuffalopups
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It is sea salt by Sherwin Williams. It’s such a pretty color