Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagoni

Minimum dimensions for a shower

Eirini Pagoni
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

this is the plan I made for my new bathroom-its dimensions are 175*180. The longest is on the right hand side where the shower is.

The plumber told me that the shower is small.

So which are the min dimensions for it? Should I place the shower somewhere else?

I welcome any alternatives on this plan!

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• suezbell
    6 years ago

A tub/shower enclosure is about 2'x5'. I cannot imagine wanting a shower smaller than that, especially if, in lieu of a shower curtain that moves, the door is solid and fixed. In fact, 3'x4' or even 3'x5' would be better. You need to be able to bend over and touch your toes without bumping your head. My 6'2" brother had one of those 3'x3' for a time and hated it -- you'd have to use a long handled back brush to wash your feet.

Eirini Pagoni thanked suezbell
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago

New build, reno, addition? Can walls, door, window move?

800x800mm is generally the minimum standard size for a shower. I think the code is slightly less than that. Code is not comfort though. 900x900mm is a far more comfortable size.
    I disagree entirely with the above comment. There's clearly no space for a 5foot shower here. That's luxurious. Not minimum. 3x3' leaves a diagonal length of over 4'.

You need 540mm, if I recall correctly, clearance space in front of the toilet to the shower.
    So working with your current proposed layout;
    800(shower) + 540(clearance) = 1340(shower+clearance)
    1800(available) - 1340(shower+clearance) = 460(available for toilet)

Most toilets are considerably longer than that.

You also have a tightish spot between the vanity and shower corners, but it should be manageable.

Switching the toilet and shower (and rotating the toilet) would be a better layout, but windows in showers are generally problematic

Switching the vanity and shower may work better too.

Eirini Pagoni thanked Najeebah
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If that is your plan above and you have not quite a 6' x 6' foot bath, you really have a problem. It is too small for all three elements. Period.

Find two feet on the long wall.

Eirini Pagoni thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

My home had a 5.5' x 5.5' master bath, which was the height of luxury in 1924 when the house was built! It was incredibly tight with a corner neo-angle shower (24" x 24") and a corner sink. Make it bigger if at all possible, or just have a sink and commode and use it as a powder room.

Eirini Pagoni thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Min shower size is 30" X 30" and you should have 24" clearance in front of the opening. In front of the toilet or vanity, you need 21" clearance.

Eirini Pagoni thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

I would probably do something like this

Eirini Pagoni thanked GN Builders L.L.C