Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex_m75

Stock or Custom cabinets?

Alexander
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

How do I tell whether this kitchen can use stock cabinets or will need custom/semi-custom? Also, is cabinet refacing an option here or should I go for full replacement?

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

You must have money to burn. Those cabinets do not need to be replaced.

• thetzone
    6 years ago

Holy crap...WHY? That kitchen is great! Get a new backsplash and figure out a way to mesh the floors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Why do you want to mess with these cabinets? It also looks like the countertops were raised several inches perhaps for taller owners. Notice how high bottom of dishwasher looks. Is that stainless around toe kick area? Depending on what your goals are paint change might be useful. Give us more insights on why you want changes?
    Alexander thanked Flo Mangan
  • Dawn Nagayama
    6 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! I personally don't care for the countertops/backsplash, but I know it's purely personal taste. I refinished a kitchen back in 2011 that had oak cabinets with grey Corian countertops. I was adding cabinets so I chose to replace rather than refinish. I found out later that I could probably have added cabinets and then refinished the existing cabinets to match. Given the cabinets I chose, I wish I would have chosen to refinish. I did have the installers carefully remove the cabinets and was able to resell the cabinets (though I probably could have gotten even more for them than I did). The decision to go custom will depend on the design. Hope that helps!

Alexander thanked Dawn Nagayama
  • Alexander
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your feedback!!

Reasons for wanting to "redo" things, even though budget is limited:

1. 1) The pictures are a few years old, so there's a bit more wear and tear on the cabinets
      2) I want to get rid of that contraption, and I'm afraid I wont be able to find the same type style cabinets.

3) I'd like to add an island to get a bit more countertop space, as well
    as cabinet storage space, again, same concern about matching the
    cabinets.

4) There's no vent/exhaust to outside and we like to cook, so I'd like to also add a hood.
    5) I'd like to change out the tile for something else. Not a big fan of
    wood floors in the kitchen. Wood-looking tile could be an option. Speaking of floors, thinking of putting a gray-ish stain on the floors.

6) Not a big fan of the countertop color, but maybe like Sophie mentioned because it flows into the backsplash, there's just too much of it. Possibly if we change out the backsplash, it would look nicer.

Thanks!

• Alexander
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is there any way to tell who the manufacturer of the cabinets is? I checked inside the drawers, and inside the cabinet boxes...

Thanks!

• User
    6 years ago

Please don't do wood looking anything next to real wood

Alexander thanked User
  • Alexander
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Ranmarie, point taken.

• Alexander
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you think it would be possible to match up the same cabinets to "complete" the space as I described? i.e. another cabinet instead of the weird "contraption" and an island

Thanks in advance!

• User
    6 years ago

First, do you have a better picture of the stainless whatchamacallit? Do you know what it is? And second, I’d just do an island in an accent color. That isn’t an issue. I think a great color like a red or a green would be great in the room.

Alexander thanked User
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You have a big wish list. Getting a hood into this kitchen will be tricky. It would involve getting proper vent fan and ducting run to outside. Is there attic above the range area? You can get a replacement cabinet in a frosted glass to replace “the contraption”. Funny, that looks cool. Is it in bad shape? Any island would need to be mobile type because code requires electrical outlets in permanent islands. Not sure of measurements either. You need at least 42” from appliances to edge of island. Flooring will need to be figured out. Lighting too. Seems to me this is something you need an architect to assess your home and make some assessments on feasibility of your want list and ballpark costs.
  • Lyndee Lee
    6 years ago
    Island doesnt need to match, just top it with stainless steel to repeat the toekick. If you are going to put in a real hood, use the removed cabinets where the stainless steel item is now. Mount them even with the tops of the right side and make up a height difference with an open shelf underneath
    Alexander thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Lois P
    6 years ago
    Beautiful cabinets. I would change back splash only. And the floor should be same as rest of area. Great architecture.
    Alexander thanked Lois P
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You have a dishwasher below the “contraption” and that is not a good location for a range that close to sink. Plus, you have to relocate dishwasher, so you are remodeling the whole kitchen. This is going to roll into total remodel so best to sit down with architect or kitchen designer and see how realistic your wishes are with your budget.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I would get floors to match the rest of the space , some more lighting in the kitchen I think a peninsula with some stools would have been nice but really the cabinets look to be fine . I don’t even hate the backsplas it matches the counters

Alexander thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting