Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

roses that shoot babies rather than grow tall

mary_rockland
6 years ago

Hi,

Just wondering if others have experienced this problem with any of their very hardy roses. I have a Therese Bugnet that is lovely and thick and tall. I took one of the few suckers that grew from it and have tried to grow it as a nice tall shrub like it's momma, I'll call this baby the daughter. Instead of the daughter growing either thick or tall it sent shoots some 5 feet away and that plant *the granddaughter) grew up to five feet tall at the expense of the daughter plant getting over a few feet tall.

I had a similar experience with a Double Blanc de Coubert. This was the original and I'm pretty sure it was grafted. Rather than growing more than 2 or 3 feet tall it shot out roots 5 feet away in the middle of some perennials, and those shoots in the middle of the perennials grew very healthy.

It's bad enough when the original plant won't grow to height, (I have views to block) but if it has to waste energy on shoots do they have to grow five feet away from the mother? It's not even as if the soil is better where the shoots come up. Well, just wondering if there are ways to encourage these ladies to stand up proud and grow for themselves rather than sacrifice themselves for babies.

Comments (2)

Sponsored