Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebroline

Help with Island Pendant Lighting - PB Flynn Oversized Pendants

ebroline
6 years ago

Hi there! I'm in need of help with proper placement and number of Pottery Barn Flynn Oversized Pendants above our new construction island. The island will be 10' x 4' and our construction plans currently have electrical for 2 pendants (we still have time to change this to 3 when we do electrical walk-through). I changed my mind after seeing so many photos on Houzz with 3 pendants over larger islands, so I purchased 3 of the Pottery Barn Flynn Oversized Pendants (got a great deal at $100 off a piece!). Well, they arrived, and are even huger than I imagined! I love them, but now am second guessing my decision to do 3. Attached is a photo of the pendant, as well as a few mock-ups I did to give me an idea on spacing/quantity. There seem to be multiple opinions out there on how much space to leave from the edge of the island and in between each pendant, so I didn't know what would look best. For reference, the pendants measure 17" in diameter by 24" high. We have 9'4" ceilings. I'm also attaching a rendering of the planned kitchen (the hood will be white, not wood as shown). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Erin

Comments (87)

• ebroline
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pwanna - Thanks for sharing! Those look great! No need to apologize for mess...I've got boys...I know mess! ;)

• Sam Goh
    6 years ago

@pwanna1 those are some beautiful pendants. Do you find they provide enough task lighting with the darker counter?

• pwanna1
    6 years ago

Sabrinatx...I measured and they're 16". Sam. There is plenty of task light from them. They're very bright. You can kind of see I have can lights as well...I never use the cans and the pendants at the same time.

• jaimeeap
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a 10 ft island and went with 2 large pendants (mine are 22" diameter and 36" high). I love them and 3 would have been way to much, but mine have a shade so I won't post a pic as the look is different. I think with all the components I'm seeing in your rendering, 2 would do the space justice. 3 will look crowded, in my opinion. You will lose the focal point of the wall behind with the hood.

ebroline thanked jaimeeap
  • Sam Goh
    6 years ago

Seems like that there are lots of differing opinions here but it's good to read. I'm going for symmetry, with the sink in the island and the rangetop on the back wall being centered. Then divide the island with the two pendants in between the middle line, and edge of the counter.

Worse comes to worse, it was just a pendadventure right? :) only $5-600!

• purplensx
    5 years ago

How did you find those pendants for $100 off? My current island is 10' x 5' and I have 3 large rustic pendants from pottery barn. They are slightly smaller than the flynn. I'm working on a new kitchen with the same size 9' ceiling, 10x5 island, and am leaning toward using 3 of the large flynn. I feel like I could go bigger than the current pendants with no issue.

• jacqtopia
    5 years ago

purplensx,

over the last couple of months PB has had the Flynn on and off sale/promos. I'd just keep an eye on them. I'm sure they will do some sort of Memorial Day promo too.

Also, if you have a PB outlet near you, check there. I was able to get my Flynn for about $89 there and it was brand new and had never been out of the box. They had 3 when I was there. The regular outlet price was $149 and they were having an extra 40% off lighting at the time. Just a stroke of luck for me because this outlet is 3 hours from me but where one of my kids attends college, so when I picked him up for spring break I decided to check as I had been wanting to order it for awhile.

• Sandie
    5 years ago
    Help. I am in love with Flynn Recycled Glass Pendant Life gets for over my kitchen island. However, the light fixture has a bronze finish, and my kitchen fixtures are brushed nickel. The cabinets are white, the range hood is glass and stainless, the counters are Granite of a tan/sage color, and the backsplash is a translucent glass. Would it be okay to use the mixed finishes of the bronze pendants and the brushed nickel kitchen faucets together?
  • Sandie
    5 years ago
    And more ....black granite sink, gray glass tile backsplash, glass canopy range hood...
  • jacqtopia
    5 years ago

ptwnmama,

I think it will be just fine! The glass of the pendant is recycled so it has a slight greenish tint to it that I think will be great with your granite. The bronze finish is a very dark brown that should look very similar to your sink also.

I have the pendant over my island and I have white cabinets, charcoal gray island, white delicatus granite and all polished nickel hardware.

• ebroline
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well, almost a year later, and we are finally in our new home! Since I said I’d update, I wanted to post a photo of the kitchen, as it stands right now, with the 2 Flynn pendants. Thanks again to all who helped with their comments! I appreciate it!
  • jacqtopia
    5 years ago

Thanks for following up! The pendants look great, as does your whole kitchen! Love it all. May I ask where you found your barstools? They are very attractive.

• ebroline
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! The barstools are from Serena & Lily. They’re from the Riviera collection.
  • Side3
    5 years ago

Looks Fabulous!!

ebroline thanked Side3
  • wysmama
    5 years ago
    Looks perfect! Great job
    ebroline thanked wysmama
  • jacqtopia
    5 years ago

Thank you!

I still love my Flynn pendant, but man, you have to stay on top of the dust showing!

ebroline thanked jacqtopia
  • ericaduvall
    4 years ago

Jumping on this thread hope it's okay I was just wondering out of the ones who have thethe Flynn pendant light is it very bright?

• jacqtopia
    4 years ago

It can be depending on what bulb you put in it, since it is large and a slightly tinted glass. I have a 6 watt 5000k Daylight clear LED bulb in mine but on a dimmer. I never have it turned up all the way because it's a cool tone or it would look like a 7-11 store! I do not like the orange or heavy yellow light of most of the Edison bulbs so I went with a clear LED.

• ebroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have the Edison bulbs in ours and they aren't very bright, but I'd imagine a brighter bulb like jacqtopia has would do the trick!

• A Fox
    4 years ago

There are other also clear LED filament bulbs in the 2700 to 3500k color range that can put out more light and less yellow light than the typical "Edison bulb" if you want a soft white rather than daylight spectrum. You will have to do a little research and compare the lumen output. You would likely be looking for something with 800 lumen output or more.

• ericaduvall
    4 years ago

Great I appreciate the input we are debating switching our dining room light. Unfortunately we dont have a lot of daylight streaming in our windows. I'll do some searching on bulb output

• jacqtopia
    4 years ago

Yes, that was my problem too. Large covered patio and trees up to 80 feet block a lot of my kitchen light. There is also a new wooden fence outside one window and I was getting not a lot of light and yellow-orange and green reflecting in so that's why I went with a cooler kelvin light.

The past couple of years post-Harvey recovery and remodeling has been quite an education in light bulbs for me! There are so many options out there and a lot of LED now, you really have to try different bulbs, temp, lumens, wattage etc...to see what works best in your home. For instance, I did not like the usual 2700k -3000k bulbs in the bathroom, too yellow...5000k way too blue and bright, finally found some 4000k online and that seems to be best so far.

Good luck with your hunt. I had no problem returning bulbs to Home Depot or anywhere else that didn't work out. Just trial and error.

• deborahhines
    4 years ago

Small 6 foot island with 2 really large pendants plus on over the sink. These are 18", give off just the right light, Go with 3 on your long island!

• Mindy C
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

• deborahhines
    4 years ago

Call/email Pottery Barn and ask.

• jacqtopia
    4 years ago

Pretty certain that is the 17” one that I have. The 11” is more like a pendant you would hang over the sink or maybe 2-3 over a bar.

• kriii
    4 years ago

I would go with two pendants in the OP's kitchen because a 3rd would visually block the really nice range hood. Lovely pendants BTW.

• HU-852997901
    4 years ago

Do you get enough light for task lighting (including school work) with the 17 inch pendants? Our island will be 66-72 inches long, 54 inches wide. Lighting store said pendants were for pretty, not for light.

• reginabeana
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

How many inches are your pendants hung above your Island? New construction and trying to place an order we have 9 ft ceiling and a large open concept kitchen dinning and living room. I think the smaller ones will get lost in the space but I do not want the larger ones to look stubby.

• Cooder Smith
    4 years ago

Deborah those are way too big and draw a lot of attention especially considering there's nothing above the upper cabinets

• deborahhines
    4 years ago

Thanks Cooder, the heavy visual of large pendants creates a focal point that is dramatic, as you say "drawing attention"..some folks would scatter a bunch of crap on the top of the cabinets which would not be a focal point but a mess.

• deborahhines
    4 years ago

Regina, are you asking about my pendants or someone else's? Mine are off a 10 foot ceiling and hang about 30 inches from the island counter top. I have recessed lighting also so the pendants are for effect and mood, not for cooking.

• Elene Chapin
    3 years ago

Hey yall. I am in love w the PB pendants... I am doing two lights over this pentagon island... ignore the one large there now. Would I do 2 of the smaller ones or 2 of the larger 17in one?

• Elene Chapin
    3 years ago

Also @ebroline do you know how far apart your two large ones are up at the ceiling? Our ceiling will be 10 ft tall. Widest part of island is 9.5ft by 5ft across angled!

• lisad22
    3 years ago

Can I ask about the pendant lights, are they black or bronze ?

• jacqtopia
    3 years ago

They are a very dark bronze. Will easily work with black or bronze. Here’s a close up look at the metal:

• Jenny Begley
    3 years ago

Hi! I have a somewhat strange question. Do the pendants shake at all? I've always gone with rods because if someone bumps the pendant it drives me nuts. I love the Flynn but that has been my hold back. Do they sway?

• Mindy C
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So I would assume if someone straight up touched one firmly, it would move - if that's what you mean by bump. But depending on where you plan on putting them, I'm not sure how that would happen. Mine are centered on the island about 36 inches high off the counter, so you would really have to try to bump into one. They have been installed for about 6 months now and have never moved. I have 2 large dogs, 2 rambunctious children and have hosted a couple large gatherings with most of the food spread on the island directly underneath the lights - no amount of stomping around or commotion has ever caused them to move/jingle/sway in any way.

• Jenny Begley
    3 years ago

Thank you! Which version do you have? I thought I wanted the larger version but I just measured the three I have up now and they’re only 10 inches wide!

• Jenny Begley
    3 years ago

wanted to add thank you all! We now have 3 Flynn’s up! I’m struggling with the lightbulbs now. I keep buying and returning. The candle light ones looks gorgeous but don’t match the soft white in the kitchen. I tried soft white bulbs in there but they seem to hurt our eyes. Even reduced the lumens and wattage.

what does everyone use? Does your color in the Flynn match the color lighting in the rest of your kicthen?

• Deana Styer
    3 years ago

Hi everyone. I see this conversation happened awhile ago but thought I’d give it a shot. How did you all manage to break the links to shorten. We’ve tried pliers, hacksaw and hammering a screwdriver into the link. The instructions say to “gently pry” but that’s not working. Help!!!

• Kim
    3 years ago

I'm about to buy mine and I'm wondering the same thing.

• purplensx
    3 years ago

I used an angle grinder. Hacksaw would work but take a while....

• jacqtopia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jenny, I use an LED in mine but had to put in a dimmer switch. All that glass really illuminates! I think I have a clear LED 4000K in there. The 2700-3000K were too yellow and the 5000K can light it up like a 7/11.

A clear LED like an Edison...not the ugly squiggly kind. :)

• chispa
    3 years ago

@Deana Styer

The little gadget/pliers below is what you use to open/close the links in the chain of a light fixture. Learned this secret from an electrician! Bonus, they are pretty cheap and I always have one in my tool drawer.

Fixture Chain Pliers

• Deana Styer
    3 years ago

Thank you so much. We did try those but ended up having to get bolt cutters as there was only an impression in the link. They were not cut through entirely in order to twist and separate.

• Sanju
    2 years ago

@Jenny Begley

I am planning to get 3 small Flynn pendants as well for my kitchen island but there are not many pictures with the smaller ones. Are you able to share a picture of your kitchen with the 3 Flynn pendants?

• Brittany Lavallee
    2 years ago

Hi! does anyone knownif the flynn goes on sale at PB? I have been checking for a while now and have had no luck .

• nterrell54
    2 years ago

I was wondering same as Brittany, I think the price just actually went up ? I could swear they wear 379 a piece and now 399 a piece ??do they ever go on sale?

• Gina Taylor
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello everyone!! I NEED HELP!!! I purchased 2 Duke Oversized Pendants (16 inch overall diameter) in 2020 on Pottery Barn site. They make my whole kitchen!! The glass on one of them broke and Pottery Barn site says No Longer available! Ive been in tears for weeks!!! Can anyone tell me where I can find one of these?? My email is ginamt2@yahoo.com. Thank you for any help you can give! Ive attached a pic of the pendant and one of my kitchen so you can see the beautiful lights above my island!