Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skookumoose

Ye Wise Kitchen Gurus - New Build Layout Advice Please

skookumoose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are meeting with our kitchen cabinet maker this week, so I am looking for layout feedback. The foundation is set, so no changes to room size, but layout within the kitchen is fair game. We are leaning towards a range with oven, plus an additional wall oven (if budget and space allow). We want to keep the island countertop free (no sink or cooktop), but are open to having things underneath if that improves layout. Excited to see what this amazing forum has to suggest!

Comments (4)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

First congrats on a nicely laid out house. It's going to be light and bright with windows on two sides in almost every room

I think the kitchen layout is fine as it is! You go from getting food out of the fridge, to bringing it to the sink to wash, to prepping between cooktop and sink. It works! In fact my first house had this exact layout and it was absolutely the best setup I ever had for cooking. So much so, that I'm repeating it in my new build.

One question to you. You said foundation is set. Are windows set? I ask because if it were me in your master bedroom I'd switch the two sets of windows so you could put the bed on the wall at top. I say that so one person is not walking around the side of the bed in the middle of the night.

Also one other suggestion if it's not built on a slab? I'm looking at your laundry room and I think it would be better if you could rearrange the room so the door to the laundry room opened into the hallway and not the foyers. I'm wondering if you moved the washer/dryer under the windows and the dog washing area where the washer is now, if it might be doable? Not sure.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Your refrigerator is going to have to have some space between the side and the abating wall or it will not open enough to pull out the drawers fully.

• skookumoose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cpartist - We too have had a house with a similarly laid out kitchen and it worked well for us. I think I am in the stage of the build when every decision seems life or death - its nice to hear someone confirm it is a layout that works for them.

I really appreciate the feedback on layout. The master bedroom window placement is a compromise as the views out the large window at the top are the best and that view trumps the extra steps around the bed at night -I'll make hubby sleep on that side anyway ;) I completely agree about the laundry door placement and will see about getting that switched around. Funny how you can look at something a million times and miss those kind of things.

anglophilia - Excellent point about the fridge and the wall! I've put it on my list of things to address with our builder. May simply need to delete that little wall.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Funny how you can look at something a million times and miss those kind of things.

Tell me about it. I have a long list of things missed.