Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leannafaith

Need help updating the exterior of our starter home

LeAnna
10 years ago
Here are some photos taken of the front, side and back of the house. We plan to repaint the house white and possibly repaint the shutters black. We also want a new front door. We were thinking of painting the front door red or another color to help give curb appeal... any suggestions??

* side note: We're not married yet, but he has asked me to help him plan changes for his house. He currently has two live in roommates, and with that being said, I'm sorry for some of the messy pictures.
With that aside, please do not focus on the mess, but help us figure out ways to update the house. Like I said above, this is a starter home, so we're looking for necessary updates for character and useful purposes.

p.s. As soon as the roommates move out, I am going to clean the inside and outside of his house from top to bottom. Until then... I have to deal with it. *sigh*

Comments (25)

• LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have the option of painting the shutters a different color, but I really like the black. I'm thinking of painting the front door red, adding a white edged screen door, and thinking of getting a different garage door with a half moon window in the top... I wish I could have a front porch swing, but still trying to figure out curb appeal techniques for this house... Suggestions...??
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I think you are on the right track! I like what you want to do with the paint. Classics. Cute house. Maybe you just want to do some gardening outside til the roommates are gone, lol.
    LeAnna thanked handymam
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gardening would be great! I've been researching nifty ideas on pinterest. If I had a red door, I could plant some red flowers around to bring it together. I also love the idea of painting the front door yellow, but I wonder if the colors would pop out against the scenery the way a red door would...

I would need to research what plants look good where, but it would be fun to have red roses or day-lilies with some white flowers and hostas or even some splashes of purple or yellow or blue hydrangeas in there... Oh how I love flowers!!
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    By the way, these pictures were taken in early spring before the flowers popped up. An elderly lady lived here before, and you could tell that she loved to garden. Every spring, yellow and white daffodils, purple and indigo iris, red and yellow tulips, and white peonies pop up along the driveway and in the yard. If it weren't for all the weeds, it would be beautiful. Now if only I could figure out how to block the weeds, but allow the flowers to grow, that would add to the appeal.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Oh, you are off to a great start then! First, you need to pull out all the weeds. Are the beds mulched? If not, it really helps to mulch. I prefer shredded bark mulch. What part of the country are you in?
    LeAnna thanked handymam
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    LOL. You pull the weeds and lay mulch around the plants. During the summer occasional weeding is usually needed.
    LeAnna thanked Judy M
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    You need to check out the ideabooks on house too and gather what you love into your own books for inspiration.
    LeAnna thanked handymam
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I live south of Nashville in Tennessee. The beds are not mulched, but I will suggest it! Thank you so very much!! Now if only I could teach his roommates not to mow/ weedeat the flowers... *sigh* (The joys of being engaged to an engineer with busy geeky roommates who don't know the beginning of cleaning and decoration... ha I'm just teasing, but I'm serious about the engineer and geeky part, and the not knowing.)
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    p.s. I may sound bitter, but I'm not. I just find it funny that I have to teach these really smart men how to clean and decorate and what not to mow...:)
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good point! Let me add mulch to my list... then I won't have to tease the boys about their mowing. :) Hopefully.
    Thanks!! So I'm wondering, is there anything I can do to the entrance/ porch area to spruce it up- like to the columns or the tile or the entry way...?
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Is that a little built up thing by the front door or just a mat? Your columns are fine, not spindly like lots of houses. A cople of pots of annuals, one on either side of the door if there sis room would add some summer color.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    If you are looking for an outdoor project, you might want to change the shape of the beds across the front of the house. I would like to see a sidewalk or path to the front door from the driveway or the road. You could have a soft quarter circle garden inside the sidewalk that goes along the front porch to where the door is. Wish I could photo shop or something, but I am computer lame.
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The thing by the front door is a wheel chair ramp from the previous owner. It's made out of a wood pallet. It's kind of messy to be honest. We're thinking of taking it and the other ramp at the bottom of the "porch" to the dump. Neither of us find any use for it, but if we move it, there will be a step down from the front door. I wanted to add a couple of steps down from the center of the porch, but I'm not sure how that would look, because the door is off centered. My mom had suggested railing enclosing the porch, but I felt that would be cramped... What do ya'll think?

The photo below shows the width of the "porch"
  • Allison Burnfield McAteer
    10 years ago
    I vote no railing.
    LeAnna thanked Allison Burnfield McAteer
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I would remove the wheelchair ramps for sure. I gotta agree with Allison, no railing. It's not deep enough and just isn't necessary either. Wonder why they didn't bring the porch out further since the overhang is wider and move the columns out? Oh well, no railing even if the porch is widened.
    LeAnna thanked handymam
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I have good news, but no pictures. We got rid of both wheelchair ramps, had the shrubs, trees, and overgrown areas trimmed!:) Now to clean off the porch, and figure out where steps would look best. I'm thinking steps from the front and side, but not sure. If I did steps from the front, I would want to also make a side walk from front steps to drive way. Do you think that would look good? @handymam
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    That's great that you got somethings started!

Yes, I do like the idea of the sidewalk from the driveway to the door idea. Look back at my comment from seven days ago, lol!
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    can you shorten up the shutters that appear too long for the windows? I get it that they were trying to balance out the shutters on the taller windows, but I think it looks strange. Also agree that a colorful front door would be great! Teal, emerald, barn red, bright red, yellow? Can you add a third pillar to the porch? That might add to the charm and frame the front door a little.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Good catch Anne, I didn't notice that before!
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the house since we got rid of the ramps. Do you think shortening all the long shutters would look good or would it look good to leave the ones on the front porch long too?
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    The size of the shutter should match the length of the window I think, so long with the long windows on the porch.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    And short with the short windows on the right.
  • LeAnna
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey long time no speak, we added a new front door! And the big wreath is the one that is there now... Right now we're updating the inside of our home! Last time I posted, we were dating exclusively, but now we've been married 4 months! Woo! I'll update again when we get to the exterior:). We're going repaint the exterior and paint the shutters for sure... We're thinking about getting some hydrangeas in the future too... I guess time will tell. Thank you all for the wonderful advice!

• Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Red door and rose bushes.