Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_in_se_pa

Four Winds ST (entry level) in stock right now (3/28/18)

jenny_in_se_pa
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I did like folks recommended - check every day. And I just did and scored an entry. This is insane for me since the entry ones are sometimes hard to deal with but will try.

I blame all you ST enablers. :p

Comments (20)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And that quick (5 minutes) they are gone. They have Villafranca premium in stock too at the moment.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

Yes, you have to check every day for something that is popular. I finally scored a New Zealand lemonade and it is being shipped out next week. It has been a long wait for one of those. I was hoping to receive it before CA's spring rain season takes its toll.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I missed the opportunity after at least 3 "heads-up" posts about them in this forum and only saw those posts way too late to get one. And in this case, I only remembered to do my daily check after reading the "Dwarf Italian Lemon Tree" thread, and was momentarily stunned into silence when I saw "In Stock"... and then started moving fast. lol

Yes I hope I too hope for some luck with the weather - between their rains and my (hopefully now pretty much done now) snow.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

Ashley has been shipping trees out this week. So hopefully yours will arrive soon.

jenny_in_se_pa thanked Denise Becker
  • jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for that info Denise! :-D

• lucky_cloud
    6 years ago

Ugh, Denise - you're going to be glad yours are shipping next week - mine apparently shipped yesterday but the scheduled delivery says Tuesday. A whole week in a dark box?!

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

lucky_cloud, Don't worry. I have had trees in a box from CA for 5 days during the fall and spring, and they came out just fine. Somebody here, I think, had a tree in a box for 6 weeks and it wasn't too bad because it got lost in the mail. Relax. Have your pot and potting medium ready to go. The only thing to worry about is if the temps are below freezing and sitting in a truck overnight. Watch your temps here as your tree is in transit. https://weather.com/maps/tendayforecast

• lucky_cloud
    6 years ago

Thanks. And yea, the 6 week post definitely makes me feel better. My tree is in Nashville now, after traveling though NM and AR, so it should be OK.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

There’s always hope if it did/does pass through freezing temps. My ST spent 3 nights in below freezing weather and arrived in perfect condition. Post pictures when it arrives :)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My ST hasn't shipped yet which is fine.

Based on what happened over the summer getting a delivery from FW, this time of year is probably better. I had ordered my Tango and an entry Kishu back in July on a Sunday and I think it was shipped that Monday or Tuesday, but I didn't get them until the following Tuesday (where they sat somewhere over the weekend), and that week we had an awful heat wave. The Kishu was pretty much toast when I unboxed it and despite being babied the rest of the summer, the leaves never unfurled, and once I brought it in for the fall, all the leaves dropped and it bit the dust. The Tango is still suffering (still getting die-back).

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As an update, FW sent me a shipping notice for the ST early Monday morning, so it is on its way. I decided to go with the USPS priority mail option (did that with my first set of FW trees 2 years ago and that worked well, where the last set of FW trees I tried Fedex and ugh).

It should (theoretically) be here Wednesday and since it is an entry size, I have tempered all expectations with the hope that it arrives in halfway decent shape and I can get it established without a lot of drama. It will be kept far away from the other citrus for now.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago
    Yay Jenny! Post a few pictures when you get it :)
    jenny_in_se_pa thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • Denise Becker
    6 years ago

lucky, your tree probably looks poor because right now it is California's rainy season and will continue until mid May. A lot of the fertilizer may have washed out. That is one of the primary reasons I wanted to get my NZL now rather than later. Last year a lot of folks got poor looking trees from excessive rain.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys! I will definitely post a pic. Have an appointment tomorrow afternoon but hopefully I can get something posted by the evening (unless it comes in earlier in the day and I can get it posted earlier).

I noticed that FW has a number of things "out of stock" at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised considering the time of year, that they are sending much of what they have to local retailers first and whatever is left is made available to online consumers until they backfill.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

I would love to know who FW's retailers are.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Denise - The thread about the William Sonoma "Dwarf Italian Lemon" included pics of their tree with FW tags - https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5217846/dwarf-italian-lemon-tree?n=22

Also people who live in California have posted that they have seen their trees at local nurseries.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

I am aware of William Sonoma and the local nurseries in CA. I am referring to those online. Nature Hills carried the New Zealand Lemonade tree last year but sold out so I assume they are still a retailer for Four Winds.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have seen posts from some of our Canadian members who had indicated that they had received FW citrus (am guessing through local retail and/or online outlets). Will keep an eye out when I go scanning through threads again to see who may have received FW trees (vs the other popular one that gets sent out from various retailers - Record Buck).

• jenny_in_se_pa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ST came in just before a storm blew through. Will post pics in a separate thread.