Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imtoni

3D software wanted, help!

Toni S
6 years ago

Need help picking out 3d rendering software that I can transfer my house plans to. My architect said he can get them for several hundred dollars. I'm thinking I can do them for less. He has the main plans about done. Do you have a favorite?

Comments (14)

• Denita
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Are you sure you are working with an architect and not a draftsman?

To me, 3d software would be one of the tools that architects use regularly. I could be wrong.

There are people that present themselves as architects even if they aren't truly architects. A practice that I think is terrible. After all, an architect has had many years of education and a draftsman doesn't. Please verify the credentials of your 'architect' so you know for sure as there are other differences between an architect and a draftsman besides the software .

• Toni S
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

He is %100 architect but I guess I'm going to shell out the bucks to see the 3D plans after giving this more thought. Unless I decide to do one room at a time, which is probably more in my ability. I have a construction friend that would do it for free BUT his plans look like they came from a 1972 home plan. It's so terrible.

I looked at sketch up and thought, wow, that might be more time than I want to give it. I'm already learning everything else about home building, my brain isn't going to take this lightly. lol.

• corwinswan
    6 years ago

I know a licensed archy that still hand draws, so no 3d software. The software doesnt make a good one.

• Denita
    6 years ago

You are right corwinswan. It is just a tool.

• Toni S
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My House plans are almost ready! His software doesn't do 3 D but he recommended a lumber company down the road that does nice work. That might work. OR plan B would be to have someone teach me how to use a program. 5 and 1/2 months till building time! Hope to be back here soon.

• Michael Lamb
    6 years ago

What exactly are you looking for, just a few 3D exterior perspectives? What file format will he give you?

• Toni S
    Original Author
    6 years ago

He has drawn all the regular interior and exterior drawings with dimensions. I can see the exterior walls and roof. I mainly want to see a 3D of the kitchen, livingroom and mudroom of the main level and then the mudroom and bar area in the basement walkout level. So more 3D interiors.

• PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    6 years ago

Sketchup is the best. It's free and anyone with cursory computer knowledge can learn it quickly with some help from their tutorials.

Toni S thanked BLDG Workshop Inc.
  • Michael Lamb
    6 years ago

But it sounded like the OP wanted renderings with textures, lights, shadows, etc. Can Sketchup do that? Back when I was using it a few years ago I remember I had to get some 3D party plugin for it to get a decent 3D view.

• PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    6 years ago

If OP wants photorealistic renderings sketchup is not the place to go, but it sounds like she’s diy’ing it in which case sketchup is the perfect tool.

• seabornman
    6 years ago

Here's an example of what you can do with Sketchup. It's not "rendered" but may be what you need. We've been using it to design an addition.

Toni S thanked seabornman
  • Naf_Naf
    6 years ago

PPF can do the 3D for you, and possibly at a reasonable fee. Send him a message.

Toni S thanked Naf_Naf
  • PRO
    BLDG Workshop Inc.
    6 years ago

Here's something we showed to a client last night for their new home. It won't be to everyone's tastes, and it shows how Sketchup is definitely not a 'rendering' program, but it does a good job of showing what the design is supposed to be - and the client loved it!