Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnymolly

Need curtains and duvet cover

Molly Sundar
6 years ago

My master bedroom has lots of windows and cherry furniture. I have paisley curtains I like (in pic) but I've been told they might not work in the room. Ideally I would hem them, keep them, and buy a coordinating duvet cover but I am willing to replace them if you guys strongly advise it and I can find an affordable option. The windows totally dominate the room. The tricky part is I use blackout curtains to sleep so I can't go curtain-free or do something sheer and gauzy. I need a solid curtain so I can hide my true professional blackout curtains behind them.

Do I need to replace the curtains? If so, what curtain and duvet combo do you suggest? (About our style: We love prints, color, modern, global, practical, and transitional stuff. We avoid satin, velvet, fur and glam things). Thank you so much for your skill and advice!

(Below are my current paisley curtains)

Comments (17)

• Molly Sundar
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(P.S. The room layout is one big area with the bed and fireplace and then behind the bed there is a sitting nook with two more windows and the sitting nook is visible from the bed).

• Molly Sundar
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(P.P.S. if I stick with the curtains I got great tips on here before and will follow that advice and get a cream or sage plain duvet with nice texture such as a nubby linen or a jacquard)

• Molly Sundar
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(P.P.P.S. I hope it isn't rude to include so many pics. I love it when others put lots of pics for their design dilemmas so I hope it is ok).

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Am I understanding correctly that you'll have two sets of curtains? So two rods? Why not only have blackout curtains? What's your wall colour? Fave colours? Budget? Any way you can share larger pictures?

I think I'd try to find solid blackout curtains to match as closely as possible to the wall colour and then get a coordinating duvet cover with a print.

Molly Sundar thanked tartanmeup
  • frenchtarragon
    6 years ago

You know, it's your home. If you love the curtains and they bring you happiness, you should absolutely keep them. That being said, I feel like the brown on brown isn't working so well. Here are some thoughts on how to work around that:

- Paint the walls in a complementary, but different color. Your curtains blend right in right now, which is no way to treat a beloved piece. I'd probably do a pretty light cream, that way the curtains still stand out.

- Add a rug under your bed. Be sure it picks up a few colors from the curtains

- If you want to add a coordinating duvet, thats fine, but to prevent a brownout, repeat a contrasting accent color throughout the room, perhaps in throw pillows, artworks, and other decor. Maybe yellow? Or a really dark brown (ORBish)

- Don't forget to add some side lamps

Molly Sundar thanked frenchtarragon
  • Molly Sundar
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@tartanmeup, thanks for the thoughts. Here are the answers to your questions.

(1) Two curtain rods? Why? Yes, I have double rod curtains (two rods) and I put thick fancy black out curtains on the back rod and in front of that I put normal pretty curtains that claim to be black out but aren't as effective. It is extreme but we are so sensitive to light and the windows are so big that it is the only way we manage to get the room dark enough to sleep.

(2) Wall color? Light creamy beige. It's a warm tone.

(3) We like most colors especially soothing colors like baby blue and sage green. Not a huge fan of red, navy, orange or yellow except as accent. My husband would veto too much rose, lavendar, or pink.

(4) Budget? $200 for duvet, $50 a panel per curtain (I need 14!)

(5) Can you share larger pictures? I'll try to update the pics.

• lynartist
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure what your budget is for this room but I would think about reworking these drapes or having new ones made. Right now these aren’t really working! The lining can be incorporated into the drapes, they don’t need to be separate. You have enough fabric it appears that these could be redone. It might be just as economical to start from scratch though as the labor of taking these apart might not be worth it! They aren’t doing much for the room; as said above you will need to repaint if you use these. I don’t dislike the pattern though. Call a couple professionals for ideas and quotes.
    Molly Sundar thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    Sunny Molly, I didn’t see your post above were you stated how much you wanted to spend! You have a very unusual situation with all these different sized windows and such a small budget!!! Perhaps you are good with a sewing machine and can tackle this yourself but I would try to be more realistic about finding someone to help dress these windows and up the budget considerably!!!
  • er612
    6 years ago

The current curtains work but try hanging them like this on a single rod...

...or sew the blackout curtains onto the patterned ones. I also think hemming the curtains to skim the floor will help.

Molly Sundar thanked er612
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I liked your curtains in your last dilemma and I still like them. It's nice to see something in a subtle print instead of a solid. They're nowhere near as overwhelming open as they are closed, and who sees them closed except you at night?? I agree they need to be hemmed though. I like the idea of a sage green textured duvet, along with some pillows to coordinate. Some artwork added to the space will help as well as pretty lamps. How about a cozy chair, small side table, and reading lamp in the sitting area?

Molly Sundar thanked katinparadise
  • housegal200
    6 years ago

The curtains and wall color are soothing and lovely and the suggestion for a sage duvet and creamy throw and bedding would add to the calm palette. Do consider some dreamy art for the room. And maybe an antique bench or chest at the foot of the bed.

Large 24"x48" Original Painting Sunet Landscape By Thomas John · More Info

Gustav Klimt Birch Forest Framed Premium Canvas Print, 20"x20" · More Info

Uttermost "Mystic Forest" Hand-Painted Art, 60"x40" · More Info

Ralph Albert Blakelock Moonlight, 18"x24" Premium Archival Print · More Info

Molly Sundar thanked housegal200
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    sunnymolly, find a drapery workroom in your area and have these redone. Have the blackout lining incorporated into the drapes. You have too much fabric for grommet top drapes and these will never look right!
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    They should stack back neatly and have even folds when pulled closed! Yours look like an unmade bed. Hemming will help but spend the $$ to have it done right, you won’t regret it. These aren’t very clear photos, sorry; but are blackout drapes I had made for clients years ago. This is what grommet top, operational drapes should look like! Especially in a contemporary home.
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    With the extra fabric have the workroom make a faux Roman shade for over these windows because this just looks weird!
  • ashtonchic
    6 years ago

I like the idea of a faux roman shade at the top of the windows on either side of the f/p or short woven natural shades to bring in some texture. I would get a duvet cover in an off white with texture and keep the room monochromatic. Once the drapes are hemmed they should look great. It will be restful and elegant. Look for some statement lamps and some great textured pillows.

Molly Sundar thanked ashtonchic
  • Molly Sundar
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have 3 duvets coming and when they arrive I will take pictures and do a poll. I think I will keep my current curtains, line and hem them myself, and use that money towards adding other features to the room, maybe a cute upholstered bench or armchair to bring in color and help fill the space? I'll ask more about that once the duvet is finalized. And thanks @lynartist for all the pics of how grommet curtains should look. I never even realized that my curtains were messy, but now I can't unsee it ha ha ha.