Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
essenzza

Long Living Room Set up

essenzza
6 years ago

When you walk into the house there's a wall to the left that then opens up into the living room. Straight ahead is the hallway. How do I set up the sofa/sectional in the living room without being too far away from the TV? Dimensions are 21 feet 3 inch long and 11 feet 10 inch wide. The black line below shows the opening. So the opening to the living room is roughly 10-11 feet wide living about 4-5 feet of wall on each side. Does this look okay? Old owners had sectional all the way across the window but didn't watch TV in this room. 20 or so feet seems way too far to be away from TV. If I put it in middle does it look weird having it in the middle when you open the door. I would like to use part of it to put an entryway hall tree for coats and shoes and what not. Would sofas vs. sectional works better?

Comments (17)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Sorry, this layout isn't going to work at all. Remember to account for walkways; as shown there is only 1' between the end of the sectional and the door wall. If you have seating dividing the room in half it can only be 5-6' wide, or a sectional with a back length of no more than 8' pushed right against the long wall.

18-20' is not too far for TV viewing if the tv is at the correct height and it is large enough. In fact with really big TVs farther back is better.

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does it change the fact that there is no door? It's just an opening. It probably would be about two feet away. And you can walk in from anywhere in that 6ish feet? I don't know articles make it seem that you shouldn't sit further than 10 or soish feet. Even this would be more like 12-14. If I push the sectional by the windows isn't there too much open space then?

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

So the double black line that says 11' 6 " is the opening to the living room?

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes give or take

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nevermind the measurements got a little weird. The short wall is almost 12.. So the opening is about 6 feet or so. It is the double black line but it's not 12 feet big.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

That looks like it will work. It is hard to see because the drawing makes it look like your opening is actually a wall.

I like the openness of the sofa facing the hallway.

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yea I'm not savvy with the tool and couldn't figure out how to make it open so I made the double black line to indicate an opening. I just struggled because I wasn't used to opening the door and seeing possibly a back of the couch but it's the only thing that seems to make sense without sitting super far back and having all that open space in middle.

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes and I should indicate that the hallway opens up to a dining room and staircase...so if u were looking out of the living room u would see the dining room and the side of the staircase

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

You're right. I was looking at the window width as being the room width, so figuring each square to equal 9".

Is there a post 3' into the doorway? Where that grey dot is? If so just less than 2' is too narrow for passage from TV end to window end. Really inconvenient to have to go out and around especially when cleaning. If not then yes, it could work though still too crowded for my taste.

There are smaller scale sectionals that are readily available.

I have to say, I haven't read anything that indicates more than 10' from TV is a problem. But I am far from an expert. Maybe you are going by the size of your screen when you find that info? I know I regularly watch shows on my 20" computer monitor from 14 feet back or so and although it isn't optimal it works. And that's a tiny screen and not particularly high quality.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Ok. The opening is 6' wide in a wall that is 21' long, is that correct? And is the doorway centered, leaving about 7' of wall on each side of it?

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The opening is about 10' wide leaving 5 on each wall. Sorry my first number was right. I got mixed up when someone up top mentioned the 11. No physical door. Just a 10' wide opening.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

And there is or is not a post 3' into the left side of the doorway?

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

no no..that was just me measuring...after u open the front door there's the 5 feet of wall and then it opens for about 10 feet...Is it weird to have the sofa or sectional int he middle of room? I'm feeling that the sectional may be too overwhelming and that sofa and loveseat may work better.

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sorry for the confusion

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

No loveseat on the tv end. Just the sofa facing the TV on a nice long console.

• essenzza
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yea I think the sectional doesn't make as much sense anymore. I would have to throw a love seat near the longer wall though so more seating.