Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckidner

How to update this powder room?

ckidner
6 years ago

I don’t hate the cabinets or countertops or the antiqued sconces but all together this powder room feels very dated to me. What could I do to freshen it up? A new mirror? Change out the faucet? Accessories? Does it need a total overhaul?

Comments (10)

• ckidner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Close up of cabinets

• salonva
    6 years ago

I think it's a nice powder room from what I can see, but I think you are probably right that changing out the faucet would be a good step. to be honest I am not wild about the countertop . You could probably get one (prefab) for not much $.

• ckidner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay I could do a new countertop. Maybe a carrara marble or something similar? Should I stick w the antiqued brass?

• Donald
    6 years ago
    I think this might be a case of too much matching metal. How about some matte black knobs or a non metal framed mirror?
  • Allison0704
    6 years ago

I like the color! What style is the rest of your home? Depending on the rest of your home, I might do something to the vanity, if not replacing.

I also suggest changing the counter. If budget allows, do a pretty stone with an undermount sink with the new faucet. Most fabricators have scraps that could easily do a powder room, and discounted psf from regular slab prices.

I like to buy antique/vintage mirrors for bathrooms or have mirrors made at our local frame shop. I also hang nice art. These rooms have so little in them, it is better to go outside the box and add character.

For examples, here is a close up of our master bathroom mirrors (frame shop).

Current powder room - antique sconces, frame shop mirror

If the towel and TP holders are worn, change those out also. I helped my sister remodel her home, and found pretty options online at Anthropologie. Used the brass Lillia accessories at her house.

Good luck with your project.

• ckidner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see what you’re saying about the spacing of the sconces. And now I can’t unsee it. I was really trying to DIY this powder room. I wonder if I get a bigger vanity (48 or 60....currently at a 37) if I can keep the electrical the same.

My style is transitional and the house we bought is pretty traditional (built in 95 and not much has been updated).

• User
    6 years ago

I would paint the cabinet black, add an arched faucet spout, and a much larger wider framed mirror in black or gold

ckidner thanked User
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

I agree with Mayflowers. Yes to getting a new larger vanity.

ckidner thanked eld6161
  • User
    6 years ago

60" is quite wide for a powder room vanity. What is the height of your vanity? It looks shorter than today's vanities, which are about 36" tall. That is contributing to the vanity looking a bit undersized. But I wouldn't want less than 12" between vanity and baseboard for ease of cleaning.

ckidner thanked User