Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeny_knight

Still looking for help on choosing exterior paint colors.

Jeny Knight
6 years ago

This is the hardest decision! Any thoughts on exterior color combination? I am looking to use maybe a brown (Sherwin Williams: Tree Branch, Curio Gray or Morris Room Gray (this one might be too light) and an accent trim color (SW Greek Villa)? A Designer was nice enough to put Moth Wing on her program and seeing it on the siding, it looks too brown. Should I paint the siding the lighter color and use the darker color for trim? My house was originally painted a brown/toast color (picked up the darker colors in the brick) and changed to white (picking up the white in the brick). I would like something in between. It's a small house, but could be so charming with the right colors. Thank you for your suggestions!

Color before siding was installed

Siding unpainted, but primed

SW Curio Gray (Left) and Morris Room Gray (Right)

SW Greek Villa and SW Tree Branch

Comments (16)

• Denita
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

^This is the best color.

The grays fight your brick and the natural environment surrounding your home. Pick up one of the medium tones in your brick if you want to change your color. A darker tone in the brick for the trim. I would stay away from those grays you show....they truly don't go with your home's brick or style at all.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Is the roof brown? If so, you need a warm shade that will work with it and the brick. A cool color, such as the Morris Room Gray, will clash.

• Jeny Knight
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Denita, when you said (^ is the best color), the yellow color on the siding is the actual primer; my dilemma is painting the siding a darker brown or paint it in reverse with dark trim around the windows and lighter siding?

@Chloebud, The roof is actually gray but with age, it looks like a charcoal gray; not brown. The shade from the trees make it look dark.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I know it's the primer. I was saying paint it a similar color which is the medium tone in your brick. It looks better than the grays you show which clash with the brick. You could choose a darker color out of your brick or even one of the lighter colors, but not the grays IMO they don't work.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Curio seems to match your mortar best. Is that what you were trying to do? Since you appear to have a green tint to your windows, have you considered using aqua as your paint choice? I really don't like the way the windows pop out, so maybe the right color will camouflage them.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

That's the photo I was looking for, Bette!

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I also like the primed picture. Maybe a little less yellow. The Curio Gray isn't a bad choice. Would essentially blend with the brick. I wouldn't do any of the others.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Jeny, good that the roof is gray...better than brown IMO. In that case, it looks like the Curio might be a possibility. Always hard to know for sure from a computer screen.

• Jeny Knight
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@BetteP I like the lighter shade of siding color. Greek Villa might be too light? The green shade from the windows is the tint that I never noticed before from the replacement windows that looks green.

• Bette P
    6 years ago

Try looking at the LRV numbers. Get some more samples. Greek Villa does look too light, the LRV is 84 compared to your Curio Grey LRV 26. Accessible Beige is LRV 58, Shiitake is LRV 51, Taupe Tone is 36, Stone Lion is 38.

Less brown, maybe Intellectual Grey LRV 36, Amazing Grey LRV 47, Worldly Grey LRV 57.

• H D
    6 years ago

Not an expert here, just wanted to say that I think your home already is charming! What about a taupe color such as SW Sanderling or Stone Lion?

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7513-sanderling#/7507/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

It's hard to tell from a computer monitor though

• User
    6 years ago

Of the two - Curio vs Morris - the Morris is cold, the Curio warm. Your brick is warm so the Curio is a better fit in my opinion. The other two - Villa and Tree Branch - Villa is too stark. I would go darker rather than lighter. Beautiful trees.

• User
    6 years ago

None Of The Above.

Dark for the window trim, and one of the warmer browns for the siding.

• Jeny Knight
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Since my yard has so much shade, we decided to reverse the colors and go with SW Dover White for the siding and SW Moth Wing for the trim. Most of the house is brick except for the fascia and soffits and the detached garage is all siding.

• kathleen MK
    5 years ago
    I think the original cream color is best. Curio would be a second choice.