Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Would you wear these shoes for travel?

bbstx
6 years ago

Afar has an article today about “the world’s best shoes for travel”. Would you wear them for travel?

Comments (35)

• runninginplace
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

They're, um, not very attractive shoes but they do look comfortable ;)

Edited to add the first pair wouldn't look too bad with slacks-the capri (or is it rolled pants?) and demi boot look isn't really cutting it.

bbstx thanked runninginplace
  • User
    6 years ago

sorry. maybe for traveling in the airport and plane----nice and comfy like slippers......? but I dont believe I would be wearing them out of the room. (I am not a fashionista what do I know)

bbstx thanked User
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Nope. Perhaps they would work on someone with dreads. I'd just look off my rocker.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

No, I am not young and hip enough to wear munchkin shoes. Besides, I need a secure heel.

bbstx thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t see these as shoes. Slippers, sure! Wearing-out-of-the-house shoes? Not my style, as if I have “style.”

• nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

No, they don’t look that comfortable for day-long walking and being on your feet. Don’t look that great to me either (though I’m neither partcicylarmnor knowledgeable about trends).

bbstx thanked nutsaboutplants
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

They look like they would be easy to slip off and on for going through security at the airport.

bbstx thanked functionthenlook
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I think they would look nice on teens.

bbstx thanked just_terrilynn
  • daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

I actually own those and they are my house slippers. Very comfortable, but not for outside.

bbstx thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Comfy slippers, yes. Traveling shoes, no.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    6 years ago

I kind of like the ones in the first photo with the slits in the sides. I don't care for the other style.

bbstx thanked User
  • texanjana
    6 years ago

Maybe for slippers but they wouldn’t have enough support for a travel shoe for me.

bbstx thanked texanjana
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Cloth shoes never feel like they’re supporting my feet and since support is very important for the walking I’ll be doing, no i would not wear these. Yes for puttering in hotel room, around the house or for a quick store run.

• User
    6 years ago

I had never heard of them, but I have worn Haflinger wool clogs for decades, both as house shoes and outside (there is a patterned, rubber sole), and they are comfortable for walking all day. However, these appear to be leather soled, and coupled with the boiled wool, I wonder if they would be good in a deluge, I know the Haflinger ones do a pretty good job of repelling the rain, but I've never worn them outside all day in a downpour, so I don't really know, but the soft sole/wool upper might not be the best for a rainy day of tourista activities.

I like the navy and orange ones a lot, the booty style would look great with skinny jeans or khakis, and even the right skirt, and the orange ones with regular leg jeans or khakis, maybe with a long, hippie chick type skirt. But I'm not a formal person, and I like boho stuff, YMMV.

bbstx thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Nope.

bbstx thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

I agree with most above that I'd wear the second style as slippers in the house and that's it. While checking the prices on those, I found this interesting article about Why One Lawyer Quit His Job to Sell These Shoes from India

There are many more styles and they are not inexpensive -

https://mohinders.com/collections/womens-styles

bbstx thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • User
    6 years ago

I like the orange ones! And on our last 4 trips to Europe I wore mostly Crocs so yes, I might wear them. I have a wide foot and narrow heel (think a duck foot) and I have a hard time finding a shoe like that (you used to be able to go to a shoe store and get a B width with a triple A heel but no more) so a clog is a great solution for me for there is nothing more irritating that having a heel that goes up and down up and down and next thing you know there is a blister which is "ouch"!

bbstx thanked User
  • LynnNM
    6 years ago

Nope, too ugly for me! Like Martha Scott, I have a wide foot through the toes with a narrow heel. I also have small feet (6.5-7) and high arches. So, shoes with good support and a very comfy padded foot bed are a must for me. I usually find my most comfortable and (semi) stylish shoes at Clarks.

bbstx thanked LynnNM
  • terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

That Afar article reads more like advertising to me.

bbstx thanked terezosa / terriks
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

The article actually is recommending them as a slipper, and states that's what they are. They look like the perfect slippers/house shoes to me as well. Soles look like suede, which wouldn't hold up very long if used for streetwear, IMO.

bbstx thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Fori
    6 years ago

I wouldn't.

I am a minimalist when it comes to shoes. Flat thong sandals for plane and city travel, zero-drop "barefoot" running shoes for more athletic endeavors (but not the ones with toe compartments. Ewwww!!).

I also have no class.

bbstx thanked Fori
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Yes. Time travel back to the 70s.

We rarely have to take our shoes off in airports anymore anyway.

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

I wear New Balance women's walking shoes with velcro straps for travel. I wear size 9 in women's (7 in men's) and I cannot always find men's shoes in size 7, but the women's shoes are made the same and are generally cheaper. They are not particularly attractive shoes - not as attractive as previous NB shoes, but they are very comfortable and are extremely easy to take off and put on, due to the velcro straps. I generally wear them as walking shoes when traveling, unless I wear sandals.

I would not wear wool shoes outdoors, and I do not need to keep my feet warm, as it is not cold here.

I have some Skechers shoes that are comfortable also, that I bought at the Ontario Outlet Mall on our way back from our last trip to Palm Springs.

bbstx thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • Lars
    6 years ago

I had some old Skechers clogs that were the most comfortable shoes I ever had, and I was very sad to see them go, but that was more than ten years ago. I should have bought multiple pairs when they were available. I also bought the original Crocs when they first came out, and they were incredibly soft - new ones are not.

bbstx thanked Lars
  • rosesstink
    6 years ago

Maybe. I'm rather minimalist about the shoes I bring on trips - even when I'm driving and could load up the car with shoes. I always bring two pairs of shoes for outdoors, on the trail, walking/hiking and one (casual) pair for going out and about in towns. Teva or Keen sandals if it's summer. I could see those being my casual about town shoes although probably not the best option for me since my feet sweat a lot.

bbstx thanked rosesstink
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Maybe if I traveled to the land of the trolls (Sweden?).

I usually wear jeans and loafers. Or flats with a small heel.

bbstx thanked nosoccermom
  • lobby68
    5 years ago

Not in a box with a fox or on a boat in a moat could I make those work for me.

bbstx thanked lobby68
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HAHA, lobby68! Love your turn of phrase!

• jakabedy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This conversation reminds me of some slippers my mom had years ago. I think they might have been made by Isotoner, out of the same clingy material as their gloves. She must have bought them during the Winter Olympics, because we took to calling them her "luge boots."

I actually really like the first ones posted, with the slits in the side, but to be worn around the house, or maybe on a long plane or car ride. They would be nice to have when you're staying in hotels or someone else's home. More than a slipper, but not quite a shoe.

bbstx thanked jakabedy
  • sableincal
    5 years ago

Wouldn't wear either of the shoes shown above. Clog-types aren't comfortable for me.

We just returned from a vacation in Los Angeles, traveled down by train, so I could take pretty much what I wanted. I took along 2 pairs of Alegria wedge slides, a pair of Clarks wedge espadrilles (love those), a pair of Ryka walking shoes, and my favorite black pumps (because one never knows...). Wore them all. Most of my shoes now are open-toed (it's about the pedicure), and most are Alegria and Clarks, which both have wonderful foot-beds, great for my high arches and bad back.

Thank heavens shoes are getting more and more snazzy, even for geezer women!

bbstx thanked sableincal
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

mtnrdredux- I have those Sketchers too, so comfy! Mine have a super grippy sole too, very important here in Maine in winter! Mine are tan, I got them at TJMaxx last fall for cheap!

bbstx thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • DYH
    5 years ago

No. Don't.

I'm heading to Paris and Italy and I'm taking my Gucci convertible loafers (the heels fold down to make mules). I usually don't take them for fear of rain, but decided life is short!

My other shoes are Sketchers grey suede-looking and are great for walking.

Since it's going to be in the 80s in Italy when I'm in vineyards, I'm taking my Dansko walking sandals, too.

I doubt there's room for my Rothy's, but we'll see!

bbstx thanked DYH
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I traveled with a couple pairs of shoes, but basically just wore my black suede-ish Keds. I can't remember the model name (probably discontinued anyway); they are a sort of hybrid between the classic champion and a light bootie/hiker. Very comfortable and easy with slacks and casual skirts.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If they're comfortable, sure.

With my bad feet, it is so hard to find anything I can wear, looks mean nothing to me. Comfort, when it comes to footware, is the only game in town.

They'd have to come in size 10.5. Men's.