Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjamin_lamberton

Bathroom subway tile dilemma

We (wife and I) are nearing the end of our first remodel experience in our 1930 home, a full bathroom tear out (removed wall, reconfigured everything, new plumbing and electrical, etc...). While the overall impression walking in the door is an amazing transformation (as it should be, this was not cheap), I'm torn on the details of the tiling job.

We chose 2x8 white subway tile and Laticrete Spectralock Pro Premium epoxy grout. Our GC (who installed the tile himself along with another contractor who did a lot of the work on the remodel) didn't express any reservations with doing a subway tile install or working with epoxy grout.

I'll rattle down a list of our concerns below. My questions are - are we being too picky? Being our first remodel, we don't necessarily know what "normal" would be and what we should put up with. I don't know if any of this can be remedied individually, or if a full tear out should be an option on the table.

1. Tiles aren't flush with one another - some stick out more than others (on new cement board).

2. Some rows are ever-so-slightly wavy.

3. Tub flange wasn't accounted for fully, so the bottom rows of tile tilt inwards over the flange, making for not-right angles at the corners.

4. Epoxy grout haze was BAD after install. It's mostly been remedied at this point, though not totally.

5. Grout lines have rough edges that snag when washing the wall.

6. Window frame is rough around the edges, not straight lines and inside tiles protrude beyond the outside tiles. This MIGHT be all covered up by outside mount poly plantation shutters (still deciding).

7. Thick caulk line at the corners - might be normal.

8. Rough cuts left in visible locations (I've read since then that polishing with a stone would have been something normal to do - that was not done).

9. Color consistency of grout is off in places - I had chosen Spectralock in part due to being reputed to have great color consistency. Some tiles were grouted 3.5 days ago, while others were done several weeks ago - would the newer grout need more time to cure to become consistent in color?

10. Tub spout is not flush with the tile, which we're told will require removal of tiles to adjust any more than it is now.

Probably more. I'd love to know what those experienced with this kind of work think about the install.

Examples of rough edges of tiles:

Old house, things aren't necessarily plumb - I get that - but the first row of tile above the window has a wave in it and the inside tiles stick down significantly beyond the tile on the outer face.

Color consistency (bad caulk line will be fixed) and rough grout lines. The dark gray at the bottom was grouted 3.5 days ago, while the rest has cured for a couple weeks.

Tiles inside the window protruding beyond the outside frame.

Tape line caused rough grout line where our contractor suggested we try white grout around the window frame to minimize our concerns with the tile around the window (which we brought up pre-grout)

Tiles not flush with one another

More tile not flush

Overall of window frame

Overall (wide angle) view

The wall with the most inconsistencies in grout lines and tiles not being flush

Tub spout not flush, tub flange requiring tile to tilt inwards

Thick caulk line and tiles not flush/aligned

More of the same

Left wall. I realized in the last 2 days that the whole tile pattern has a slight upwards bump near the middle of the pattern.

These last two are prior to the edge tile to show the tilt inwards for the tub flange

Comments (11)

• midcenturyvibes
    6 years ago

Oh gosh. I feel your pain. Ugh!!! Some of this would reeeeally bug me! It looks like this might have been a challenging job especially if everything was not plumb with the tub and window will. The tiles not being flush would bug me, but on the other hand it looks like the tiles themselves are not totally exact. It seems like laying tile is a skill developed over many years and takes a special touch. Maybe this person just didn't have the advanced level skill required for this particular job. I'm curious to see what others might say since I'm not an expert. My perfectionism might get the best of me. But to me the spout tilting is unacceptable and must be fixed.

• abb_ann
    6 years ago
    Hi. I’m sorry you are not happy wit the outcome. I cannot see most of what you see as you are standing in front of it. The white between the tile and tub is caulk and not grout. You need the caulk to keep the water from seeping back behind your tub. The spout is a problem and I would ask your plumber to see what he / She thinks. This would be a full tile tear out if you are not happy. Ugh. I wish you the best.
  • Gail Hines
    6 years ago
    I had a similar experience in my 1957 home with a contractor doing poor quality work laying the subway tile in my bathroom. The red flags just kept popping up and I guess I ignored them. A couple of days before he finished the tiling but before he did the grout, when I kept asking questions about the details, he finally told me he had never laid subway tile. I fired him and got a new tile layer, who had to come in and undo much of the work the previous guy had done, but it was definitely the right decision. My bathroom looks incredible now. Best of luck to you.
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Some of your complaints are legit. Most of them are way too picky.
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Sorry, looks like a poor tiling job not picky at all when it looks so bad you are inclined to look closer at all. Has anyone questioned what is under the tile job, the waterproofing? If it is determined to be just a poor job without concerns of water issues and your contractor will not or can not repair you may decide to cut your losses and lice with it. However, if waterproofing is at all a concern or you may be selling in the near future you might consider having this redone.

So sorry this is happening, it is difficult sometimes to hire skilled workers.
  • Benjamin Lamberton
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Diane R, the cement board and membrane underneath that are theoretically done well and are one continuous piece coming down over the tub flange.

I think we're going to live with it, and think twice about choosing a smaller tile and contrasting grout like this in the future when we're having someone else do the work. We are overextended and not at a point where we could reasonably afford to redo all of this at our expense - and we really just want it to be done.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

Well, Creative, you took the words out of my mouth. Here, here. And so sorry, Benjamin. You did not get anything close to a professional job.

• Benjamin Lamberton
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've contacted a well reviewed tile installer in the nearby area (that actually lists tile in the name of the company!) who is coming out Friday to evaluate the job. Thanks to all for your input.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

And Benjamin (or others who are following), just have to offer this. I know it is not the major issue here, BUT, we would have laid that tile out in advance (measure, measure) to assure the proper lay out which would ensure that the left of window (best seen in your wide angle view of the space pic) did not look like a stacked pattern (disconnect from the surrounding areas) .

That being said, please folks, realize that quality installers AND appropriate tile selections for your space are so important. While the installation discussed here is not acceptable, the tile selected comes with a big **PRO ONLY tag. Be very careful if you are selecting long narrow subway tiles, and varying degrees of rectified and flat. The old school tile mechanic can make things happen that might defy the materials limitations, but that comes from years and years of experience. If you want subway tile, know that perfectly flat surface is more easily accomplished with the smaller sizes (3x6, 4x8). These will be flatter and easier to install.

Benjamin Lamberton thanked Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

I can not accept this job. Tile is crooked in spots, obvious sign he did not use spacers. He should gut and start over or eat the costs. No bueno.

https://designerdrains.com/tips/8-simple-bathroom-design-tips/