Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chek_sunrise

Marvin Contemporary Casement

sunrise can
5 years ago

We are figuring the big structural parts of our new house build and wondered what experience/comments/feedback folks had with Marvin Contemporary casement windows. We are looking for a slim profile and are located in southern New England and are not on the coast.

The look and utility we are going for is

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiTB-h3HNWe/?hl=en&taken-by=ohfarmhouse

but don't want to use Jeld-Wen that this beautiful home has used.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    5 years ago

Installed properly and of a size that won't over tax the mechanisms, it should provided you with a lifetime of trouble free use. Marvin tends to engineer some quality products.

• jh2175
    5 years ago

Did you make a final decision yet?

• sunrise can
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are actually leaning towards the Kolby Vistalux. It seems to have the slimmest profile. Any reviews would be appreciated on this brand and line.

• jh2175
    5 years ago
    We have been going back and forth between the vistaluxe and Marvin. It looks like we are going with the Marvin contemporary which is narrower like the vistaluxe.
  • sunrise can
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sounds like we are in the same decision making time frame. On further thinking and researching we are likely going with the Marvin. What tipped your choice towards the Marvin vs the Kolbe?

• jh2175
    5 years ago

Marvin was able to do a custom sized lift and slide whereas Kolbe couldn't make it work. We also wanted all the windows and doors from one local dealer so we can get service if needed. The Marvin Contemporary also came in lower priced than the Vistaluxe. The Marvin Contemporary also came in lower than the Marvin Ultimate since it has a thinner profile and uses less wood, but provides the same performance. Good luck - not an easy decision!

• Pat
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I looked into these a year ago (also looking for a slim profile window) and from what I saw the Marvin Contemporary and Marvin Ultimate casements were essentially the same window (identical sash widths at least). The Kolby Vistalux had much narrower sashes, which gave it a more modern look. Did Marvin change the design on their Contemporary series? I guess I need to go check, but was surprised to see the comment about them being narrower like Vistalux. I hope they are as I have a Marvin dealer near by!

• sunrise can
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We ended up picking the Marvin for multiple reasons, good dealer, cost, reviews. We love our windows, though the house is not yet done but happy with the look. If memory serves me right the sash is narrower, though not as much as Kolbe.