Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snarkyinla

What do you like (or not like) about your pull location choices?

snarkyinla
5 years ago

Getting the to point of selecting my cabinet pull location. You can see the pull in the top of the second photo. I lean toward centering them in the drawer panel (two for the longer drawers). But another option is having them in the top rail for the lower drawers (and still in the center for the top). See two sample photos below. Main advantage is that much less needing to bend over for the lower drawers, I also assume they are easier to install in the thinner section.

Also deciding if I should have my pulls all be horizontal on the lowers even for the cabinet doors, vs the more traditional vertical. If I do that, then I also need to decide if the uppers would then be vertical. In other words, all lowers = horizontal and all uppers = vertical OR all drawers = horizontal, all cabinets = vertical.

If you have pics of what you did and what you like/don't like about your choices, I'd love to see...

Comments (15)

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

To some degree I think this depends on the style of your home. With that said, I do traditional and I prefer a mix of knobs and pulls (instead of doing all pulls both vertically and horizontally) because I find it more interesting and easier on the eye to take in. I would put all of the pulls in the center of the drawers.

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

The old school rule was "knobs for doors and pulls for drawers" Though I do remember my moms Mid-Century kitchen from 1957 having all knobs.

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Knobs aren't an option a this point, its figuring out the patterns with just the pulls...

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Molly how would that be different if they were horizontal...?

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Actually my drawers are horizontal now that I think about it so I do have a mix. It’s worked out well for me for the last 14 years. Are you worried about a specific look?
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

I would center them on the drawers. However I would do one large long pull instead of two.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    5 years ago

I had to install the cabinet and drawer hardware myself in the last house, it came with the no hardware style look popular in the 70s and 80s that was supposed to look ‘cleaner’ but really meant I was opening doors and drawers with my fingernails for years until I finally added some. My nails are in much better shape when there’s hardware on the cabinets and drawers.

Now we’re in a new house and a lot of the kitchen storage is heavy drawers on the bottom and no hardware on those or the cabinets...again...but those drawers are going to need some that are sufficiently sturdy or I can see problems happening if too flimsy and I don’t feel like having a drawer front crack or unnecessary numbers of holes. Whoever thought that no hardware is a good idea should be sent back to design school until they learn it’s not at all good, particularly on heavy drawers meant to hold pots and such.

• sofikbr
    5 years ago

We did one on center drawers. For doors vertical on trim.

• friedajune
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Regarding the wider drawers and 1 pull vs. 2 - I personally don’t like 2 pulls on a drawer, because people tend to pull on just one, instead of grasping both pulls equally. Since that pull is to the side, i.e., not centered the way 1 pull would be, either the pull starts coming loose over time, or the drawer gets out of plumb from people pulling just on one side instead of both sides equally.

I also believe that the pull size should vary according to the width of the drawer. The rough rule of thumb is that if using a single pull per drawer, the pull should be approximately one-third the width of the drawer. I feel that in your second pic, that pull looks too wide for that drawer. In your 3rd pic you posted, the drawers appear wider than the drawers in the 2nd pic. It's JMHO, but you should get smaller pulls for narrower drawers, and wider pulls for wider drawers.

I would have the pulls be horizontal on the drawers, and vertical on the doors. I would center the pulls that are horizontal.

• User
    5 years ago

friedajune: I agree with everything you wrote. We have several size pulls in my kitchen.

On large (wide) drawers, I used wider pulls. On my 36" drawers, I used appliance pulls rather than drawer pulls. One larger pull is better than 2 small pulls because I know that I only use one hand to open drawers. There is usually something in my other hand.

And I concur with knobs for doors, pulls for drawers.

• m_gabriel
    5 years ago

We have Shaker style cabinets and drawers and debated much of the same. We chose top rail for all the drawers and did pulls everywhere. Vertical on cabinet doors; horizontal on drawers and used a larger size pull on the drawers >= 30" and on the high pantry cabinets. I wanted a slightly more modern look and did not like the pulls in the middle of the drawers. After all my debating and looking at pictures, it seemed that either way is done and it all looks good when it is finished!

snarkyinla thanked m_gabriel
  • jck910
    5 years ago

Drawers = horizontal and doors = vetical

• badgergal
    5 years ago

Your kitchen is going to look fabulous whether you put the pulls on the rails or in the middle of the drawer panel. I used pulls of mixed sizes for my drawers but instead of the unwritten rule of using a pull 1/3 the size of the drawer width, I had may pull lengths be approximately 1/2 the drawer width. The run below had 3 different drawer widths and consequently 3 different pull lengths. As you can see, I mounted them on the rails (or where the rail would have been on the slab drawers)

I had to place the pulls vertical on my upper cabinets because some of my cabinets have curved doors. My upper pulls are 10”

I like the look of horizontal pulls on doors but I think it is a more contemporary look.

Perhaps you could use some removable mounting putty to temporarily attach your pulls each way and determine which way looks best in your space. I have used Loctite Mounting Putty on painted walls and was able to remove it without damage.

Scotch brand makes a similar product.

snarkyinla thanked badgergal
  • caligirl5
    5 years ago

I did mine centered horizontally on the drawers and vertically on the doors.

Another decision is where to place them vertically on the doors. I just eye-balled mine and marked for the contractor. It looks fine, but it occurred to me later it would have been a little better to align the pulls with the horizontal rail (I had them do it that way on the sink doors).

Lots of options that will work!

I also did a few pulls centered where they wouldn't be awkwardly low/high (see appliance garage and pantry door way on the right)

snarkyinla thanked caligirl5