Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanmoor

Living Area Design Dilemma

amanmoor
6 years ago

I am having a little trouble trying to decide how to lay out the furniture for this room. I have not yet purchased anything for it. I would really like the room to have a cohesive feel to it, but feel like it is essentially two living areas. I would appreciate any suggestions on furniture selection and placement for the space. We do plan on painting all of the walls and trim white, and black doors.

Comments (6)

• BobTheBulider
    6 years ago

Go with a small sofa type by the stairs, maybe 2 small chairs in front of that sofa. Creating a campfire feel. On the otherside, maybe a large couch in front of the window? It's hard to see just how big that area is.

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Please post a sketch of the room with the measurements of this space including fireplace, doors, openings, windows.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

You have an abundance of doors, which always makes layouts challenging. It would help to know which doors you will use regularly, where the doors go to, and what the traffic patterns are. For example, do you need both sides of each set of French doors to open, or is one side enough?

Definitely treat the room as two living areas. It is too long and skinny for one seating area, and the header visually divides the space. You can tie the two halves together with your choices of furnishings.

• amanmoor
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is a very good point. The doors to the right of the second image lead out to a sun room, while the doors to the left lead to the dining room. It would be fine to leave both of the sun room doors closed or just have one open. Both doors leading to the dining room will likely stay open though.

• PRO
    Sandra Asdourian Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi,

When you come in the front door, it feels like you could have a place for seating and enjoy the fireplace. I would add a small table to the left of the door, at the bottom of the stairs( the wall under them) a console table with two small ottomans under them. In front of the fireplace two club chairs with a round table between them. On the other side of the room, create your second setting area by adding a med-size sofa (78 inches) under the window , cocktail table or ottoman coffee table. Arc light fixture to right of sofa, side table on left of sofa with table light fixture. Also I would add an area rug in the sofa area. Maybe a small chair if you have room. But not knowing the room measurement it is hard to tell if you have the depth in the room.