Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florimia

Should I paint my dark cherry cabinets or get new countertop?

florimia
5 years ago

The cabinets actually are darker then the pics.. I was thinking of painting them ebony but they are pretty new. I was then thinking of getting a very light quartz. I want it to look brighter and more modern. I would appreciate any idea's. Also, my floor isn't that redish as it looks in the pics. My other question is can I paint that backsplash white if I go with a light quart?

Comments (20)

• friedajune
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Your cabinets actually look very current to me. What is "out" are espresso-colored cabinets, which reached their height about 5 years ago, and now already look dated. So many people come on here asking how to change their espresso cabinets that it is surprising you are thinking of going in that direction.

Definitely changing the counters will be the better choice. 100%. Also, new sleek pulls. No twisties in your pulls please. You could also switch out your backsplash (not paint it, switch it for something else), but if your budget is limited, I'd do the counters and pulls first, then see how you feel. If you have more to spend, do the backsplash along with the counters and pulls.

Top Knobs Princetonian pulls:

florimia thanked friedajune
  • florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any idea what color quartz? Not liking the busy look and I am a fan of white. Thanks for the advice.

• friedajune
    5 years ago

There are dozens of white quartzes. Some with veining, some not (like the one I pictured above), some with light colorations in them, some not. I would search for the many threads on this forum for "white quartz" and see the pics posted to narrow it down. Then take one of your cabinet doors to a showroom, and see what looks good with it.

P.S. If you are going to change the counter, I'd change the faucet too while you're at it. Something sleek with an integrated sprayer, not the side spray you have. That will also make your kitchen look more current. Your sink is nice, and you can re-use it.

• florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your help.. and good ideas!

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago
    I think you could get a fresher look just by changing the backsplash. If you want to go the cheapest route.
    The cabinets look great to me. I’m not the biggest fan of granite, but it looks fine and would be pricey to change out.

I have a similar look and recently changed my backsplash to put on the market and it made a huge difference. Let me look for pics.
  • florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay, would love to see the pics! Just trying to get away from the beige in countertop and backspash..:)

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

change backsplash. while doing that-don't wrap it around like it is now.

(theoretically almost everything can be painted-doesn't mean that will look good/paint will stay. don't paint the backsplash)

painting the kitchen doesn't make it more modern..can make it more to your taste though.

what's your budget? painting professionally costs several K..take it into account

(there's always refacing..also several K. depending on how many doors/drawers you've got. by several K I mean 5 and up. same with pro painting. )

usually I'd say "change just the backsplash". I can see one wanting to change something here though in the cabs-not because it's cherry but because the stain looks a bit strange. The way it was applied. Are you sure it's cherry, or is it stain that's called "cherry"? that was applied to different wood?

don't do ebony with your flooring. You also wanted it more bright..how much light kitchen gets?

as somebody who's not a fan of granite-don't see anything wrong with your granite. but you need to decide whether you see something wrong with it-because if you decide, in the end, to go with different surface-that will influence other decisions (cabinets..and for sure backsplash)

I hope you'll get more responses, I'm interested to hear others' ideas

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

(ah ok while I was writing you got responses..)))

yes, not a fan of pulls-but it's an easier change..

florimia thanked aprilneverends
  • florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The cabinets are cherry but appear a bit lighter with this pic then they actually are. It is a galley kitchen but it is right off a very sunny sunroom. the floor is not as red.. more of a dark chestnut. I do not like white cabinets wouldn't be doing those. The house is only 2 years old so the cabinets are new. I am not a fan of granite , especially one this busy. I like the look of softer whiter tones. I really appreciate all these ideas.

• florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i don't know why I chose those pulls. I thought they were "different" lol

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I like the pulls because they are different but I'd pick a pull that blends in more with the cabinets. They are standing out too much. Maybe something in a brushed nickel or an ORB pull?

Frankly I think the granite is neutral enough that I'd leave it. To replace it will be several thousand dollars. Quartz is not cheap.

I would however redo the backsplash and pick out the lightest color and do a plain ceramic tile for the backsplash. As April suggested, don't pull it out along the sidewall like that. Just under the upper cabinets along the back wall.

One other thing I'd consider spending money on if you can still get the same cabinets is to enclose the fridge so you don't see the gray sides. :)

florimia thanked cpartist
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

okay..so so far I understood to you the granite is a biggest issue

then..change for quiter countertop surface you love(but you need to decide whether you're changing color/stain of the cabinets. since they have to correlate, colorwise). different backsplash. quieter surface will give you more freedom with backsplash too. different pulls(unless you like the ones you chose)

Learn pros/cons of your preffered countertop material in advance..Quartz is not bulletproof..(as granite isn't too. none of them are-everything will have pros/cons)

for example, I love mitered edge more than rounded-but more possibility it might chip.

Find as much as you can about every material you're going to install.

If you do decide to paint/re-stain (and no, I'm not advocating white, like, at all)-it should be a pro job(unless you're willing to do it yourself..and know how, and will take lots of time) and yes, it'll chip too if say a fork falls or a knife and bangs onto it)) everything might chip-but on stain you'll see it less/will be less bothered

in short learn as much as you can about what you'll be working with..and check your own tolerance to imperfections

I can't see your kitchen fully..maybe you won't need any seams. if you do though-you'll see it to a degree on quiter light Quartz. not a biggie but first several days one can't keep eyes off that seam)) then one gets used to.

backsplash-whatever will be-decide where you finish it(I'd do lower bottom cabinet level) and how.

every guy/gal you'll talk to-being it a store or your GC or installer or..-ask questions. Don't presume they know you don't know..some will educate you, some won't. Ask everything..

• Helen
    5 years ago

Different strokes for different folks :-)

I personally couldn't imagine changing anything in a functional kitchen that by most people's standards is attractive albeit not to one's specific tastes. I much prefer wood to an after market paint job. I did paint my kitchen cabinets in my first home but those were 30 year old plain thin wood doors - who knows of what species since the cabinets were built on site of plywood and the avocado green formica was also there from 1965 :-)

But if you have discretionary income and want to spend it on that rather than other things and assuming it really is discretionary income because you are on track for retirement and have adequate emergency funds - go for it.

ETA - I agree that backsplash needs to go - it doesn't even seem to be the right color to tie the wood and granite together - and the pulls are fun but they also are visually discordant.

florimia thanked Helen
  • sunsoleil
    5 years ago

I’d change backsplash and pulls. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how fresh it will look.

florimia thanked sunsoleil
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

yeah..I didn't like any element in my previous kitchen lol..granite? didn't like it, cabs-didn't..backsplash-didn't.appliances and sink and faucet-didn't....yet it all played quite nicely together..it worked..was very functional. also I had this kitchen one couldn't really see from entrance or living..middle of the plan, you know?

so it didn't even come across my mind to change it

here I'd be bothered with backsplash only since it's an odd man out, really.

but for example I really dislike some stones, that was the reason for me to try and change our current fireplace (that I'll have to change again due to poor execution)). My DH loved it, but I didn't like it at all. and it'd boss me around forever. And I'd have to work around something I strongly dislike. It had a very strong character-that clashed with mine..))

some people dislike surfaces that seem fake to them(some strongly dislike fake wood, others, fake stone..)), some people dislike busy natural stones, etc.

• florimia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All this advice has been extremely helpful

• Chessie
    5 years ago

If the cabinets are new, I probably would not paint them. I don't care for the granite - too much the old-style busy/spotted/splotchy look that is unfortunately inherent in most granite. You can get granite with nicer movement, it's just not common. This is just my personal taste of course, but I like clean, simple & calming for the kitchen. I would choose to replace the counters.

I would also change those pulls. Like, yesterday. :-)

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would not paint the cabinets. The granite is nice, but builder grade. The backsplash is the real problem here. If you are really wanting the change the granite then go for it & replace the backsplash as well. The pulls could be changed as well, but they are different & might reflect your own style.

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

florima,

Sorry I never got back with backsplash pictures until now. I did also paint the walls, but even before that the new backsplash made a huge difference. The new is just simple white/off white ceramic tiles from Lowe's.

I would start with changing that and the pulls and you would have a nice classic look for minimal money. I'm actually mad we didn't do this a long time ago. I hated that backsplash for the past 8 years.

original- how we bought the house

updated- like a whole new kitchen