Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jepjmp

Open concept dining room decor HELP!

jepjmp
5 years ago

This space has me stumped, as I don't know what to do with it. The two windows are the problem,

but I can't change them. The wall is 111" wide. Have looked at pictures,clocks, decorative decor.

There isn't a lot of space for a sideboard against the wall, but would consider. Would a chandelier

help?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Off the wall suggestions here. 1. A fabric panel on a rod that spans the length of the room. 2. A beautiful folding screen. 3. Make it an accent wall, paint it the color of your choice and show the windows off as design elements.

jepjmp thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    Heather Bates Design
    5 years ago

We think just hanging a drapery panel over both windows will hide them and perhaps make you happier with your space. Also yes, a chandelier would very much help the space.

High-End Traditional Home: Dining Room · More Info

jepjmp thanked Heather Bates Design
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t put drapes on this wall. I don’t think the windows look bad, they are what they are. I’d ignore them. Yes to a chandelier over the table, but we can’t see the whole table area.

jepjmp thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • jepjmp
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Attached are photos that might give you a better perspective of the room.

I think a chandelier would be great, but what style? I'm rather traditional.

Don't think the drapery idea will work. Would floating shelves on the wall

look good? What about a slender server?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Those windows are just odd--can you replace them with a picture window? or a bay window? They do nothing for your room.

And yes, a chandelier is always appropriate for a dining room.

jepjmp thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

Not sure you have room for a server. Is there other lighting, like pendants, in an adjacent area? That might affect your style choice. Otherwise go with what appeals to you. Something simple, based on your other furnishings.

jepjmp thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Angle your chairs in a different way. Put the one farthest away in the picture exactly in the middle of the space between the windows, don't move the table, then put the rest accordingly spaced so that now the chairs make a cross with the top of the cross between the window. By doing that you give a visual of filling up that wall a bit. Then get a nice chandelier and you're good to go.

jepjmp thanked Yayagal
  • jepjmp
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Moved chairs, added a tree in bckgrnd. What would you think of a floating

shelf or two? Like this sconce?

• jay06
    5 years ago

I think the builder intended for those windows to be above a console table or buffet. If you can move your table back a bit to provide more room for it, a narrow console table as suggested by Jamie Ludwig above would look terrific there.

jepjmp thanked jay06
  • Waynette Bailey
    5 years ago
    Don't cramp the space with a console. Leave the table where it is. Get an area rug and a chandelier. Done!
    jepjmp thanked Waynette Bailey
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like the idea of a skinny console table as well. The space seems to call for it. Can the dining table & chairs be pulled out a little bit further from the wall?

Maybe something like this?

jepjmp thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • hiccup4
    5 years ago

I'm wondering if some kind of paneling under the windows would look out of place. Do you have any paneling in the rest of the space? Otherwise, ignore it...rug/chandelier. Done and done.

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I think that the Windows look fine. I have seen those in many older homes. They let natural light in but prevent a close neighbor from being able to look in. I would not add any shelves. If a narrow table fits, that would be nice.

Otherwise, as was said, add a pretty light and rug.

jepjmp thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • ryan_alsbali
    5 years ago
    Sideboards, buffets, storage unit & console tables
    jepjmp thanked ryan_alsbali