Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collectorguru

Yikes! Now, it's time to update! Help Me, Please GET RID OF THE GOLD!

Design2 girl
5 years ago

So, I have spent January-May working on my son's house, and I just looked around my own house, and it is in dire need of painting. The walls are currently Ben Moore HC-34 Wilmington Tan and boy, are they dark and dated. Ceilings are 1/4 same formula, Trim color is Ben Moore OC-53 which is a bright white. Seemed like such a great idea when the decorator chose the colors back in 2002 when this home was built, but you can imagine how dark and dated I feel at this point.

The whole house needs to be painted, oh lawsy, I don't know if I can even stand to start this process, but I refuse to be defeated! I have a painter scheduled for 9:00 a.m. for the first estimate.

I would like to use Sherwin Williams paint if possible and my intention is to lighten up, brighten up, and get into 2018 with the right-white! I am not interested in grays, and when you see these floors, it will be apparent why I am not wanting to go that direction.

Please hit me with the best choices for great SW "tried and true" white/off white wall colors that will be consistent throughout the foyer, dining room, living room, breakfast room and kitchen and still work with the other elements that will remain in this house.

Here's the living room wall color, the mantle is staying as is and the white built ins on either side will remain.

Here is the foyer, open to the dining and living room, and the gold sconces and mirror will remain.

Gold has Got to GO!

And here is a pic of the tile floor in the kitchen, breakfast room and laundry. It is staying and the cabinets are glazed maple, granite is St. Cecilia. I love a country french kind of feel, and have a lovely collection of flow blue that I want to carry into the breakfast room.

My biggest concern is how a white wall is going to look with the floors. Will that work? The island is painted black with distressed finish. Ugh, not wanting to paint the cabinets at this time. But, I need a white paint choice that will have a bit of warmth without going pink/gray/green in this house.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated in advance.

Comments (1.1K)

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

well, now that you put the screen in the photoshop pic, I don't like it at all, greenfish. Thank you for saving my wallet. The mantel shelf is so very deep that the installer refused to place it so close to the heat source, that is how we got it built up so that it could pass code to not be a fire hazard. There will never be an ugly built up hearth placed here. I can't imagine that.

I am kinda digging the massive magnolia for some fresh greens in the house, could be my version of New Years tree, ha! .

And yes, Molly, he is efficient. I have 1/2 the tree on the back porch, ha! Back to his regular ballgame programming!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Thanks Design2..gosh did not mean the entire room..just that front of fireplace vignette...chairs are much better moved apart and try them straight instead of angled..still not crazy about the big vases inside that fireplace...it just seems to make it more pronounced! you Look at that area rather than the art....keep it simple!:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Kjoy..so pretty! Love it

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    I do like the look of greenery there . It ties in so well with your beautiful painting, too. Men do tend to do things in “a BIG way “ -haha !
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

D2g, husband is a true keeper. Some of us have spent years trying to train them, but alas, it's usually the Mother we can thank for turning them out so well!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Those foo dog vases are fabulous!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Oh, magnolia leafs are nice too. Might use just a bit less??
    Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

lol design2 my hearth is indeed ugly but if you look at FPs with hearths they can be quite lovely, firebox looks more proportioned to the mantle when it is sitting on the hearth. Fireboxes floating above a hearth would typically be without a mantle and have a more modern look.

Something wrapped in your stained wood, topped with stone to match the existing surround-It just balances things better IMO

Design2 girl thanked greenfish1234
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Mock up with foo dog vases. Not sure I have size quite right. I would remove center plate to keep focus on jars.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Flo, are these the ones I posted? I'm wondering if they need to be pulled away from her art...or if we need something shorter....such as her flow blue platter?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

With Flow Blue porcelain in the bookcases, I would not repeat that on the mantel or below it. The fireplace area is small and dark, and something simple like white birch logs, the vase with flowers on top and something sculptural on the other side would be lovely. An antique Chinese horse with rider on the left and the vase as you have it on the right would be interesting and would introduce life and movement. The horses are very pricey, but another consideration might be Han Dynasty tomb figures. Brian Page Antiques in England is completely reputable; he has only genuine antique figures. They will not fight with the Flow Blue and are very compelling in their own right.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Design2 do you have a mantle clock?....one item is enough....I do believe you have plenty iof room for two slender sconces...than nothing on the mantle.

Design2 girl thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Yes, Karen they are the ones you posted. I live them however as I explained earlier, i would do simple sculptures on the mantel and posted horse pieces or cranes to compliment the pastoral art. I worry about more blues on mantel or in front of fire box. Think a metal material would create more interest and allow eye a place to rest in this colorful room.
  • allanaspree
    5 years ago

Hi Design2 girl Suggested a few months back that perhaps an urn with a fern or some other plant in the fire place with the addition of a brass hearth surround of some description. These two items will pick up the greens & gold in your art. Add an Asian influenced horse or Tang horse on mantle. I think more blue on mantle or near fire place detracts from the art imo

• allanaspree
    5 years ago

These sconces are also very pretty with their antique mirror plate and they are very narrow so should fit. These sconces add a prettiness/softness to the mantle if you just have a single object in the centre of the mantle. You can also add a chinoiserie small pillow to a chair or two if you felt something else was needed.

https://www.horchow.com/Mirrored-Sconce-with-Linen-Shade/cprod55170016_cat7930731__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat7930731%2526pageSize%253D30%2526Nao%253D30%2526Ns%253DPCS_SORT%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=cprod55170016&cmCat=product

• homechef59
    5 years ago

I suggested a pair of foo dogs or perhaps these Staffordshire dogs The point being, pick up another color besides the flow blue. I selected a rather plain pair at 1st Dibbs.

The pair of Staffordshire dogs are cute.

• Design2 girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just circled back and I am sorting through these comments. And yes, greenfish, I do understand how a raised hearth would have been a better option in this scenario, as well as lighter marble, but alas, that ship sailed! I will have to chalk it up to experience makes one wiser...., but I am not willing to change it at this point.

I really really love the mock up with the foo dog tall pieces! It’s my favorite because in my head, for the first time ever, I might add, I want a “matching” pair of something! I know you are shocked!

And, yes, HIWE, I actually do have a French mantel clock with the matching candelabras that we purchased on our first trip to Paris, so after your comment, I trudged back to the bonus room to give it a try. The best part of this is there is a meaningful significance as it was our 20th Wedding anniversary trip. Do we like this look any better? May not be quite perfect, and if this was placed there, do you see candles? What color/size? Personally I find this very very dark on an already dark mantel shelf background. The mantel clock is usually on the white built ins and the candelabras were upstairs not in use. And I prefer the clock on the white background for that reason. But, what say you, houzzers??
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Nope. Lol. The scale and darkness is not working. Plus, this is the vignette that provides the opportunity to shake things up just a bit. How about some celadon vases on mantel. I think what is throwing things off a bit is the new art. It is beautiful but the colors are more subtle and I wonder if it is the perfect piece there? I have been accepting it as a done deal but i could see a beautiful mirror reflecting your new gorgeous chandelier. And your Christmas Radko wreath would look gorgeous hanging on the mirror. Mirror has to have some black and antique golds like the chandelier. ;)
  • lshack17
    5 years ago
    Another vote for a mirror, I feel like this particular mantle really needs it. I think HIWE said it previously, too.

I will fall over if Design2 says I have mirror that might work in the bonus room. :) Is anyone else dying to see the infamous bonus room and all the fabulous treasures it holds? Just kidding, Design2, some things should remain a mystery.
    Design2 girl thanked lshack17
  • Design2 girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Totally agree that its just all toooooo dark with the clock/candlebras, Flo.

I did seriously consider a mirror here, but I just placed a mirror in the foyer over the sideboard which opens right into the living room and is visible from the same view as you enter the front door. The art grouping that I did on the opposing wall which would be reflected in the mirror is so very neutral and (boring) although I love the subject matter . So, while the chandelier would be great in the mirror reflection, I feel like I would be just repeating what is already done.

So, as far as the painting, while it doesn't have the cows that I really wanted (last name Bovine over here) it gives me the glorious introduction of much needed GREEN while answering the blue in the sky, so lets just say, the painting is a done deal.

I really want to try a pair of taller, matching vases that aren't Waterford. Keep looking, I'll be back. The hubs is ready to go .

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Patinated bronze with gilt bronze highlights, each on a square base, the ovoid bodies decorated with ears of corn, signed 'A. Erdmann'. $5800/make offer My suggestion would be to take away all the vases and Flow Blue pieces on and at the f.p. Replace with something akin to this bronze pair (no brass) and add a decorative fire screen with a bamboo surround and needlepoint inset (from 19th century)

Pair of Gilt and Patinated Bronze Lidded Antique Vases For Sale at 1stdibs · More Info

Pair of Gilt and Patinated Bronze Lidded Antique Vases For Sale at 1stdibs · More Info

Yikes! Now, it's time to update! Help Me, Please GET RID OF THE GOLD! · More Info

Design2 girl thanked karen paul interiors
  • kjoy1
    5 years ago

I think a mirror would look great:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

No rule on how many mirrors...a mirror would be the game changer above this fireplace..round on the smaller side with sconces....gold Fireplace screen...it would look so gorgeous.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    How about a pair of simple green vases. I looked for antique celadon but i think you will need deeper green. I know you love authentic pieces but the shape and color of these are nice and have the depth of color that works better with the woods and art.
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Love the look of sconces there - BUT, since you have indicated you are set with your overhead lighting , this flared shape vase might work. A pair of these with paired pillows on your chairs would give a lighter and brighter feel to that area, as well as a pop that is more unique in style from the rest of your pottery. This hand blown glass is not as subtle as the blues and greens in your painting and that, I think , would add a little life to the whole vignette. —- Love the greenery and a touch of brass/ gold down below.
    Design2 girl thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

set of these tall white urns from One Kings Lane..

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Ebay pair $550.00 Handmade to look old. LOL!

Yikes! Now, it's time to update! Help Me, Please GET RID OF THE GOLD! · More Info

Pair Chinese Porcelain Blue and Light Green Tall Vase mh155 | eBay · More Info

Design2 girl thanked karen paul interiors
  • PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    5 years ago
    Design, I like your artwork over the fireplace. And I like the gold sconces someone photoshopped into the picture. I also like flo’s and nicci’s idea of vases. I think the greenery inside the firebox looks nice and i would also try the white logs, just to see what that looks likes an option.
    Design2 girl thanked Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Wishing I could photoshop, but this might provide a better visual next to one another -
    Design2 girl thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Trying to mock it up for you nicci but Houzz isn’t cooperating.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Would anyone be willing to do a mock up with the tall white urns I posted? They are 36” tall...and gold Horchow screen....Kjoy are you up to it?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Every time i try to crop a picture when I go to place in the “sketch” it repositions the photo cutting off the bottom. So frustrating. This started happening after a update a couple back. I have tried “tricking” it hence all the white background. Best I can do.
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Aww - that is so sweet of you, Flo ! Thank you ! One just doesn’t know sometimes, until you see them together.
  • PRO
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

I prefer the painting in that space. & I think any mantel pieces need to be as fine and interesting as your flow blue.... which does not mean it has to be expensive. More likely than not,I'd stay away from ceramic items (although there are always exceptions,see below) looking at metal,wood,papier mache,glass etc. instead. Happy Hunting!

https://www.rubylane.com/item/463918-SSTS0014/Pair-Ceramic-Chinese-Crested-Dogs?search=1

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I don’t think the sconces help. With all the other beautiful items in this room, keeping mantel simple will be trick to unifying everything. I understand you are decided on the art, but I would love to see an “above mantel” mirror. It has to be wide and not too high since it looks like you only have maybe 32/36” under crown molding to top of wood of mantel piece.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

hollybar, I want those for myself! Love them.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

These also from Ebay..made to look old and they've done a great job. Reasonably priced like the others...$487.50

Chinese Pair Blue & White Flower Birds Porcelain Temple General Jars cs4464 | eB · More Info

• kjoy1
    5 years ago

Not the exact reflection the mirror would have but you get an idea:)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I couldn’t find exactly the mirror but this is vision I have. A mirror like this.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Sorry for the poor quality of mock ups. The “sketch” tool on house is suffering from a holiday hangover i think. Couldn’t be me! Lol
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Well My first shot at this decor sketch tool! Urns are a bit big and would like them slimmer but couldn’t find any in the app..

• kjoy1
    5 years ago

Good job HIWE!

• lshack17
    5 years ago
    I like it! Simple, elegant and light. Which might be exactly what is called for so as not to compete with the fabulous chandelier and other decor.
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I hear ya D2G, we all have plenty of those missed opportunities in our homes. I know I have tons! It certainly doesn't make your home any less beautiful! However, I would not draw attention to it with a FP screen, except maybe one of those fold over types Flo mentioned-they tend to stand higher. I also wouldn't buy anything else for the mantle. You don't need to match the art, and you have so many lovely things. I would sooner see your beautiful clock and candelabras, though not "perfect," because they are a piece of your story.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I would add your mantle clock from Paris for sure...this was the only one I could find on the decor app:( trying to figure this app all out;/ I do like the taller screen with feet looks great.

• allanaspree
    5 years ago

If you want to keep your current fireplace setup (2 vases & greenery) you might want to go all the way with two cobalt blue ewer vases on mantle. Any cobalt blue in bonus room?

Design2 girl thanked allanaspree
  • raromeo
    5 years ago
    following
  • Seajay Sparkles
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Crickets.........