Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btkk23

Ugly Backsplash Crisis!

Kelly H
5 years ago
Hello, everyone! My husband and I are closing on a new home next month. The current decor, paint colors, and style of the house are definitely not our taste at all.

Please help me with this backsplash! As you can tell the metallic backsplash on either side of the stone does not match the granite or stone at all, so it's going. The stone is nice but it doesn't really match the granite, but we are leaving it.

Thoughts on what we can do with the backsplash, please. I was thinking of a solid tile color that matches a color in the stone, but I really don't know. Did I mention the kitchen paint is bright yellow? No idea to bring this all together to make it look less busy. Thanks for the help!

Comments (24)

• charaj00
    5 years ago
    I like the stone backsplash behind the cooktop and agree the metallic on either side of the stone should go. A solid sheet of stainless steel would look cool there with the contemporary cabinets. Wonder if you can go over the existing tiles and save yourself the expense and possible damage to the granite???
  • Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

For the backsplash I would try a light grey glass subway tile,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bestview-Grey-Linen-Polished-Glass-Subway-Tile-Common-3-in-x-12-in-Actual-11-81-in-x-2-87-in/1000003336

Then paint over the yellow with a light grey color. Lucky for you there is not much backsplash to replace.

• Kelly H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love these suggestions! Thank you. Wait til you see the paint colors for the rest of the house...yikes!!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I can see the orange!

honestly, if removing part of the backsplash, just take out that slate behind the stove. whatever you put next to it (including that gray glass) is going to look terrible. Why do half and not the other? will be a pain to clean anyway. Plus, it looks horrible in there w/the counter and cabs and they took it too far up. should have stopped even w/the cabinet tops.

if you are dead set on keeping that ledger slate, then just remove the shiny tile, redo the drywall and paint. do not put any other tile next to that slate!

since the cabs are more on the modern style, go w/that glass tile mentioned above, or something like these

• Kelly H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My husband thought we should just remove the tile and just paint but I'm on the fence....thought it would be annoying to keep the paint clean. The other side of the kitchen is also covered in the hideous backsplash. We were thinking about removing the stone but it also seemed like a pain...I kind of agree with you that more tile next to the stone will make it look too busy with the granite. This is tough!!!!!!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

bite the bullet and take it out. all of it. it's not that much more to do behind the stove. I can show you some better choices once it's all out and you repaint.

seriously,,there are so many beautiful backsplash tiles that go so much better w/your granite and cabinets. you're going to be there for awhile,,,it will be worth it. trust me. the first time to try to clean off spaghetti sauce or splattered oil from the stone, you're going to wish you pulled it down!

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Perhaps a travertine tile next to the stone
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

travertine tends to look pink unless you get the true ivory. and then it's going too look to creamy next to that granite. no. just start over.

• Kelly H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We have to repaint the ENTIRE interior because every room is either orange, yellow, red, or green...it's going to cost a ton because some of the ceilings are very high, so we were trying to save money by doing part of the backsplash and keeping the stone. Do you think it will be costly to take and all of the backsplash? Including the metallic backsplash that's on the other side of the kitchen? I agree that it would make more sense to take it all down...just worried about the cost.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Take it all down. Take painting one room off the list and put that to this more needed change. You will never regret it. Natural stone is worst choice for backsplash. So many better choices especially with your pretty cabinets!
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Do as much of the painting yourselves as possible--and you will save more than enough to redo that whole backsplash :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Kelly,,are you guys DIY? at all? taking down the splash yourself isn't difficult. the prob will be the drywall (if it's done on drywall) behind it. if that's the case, then just cut the drywall off on the edge border of the tile and take it down in sheets. (you're going to ruin the drywall pulling off the tile anyway) then, replace the drywall or use green board or cement board for your new substrate. if you can do the demo yourself, you'll save about 1K. there are plenty of you tube videos on how to remove tile backsplash. and if you pick a relatively inexpensive tile something under $15 a sq foot, then the cost to redo shouldn't be that much.

Ever tiled ? backsplash is the easiest to learn on.

and yes, paint a few bedrooms or bathrooms yourself to offset the cost. make a deal w/the painter. pay in cash and see if they'll take off a few hundred. doesn't hurt to ask.

• Kelly H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We were going to hire someone, but I have faith that my husband would do a good job. He's somewhat handy. If we were to rip it all down, any suggestions for backsplash?

Project #2 - paint the ENTIRE house!!! Lol ahhhhh
  • deegw
    5 years ago

Take it down and paint. I had a painted backsplash while I decided on tile. It was no harder to keep clean than the counters. If you are messy cooks you can put a piece of stainless behind the cook top

Edited to add: Boy, it seems like the previous owner's decorating mantra was "more is more".

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

wow. i'm getting a sunburn looking at those rooms.

get the paint done and rip it out and we can revisit tile. I already posted about 5 choices. do you like any of those? (they don't have to be all white,,,it's just an idea of the tile looks like)

some other suggestions.

this one is similar granite to yours...elongated hex or picket shape

little more modern style to fit your cabs. Also:
    a type of glazed brick, thinner subway done on the vertical

longer, thinner glass tile

or a solid back painted glass

• Kelly H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love the last three. Thank you!
  • tatts
    5 years ago

I love the stone, but not as a backsplash. Tear it all out and start with a clean slate. But not slate either.

• btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I agree...remove all backsplashes....just paint...as hubby suggested....keep it slick and simple....looks like you have enough on your plate ...getting the rest of the house painted would be my priority
  • Jo
    5 years ago
    I would suggest taking all of the backsplash tile down and then choosing one tile to use throughout the backsplash.
  • PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    5 years ago

We agree with everyone and say remove the entire backsplash as well and start over. We actually think a white, cream, or blue backsplash would be the best choice here.

Artistic Urban Remodel · More Info

Amy's Kitchen · More Info

Luxury Mid-Century Modern Remodel · More Info

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago

We were in a similiar situation when we bought our house a couple years ago. The entire house was painted a horrible shade of yellow (including all the ceilings) with hunter green trim. We painted the entire inside of our six bedroom house. Our foyer is about the same height as yours - that was not fun. The vast majority of your house looks totally doable. Just have a painter do the high area of the foyer. Tile work is not hard if you take your time snd educate yourself and a backsplash is the easiest way to learn. Try to DIY it and you will save a bundle as paint is not that expensive. Congratulations on your new house. I would definitely remove all the backsplash including the stone. It does not go with your granite and it will be virtually impossible to keep clean if you cook at all.

• cjohnston
    5 years ago
    I agree with others who say to take out all the backsplash tiles. The previous owners clearly did not have a good eye for design, so keeping their choice behind the stove just perpetuates the bad design.

I think this pic is good as inspiration.
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

If expense is an issue (and it always is when moving into a new house), consider investing in the rooms where you will spend most of your time first, and then paint the lesser-used rooms later down the road.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Since you are just closing on this house next month, move into it and spend some time living in it while you decide in order of importance what need to be done and what the budget allows and what projects you want to hire out and what projects you are willing to take on yourselves. Looks like your project list could be a bit long and you don't want it to overwhelm you and you get frustrated. So take a deep breath and make your list. Congrats on your new home.