Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_covington

Cream trim -- ugg

Jen Covington
5 years ago

Moved into new house with cream trim, cream windows, blinds. Cherry kitchen cabinets warm granite and dark pergo floors.

UGG I have a more of a fresh and modern style. I love white with bright pops of bright colors.

Could I paint the trim white without it looking weird against the almond cream windows?

Just to do away with the cherry kitchen cabinets I would prefer white but I am guessing short term I am going to have to go with cream to match the trim?

How did i not notice this when i purchased the house! I Hate beige -- white is more my style!

Yes and they walls are way too dark. But again I have a hard time wrapping the beige/cream trim around my head to find colors that work with our style.

Comments (12)

• shari13
    5 years ago

No idea why you are so focused on the trim when I think it is not a big part of the whole picture.

• Jen Covington
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    all the doors, windows and trim and even blinds are cream so my dream white kitchen and bathrooms seems out of reach.

I am looking for a cost effective mini makeover that won't look cheap.
  • remodeling1840
    5 years ago
    Get a can of paint, a trim brush, and a drop cloth. $100, max.
  • Jen Covington
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    at remodeling...to do the trim or the cabinets?

the delima is I don't think I could change the color of the trim and doors due to the windows being almond and the blinds being cream, antique white throughout the house.

I guess I have 2 delimas whether to paint the cabinets.

and coming to terms and incorporating cream/almond/off white trim, doors and windows into my decor throughout the house.

so can anyone point me to some inspiration of rooms with cream trim that feel more modern/contemporary/electic and not traditional?

what color paints with what undertones should I stick with. I would love to go with a much lighter gray on the walls and white cabinets could it be done with the antique white trim?

maybe I could do an off white on the cabinets so the contrast isnt so jarring with the darker trim through out the house.
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Jen, yes, you can paint your trim white. White, cream, beige, it all works together... and it's an inexpensive refresh.

white painted trim on cream walls - Google Search · More Info

white painted trim on cream walls - Google Search · More Info

If white is more your style, you could also paint the walls in your kitchen white. Looks like the baseboard in your kitchen is white but hard to tell. What you want to avoid would be a jarring white with your cabinets.

white trim cherry cabinets - Google Search · More Info
    So cream walls with white trim might be less contrast-y.... not so jarring:
    white walls cherry cabinets - Google Search · More Info

• iheartsix
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Jen -- are you saying your window frame molding or the casing is almond? Yes, everything is paintable and should you choose to paint all trim/doors white you would be fine with your window frame almond. I'm assuming you would change out your blinds? I think whites and creams play exceptionally well together. If you're looking to replace your cabinets I'm certain you would be able to find a shade of white that fits with your floor, countertop and window trim. Don't fight your creams. Enjoy the process of pulling it all together.

• Jen Covington
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes the window frames are almond.

I am reading up on some other threads, I could keep the beige trim and go white/off white on the walls. So the trim color looks intentional instead of the beige pretending to be white. see pic for inspiration.
  • Jen Covington
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes exactly! Sorry for the confusion -- oooh I like that idea so you have a link?

The almond window frames and antique white trim lend itself to a more traditional design and pallete that I am not a fan of.

Trying to figure out how to make minimal changes for a more modern feel. Without splurging for a major renovation costs.

I feel updating the cherry cabinets would be a huge first step to get away from that traditional feel.
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Yes, Jen, another trend is to go with darker baseboard and crown molding, lighter walls. That would give you more of the white look you desire by painting your walls white.

I'm not sure how I feel about the newer trend of darker molding and baseboards. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but it just seems more 'enclosing' to me. Just my personal aesthetics.

• Jen Covington
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ThinkDesignLive...found that blog you were talking about. funny thing is I already coincidentally found that one before you suggested it. Too funny.
  • Matt P
    3 years ago

@Jen Covington have a link. Trying to over come this issue. ty