Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emillerslo

Missing the WOW factor on the exterior... advice?

emillerslo
5 years ago

General feelings about the exterior is that we're missing the WOW factor- What would elevate the curb appeal of this house? Is it paint? Landscaping? A new garage door? A structural modification? I can't put my finger on it but my gut tells me we need something.... Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed! Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Denita
    5 years ago

Nice home!

I think you need a better landscape plan. More landscaping, less hardscape IMO. Too much driveway. Garage doors could be updated as those garage doors don't complement the house.

I would also change out the railings on the steps. They look too rustic for the exterior of this lovely home.

Is the front door wood or just painted brown? It should be a lighter, brighter color to draw the attention away from the garage doors.

emillerslo thanked Denita
  • PRO
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

Let me start by saying it is a beautiful home. But of course you can do a facelift to give the WOW factor you are looking for.

In order to give any advice, would be helpful to know what is your budget, what do you love/hate about it. what is your style? If you just want to liven it up a bit, you can certainly do that with some paint and landscape. It also depends on your style.

emillerslo thanked Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
  • emillerslo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The door is actually a muted red, apologies for the lack of clear photo, here's another one. When you suggest a different garage door, what do you recommend? I'm having a really hard time defining the style of the home so I'm not sure what to search for. Something with windows or not? Different color? Material? Here is another view of the front. I agree on the railing/stair comment. Thank you again!

• PRO
    Tiffany Amato Ethan Allen Puente Hills California
    5 years ago

the side gate and the wood railing should be a darker color.

• Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Daniel Island · More Info
    ^I like the cable railings for the steps rather than the wood on your house.
    Contemporary Plank Design · More Info
    ^I like this style garage door for your home

Kirkland Residence · More Info
    ^I like this style front door for your home. Maybe even the glass garage doors too, but really prefer the wood garage doors shown above this pic.

emillerslo thanked Denita
  • emillerslo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As for budget, my thought process is to develop 3 different options (low, medium and high budget) to see what the difference makes. If what you're asking is am I willing to make structural changes, then yes, possibly, if I feel the look/quality of the home is elevated.

• PRO
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

By simply making the window trims, garage doors and front door a darker tone and adding some landscape, it will already make a big difference.

Of course you can add a balcony/second story (not sure if you have a second story or just an attic).

If you like the modern style (although that would completely change your home, and am not sure if that is your style, but its an idea) you can update the front door and garage door

another one

emillerslo thanked Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
  • phuninthesun
    5 years ago

A real wood garage door would look best. However, if you just paint the existing doors and your window and roof trim darker brown it will make a significant difference.

emillerslo thanked phuninthesun
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Really nice home. Like your landscaping efforts on the left but there is still a lot of concrete.

If you could move the fence on the right side of the garage (that is now even with and continuing the same line as the front exterior wall of your garage) or replace it with another, preferably natural wood finish fence set back several feet from its current location, then you could create a green planting area in front of it. That could help offset so much concrete -- especially if you could use a few visible treated posts for supporting that fence -- posts to which you could add brackets for hanging pots of blooming plants.

Budget permitting, perhaps you could add a forward facing gable roof on the left side of the house … left of and extending a few feet beyond the front exterior wall of the garage. Doing this could both create a usable front porch left of your existing steps overlooking your garden/landscaping and it would add curb appeal by making your front entrance more prominent -- more the focal point of your home -- rather than your garage.

From a porch on the left, you'd have only a couple of steps down (or ramp) to stand on the top of the slope and the beginning of a walk path path near/alongside the tall shrubs on the left of your home (along the same path as your white edging) through your front yard garden/landscaping.

Adding a simple concrete bird bath to any landscaping can add interest. Make sure the bowl is wider at the top so if the water in it ever freezes, the water will be able to expand without breaking the bowl.

If decide to build the porch: If your porch is supported by posts with a natural wood finish you could link it to the garage by adding an arbor over both garage doors in the same finish, keeping your current garage doors and having them painted the same color as the siding or replacing one or both of them with a wooden door with window above.

emillerslo thanked suezbell
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Not a pro here but the "wall" of garage doors right up front just needs something different for me. I wouldn't want to go too contemporary. Some glass across the top of the doors would help.

Nice landscaping from phun!

emillerslo thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

emillerslo thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images