Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Please, let us see your colorful plants of 'summer' 2018

myermike_1micha
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, it is that time for many here and I am just 2 weeks away from the first day of summer, although I can honestly say it feels like fall tonight. Average highs should be in the high 50's by now and tonight it's going into the 30's for many folks here in my state. It's been very cool and dry and cold fronts abound every other day. Weird for my weather and yet these cool nights affect coloring on my plants drastically. I kind of like that and here are a few. Hopefully yours are showing some good colors too.

Please share your colorful plants for the summer with us)

Comments (39)

• Skyler, N. TX
    5 years ago

The Graptosedum alpenglow are really the only plants that are nicely colored. Also that weather sounds nice. Around 10 last night it was still 88F but felt like 92F.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Mike, it's always wonderful to see your very beautiful Maruba Nishiki. I don't know what to call this wacky weather, it's making growing succulents a bit more challenging. Last night temps were forecast for 47F so I held off on watering them all until today, and I tried to wash their leaves of pollen again. The only good part of the cool days it has been more comfortable to do some de-weeding. If you aren't up to visiting soon, then could I visit there again? I could be your plant assistant :)

Skyler, what a pretty pot and those rosette succulents echo it so wonderfully!

Hobbit

Akai

Echeveria

-Nancy

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

:-)

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    5 years ago

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beaitiful everyone and thank you Amazing ! Here is a few of mine and Nancy as you requested )) Some how a petunia ended up in it. I didn't plant it but it just showed up in winter and has been growing since. I like the purple against the colors)

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Mike, thanks for more pics... all delightful eye candy. That purple petunia couldn't be any more perfect for the sun bleached Maruba Nishiki. Brings back memories of the art school color wheel, gee no wonder I fell for plants, with all their colors & shapes! What kind of plant is the golden leaved plant in the hanging basket? p.s. You missed my earlier question, silly! I just wouldn't mind a road trip sometime, and while east, I may stop at a beach to look for shells & sea glass.

Chris, your planter of older echeverias is stunning!

Oksana, cute worm pot! Great red colored leaves you have achieved.

Lemon & Lime...

Carnival...

One of my favs...

-Nancy

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha. Beautiful ! Thanks Nancy.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

A container started from all cuttings

myermike_1micha thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
  • greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Wow, really beautiful pictures!!!

Josh

myermike_1micha thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • myermike_1micha thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Cuttings that came from Al many years ago...never disappointing.

Echeveria imbricata, first time blooming...and what a show!

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Josh, way to go. Great job. Hey, I'm thinking it's time to chat soon bud.ha

Matt, I just love it when there are many different types in one container. The colors are nice. Good job.

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

I don't know how this looks on your screen, but the subtle colors in this Graptopetalum pentandrum superbum (I think) stem offset are really nice. It's so perfect, except for a couple of places on the edges I accidentally touched it. Indoors for now.

A jumpy bug was literally jumping from pot to pot, never touching the tray they're on. I didn't have a chance to get any closer. Then it disappeared. Maybe more interesting than colorful.

myermike_1micha thanked Jeff (5b)
  • Paul MI
    5 years ago

That twould be a spider, not a bug. ;-)

myermike_1micha thanked Paul MI
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Paul - well, eckskyooz me. Not all of us are into gross things. It's good that somebody is though.

Now you made me take more photos so that I can be on topic.

Is Portulaca grandiflora (Moss Rose) kind of a succulent?

Mammillaria elongata offsets are developing copper.

Echeveria agavoides is getting a little shimmery after being hardened off too hastily.

• T Bono
    5 years ago

myermike_1micha thanked T Bono
  • marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    5 years ago

Some of my plants enjoying the summer. Would anyone have a name for the echeveria with the pure yellow flowers in the small bonsai pot?

myermike_1micha thanked marguerite_gw Zone 9a
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

marguerite, I love that Ripple Jade. I hope mine grow up to be like that someday. Mine aren't growing at all.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    5 years ago

A simply lovely lot of plants here in general. What lovely sedums, Chris! Jeff, that jade you mention is a very recent purchase from a supermarket just this past winter. I had other jades like it but spotted three small flower-buds on this one. They actually fell off when I repotted the plant, but it was a curiosity to see them on what was obviously such a young plant. I never grow jades in full gritty mix any longer, but in proprietary cactus & succulent mix, or John Innes No. 2, with some added grit. I got tired of my jades just sitting there and never growing, but of course while they were in the gritty mix I see now that I should have fed them. I would advise you to put yours into some nutritious (minimal peat) soil and you'll see the difference quickly.

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

Thanks Marguerite! Funny you mentioned peat in soil. Some of my succulents grow in regular garden soil and yes one can appreciate the growth. I have an Echeveria lilacina which rival my Echeveria gibbiflora hybrid in size. Of course, the risk for rot will always be there but my microclimate is good with drying the soil pretty quick.

myermike_1micha thanked Chris (6a in MA)
  • Ann Murrell
    5 years ago

Planted this for a client last week here in Columbus, OH. We put it next to her pond where it will get a lot of hot sun all day, everyday. She will enjoy this while she sits in her Adirondack chair. I'm jealous!

If you're local, follow us on Facebook! A Proper Garden.

myermike_1micha thanked Ann Murrell
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

marguerite that's great to know. They seem to like more moisture than some other succulents anyway, so I'll try that. Because of what Chris wrote, I may try that with a couple of apparently stunted Echeverias too.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Ann, that's gorgeous! How tall is that pot? Do you have a pic from the side?

Chris, all your plants look incredible! I LOVE how they spill over the edge, I can see them smiling too.

Jeff, you just reminded me, I forget all about one of my favorite flowers! I usually buy a few pots of it and/or have volunteers sprout from previous year. I'll pick some up asap. Found an anwser to your Q: "Portulaca grandiflora
    is a succulent flowering plant in the family Portulacaceae, native to
    Argentina, southern Brazil, and Uruguay....." (from Wikipedia).

Nil, great color....looks like fire!

Josh, your Maruba Nishiki has grown a ton! Wow, great to see! I will get picks of mine soon. This seems to be a robust grower.

myermike_1micha thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Mike, just realizing looking again at your pink cactus bloom, that was massive! Did you get a pic from the top by chance? Many thanks for Legolas advise last night!!! I appreciate it, Now I really get how this is such a tough jade to grow. For now it's back under the pergola, not sure if I should bring it indoors for the rainy & humid weekend.... any thoughts?

For all to know what happened... last night to my horror I noticed Legolas had a few rotten leaves and the soil was still wet from a few days ago. As I was removing the wet soil, two of it's largest leaves fell off too! I was in fear it was going to fall apart as I worked on it but thankfully got it repotted with the other leaves intact. (Potting mix with half pumice and some perlite) I did pull off some of the all white leaves but I may have another one or two I could take off, as you can see in this first pic below. (The bigger rocks help it stand up).

Also repotted this Var. gollum as there was a leaf below the soil line that was starting to rot and soil was still wet... so figured better repot it too.

-Nancy

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Josh...Here's the Maruba Nishiki, it would have been slightly larger but I took a cutting. I'm contemplating putting it into a pretty pot, would be nice to see the trunk. Yours looks beautiful in that blue glazed pot.

The rarer streaky/variegated/non-bleachable type of Maruba Nishiki. It says hello everyone :-)

-Nancy

5 years ago

Wow, Nancy, that looks great!

Josh

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Kalanchoe longiflora

Haworthia planifolia

Sedum (I think) from leaf cutting

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    5 years ago

Finally, get a chance to take some pictures.

I saw this pot of red horn tree (I believe?) in lowes the other day. But I resisted.

Nancy, I saw that you acquired a lot more since the akai jade :) a lot hard to find jade you are growing. Very nice collection.

myermike_1micha thanked Rockdale (RI Z6)
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

rockdale, those Firesticks are cool. Do all of those branches originate from one stem? I have a Pencil Cactus that I chopped off with one branch growing. I'd like it if it could look something like that (if I have room for it).

• T Bono
    5 years ago

Marguerite,

Following your comment about planting jades in ‘nutritious soil’, I repotted some of my jades in commercial cactus mix. I didn’t add any perlite but now I’m wondering if I should have...Would straightforward cactus mix be too wet? The jades stay out in full sun in the summer and grow indoors in the winter. If you have any further advice, I’d be very thankful.

(Previously, they had been potted in 1/2 cactus soil + 1/2 perlite. They were healthy but barely changed these past two years.)

myermike_1micha thanked T Bono
  • Ridley Donovan
    5 years ago

Amazing pictures guys.

myermike_1micha thanked Ridley Donovan
  • ninecrow
    5 years ago

Still Flowering, Inside As I Live in a Flat So There is Nowhere To Leave Them Outside....

myermike_1micha thanked ninecrow
  • Jessica SF Bay Area 10A
    5 years ago

Here are a few of my plants :)

Cuttings

myermike_1micha thanked Jessica SF Bay Area 10A
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Thanks Josh, it's such a good feeling when things go well :)

Margaret, that's a bowl of beauty you have there! I hope you are doing well and its not too hot there. I've never seen an Easter cactus so yellow! wow!

Thanks Rockdale! Yup, I've been jade crazy for a while, lol! Found them many ways and it all sparked from finding this forum. I remember that fun of going to look for the 'Akai' and how ecstatic I was to find it and then show them here on the forum. I still have them and should repot the two pots of it below but otherwise they are all doing well. Yours look fantastic, and your tricolor is getting big, that's wonderful.

Break Dancer

Return of Beauty

Denethor with hobbit leaf.

Old tricolor

-Nancy

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Photography and plants are sure a good combination of hobbies.

Hopefully my first ever Echeveria (no ID) flower.

Gollum was severely pruned early spring. It's just starting to look presentable. I like how small the leaves are.

Very small Mytillocactus geomtetrizans is shaping up nicely outdoors, although the color, as nice as it is, has me wondering.

Double Impatiens

• kathi_mdgd
    5 years ago

love those double impatients,such a pretty pink.

• Sarah Locklear
    5 years ago
    Lilies taking root beautifully!!!