Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27309437

can I paint the kitchen this colour ?

User
5 years ago
My whole house is primarily grey or Greige, the kitchen is the darkest being SW mink... I’m wanting a lighter feeling now and wondering even with the backsplash / counter if this colour would work if not what ? Thank you last pic is the blue I am liking ... thx

Comments (136)

• silviakunst
    5 years ago
    No to blue !
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Your room looks brighter and cheerier now. Glad that you are happy with it and I hope you make a lot of new wonderful memories around that table :)

• lhutch13
    5 years ago
    Your kitchen looks great and there’s no reason why you couldn’t do blue. Grey and beige walls are boring. You only live once, may as well have some color!
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Umm People.. the kitchen has been repainted this past week. Read the thread...

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Other side view.... down the road when the money tree arrives I’ll do solid surface counter and different backsplash :)
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Had the wine rack made because I needed a bigger fridge so wouldn’t fit with the low cabinet
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

What color choice r u doing?

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m having an electrician move the light over so it’ll be centred under table I don’t have a fancy kitchen but I’d love if anyone could suggest what light fixture would look nice over table. Thanks
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Do you have any concern about the hole that will be in the ceiling once it's moved?

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I actually really like the light now. Are you thinking you want a chandelier? Wayfair has thousands of options for under $200
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi ted
    I’m going to do a fairly simple ceiling medallion to cover as patching etc too much work

I was thinking chandelier (and thx Ellen for the compliment) in Canada Wayfair costs way more for their stuff but if anyone has an idea of type I’ll try to find here ...
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    How about a pale silvery gray such as DunnEdwards Silver Spoon? There are a number of pale silvers by any manufacturer which go well with grays and brushed stainless or brushed nickel hardware.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Becky, depending on the chandelier the other option could be to swag it thus no hole. What sites would be good for us to look at if you want to purchase on-line? Budget?

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I don't think you want anything that comes down too far, it will make it hard to sit and talk with someone across the table. You also don't want anything "heavy" since the space isn't huge. Here's some suggestions from Amazon. If you go with an elongated shape you may not need to move the light fixture, because generally the wires travel down one side or the other.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Have you tried Wayfair Canada? Take a look at their chandeliers: https://www.wayfair.ca/lighting/sb0/chandeliers-c215419.html

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Quorum 3-Light Geometric Chandelier & Reviews | Wayfair.ca · More Info

• tedbixby
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Boy, based on all the different suggestions, I think it says that you can go pretty much any style and it will be ok. Do you have any vision for the style that you'd like to see?

This one would blend in but still give you some interesting detail. As with any of the suggestions you just have to make sure that all the measurements are good for the table and space if you decide on one.

Farmhouse Pendant Lights | Birch Lane · More Info

• R M
    5 years ago
    I am proud of you. You gracefully accepted all
    suggestions,but did your on thing. The room
    looks great. Very inviting...a family space.
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Updates?

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Swag a bit? this 25 x 17" in satin bronze? $187.

Sea Gull Lighting 3140405-848 Driscoll Drum Chandelier, Satin Bronze · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/sea-gull-lighting-3140405-dris-prvw-vr~17043775

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone I did update lighting as the light was off centre went with a chandelier from Lowe’s (Edison bulb style bristow collection )
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes Molly I was thinking I may have to do something different there now that the light is lower. I also got a runner for floor which someone suggested and swapped out the light in middle of kitchen with the matching Bristow track light I will post pics of that later

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Becky- you did a great job of making this space your vision and staying true to yourself. So Bravo and you should be very proud of yourself.

I see you ended up swagging the chandelier and it looks fine.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Ted when I come into the money fairy I’ll be changing my backsplash and counter to what I actually want haha thanks for your comments :)
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

That really looks nice!

• Carol Ramunno
    5 years ago
    I like the Simply White, it pulls it all together and makes it flow better
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Umm Carol, are you suggesting a paint color because that was decided on already and the kitchen was repainted in early July which of course you knew because you read through the thread and saw the photos- silly me!

• Carol Ramunno
    5 years ago
    Oops lol
  • PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

You should definitely change the backsplash or the counters. They don't go well together - so busy! Unbusy and simplify the space by replacing one or the other with something plain but elegant, preferably in a light color.

• hazelcraddock
    5 years ago

I love all the ideas and suggestions made here. It's wonderful that you all take the time and use your experience to help others. It's not even my kitchen and I appreciate all the energy you have shared.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Aqua kitchen are you offering to do that ? Haha I will be replacing when funds allow it was a question on kitchen colour, I realize people hate my counter/ backsplash choice and I don’t love it either to be honest not my style at all big mistake lol but my money just had to go to a $2300 window well leak into basement booooo in time that will be done I have been here a year I have many plans for my home as funds allow . Here’s a dream kitchen below I love it !!!! Maybe I need a go fund me ‘replace Rebecca’s ugly kitchen’ hehe
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

But Becky, your dream kitchen doesn't even have your personality! Plus, think of all the time it would take to clean it!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Ted I appreciate all your support and advice and encouragement I read so many posts and designers almost always all want same thing (versions of that white kitchen usually subway) when my counters were called cluttered I call practical living, believe me if I had a walk in pantry I would hide more stuff but I also feel more comfortable with a lived in look. Cluttered is that fellow with his man cave / garage with the shoe wall did you see that post? God love him and his tolerant wife haha
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

No, I didn't see that post. I'll have to see if I can track it down..

And all these white kitchens.. no personality! Plus, people think that they are timeless. Well, they aren't as if you look back at a white kitchen to let's say the 1940's, that kitchen wouldn't be timeless because the cabinet style would be dated, as everything else in it. What is timeless is those kitchens that people have thought outside of the box and no one can figure out what decade it was installed.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh I gotta find it for you Ted it’s hilarious !!! Just saw it yesterday forget if in polls or what. Ok here’s a question my living room feels too brown thoughts on doing an accent colour on tv wall ?? I have a puppy dog cage is currently staying lol
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Awesome Kathy !!! Yes that one it made me laugh, and everdebz I was thinking teal for accent wall like colour below tall pieces display my nick nacks too empty with just tv just was trying to bring some colour in
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Ha- ha...we are back to the blue accent wall. Should we just cut to the chase and have you paint the room Assailable Beige-lol... kidding ( or not?) . But thinking about blue so comment later and will check out that dilemma shortly.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I know I like my blue Ted lmao no the living room hallway stairway is all functional grey so I am keeping that colour the accent wall now is a darker grey/ brown I love my teals lol
  • Pugga70
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Following.....

• R M
    5 years ago
    Becky......what did you decide to do ..
    Post photos
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RM I put pics within the thread of the kitchen colour, the living room colour I’m still debating... we just redid kitchen ceiling previous owner had wallpaper on the ceiling !!!!

Regarding cabinets I will be having more made where that wine bar is, thinking a pots and pans drawer. Would love all new cabinets but not in budget, cabinet company built the 3 over bar to match last year. The bedroom I’ve updated bye bye ugly wallpaper, and our bathroom will be next.
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RM I put pics within the thread of the kitchen colour, the living room colour I’m still debating... we just redid kitchen ceiling previous owner had wallpaper on the ceiling !!!!

Regarding cabinets I will be having more made where that wine bar is, thinking a pots and pans drawer. Would love all new cabinets but not in budget, cabinet company built the 3 over bar to match last year. The bedroom I’ve updated bye bye ugly wallpaper, and our bathroom will be next.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Looking good :) I haven't been ignoring you - at least not in my thoughts- as I've been thinking about the livingrm. Still haven't figured it out myself but I wasn't too concerned as I know you will. Though I was wondering painting the corner shelving units instead of the wall. Maybe distress them something like this?

Three Drawer Turquoise Chest · More Info

Cupboard 2 Drawer and 2 Door Accent Cabinet | Joss & Main · More Info

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

You have too much furniture in your living room and your TV is too big to go over the mantel.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh and the tv size is for my kids and boyfriend lol if I had a recroom I’d not have a big tv there apparently it’s ‘needed’ for sports??!! MEN lol
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

The puppy can't watch Animal Planet with the TV way up there. Move it to the side wall.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Gawd I can’t wait till she won’t chew 6 month old golden retriever she’s sweet as pie but likes chewing and no where else to put cage yup kinda spoiled... lol
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Goldens are fabulous dogs. I never met a golden that didn't have the most perfect disposition. As for the chewing...Scooby just turned two and he's still doing it. He's no longer allowed in my bedroom because I only have two pillows left and I need them both. ;-)