Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mundial_yoanna

Help with furniture layout in big living room with some challenges

y d
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello everyone,

I need some help determining what is the best layout for my living room. I really wanna create a space that highlights the big windows. I have a few pieces in but need your help on how to arrange them and what to buy. I'm not a TV person, so no need to consider space for a TV. Should I buy a large console for the large wall. Where should I place sofa and armchair, should I buy another arm chair. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!!! Happy to post a photo after once I'm done decorating the space.

Comments (12)

• y d
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Such wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much. Yes, it's a fireplace. I was trying to add several photos. I'm trying again. I really like your idea of buying a chaise lounge for the back wall and I console. I really like the look of this console, but such a pricy Console Also thinking of replacing the sofa with this and moving the old sofa to the basement family room. For the second arm chair you suggested do you think I should buy the same I have or should I buy a different kind.

More pics of the living room:

• PRO
    Joy Street Design
    5 years ago

Below we've included some ideas for you. If you stick to your current furniture we suggest getting a great rug, some wonderful art, side tables, a coffee table, and perhaps a console for the back wall. Below we've included a few of our designs with some ideas for rugs and artwork.

Florence Avenue: Living Room · More Info

Florence Avenue: Living Room · More Info

Gower Street: Living Room · More Info

Complete Home Renovation · More Info

y d thanked Joy Street Design
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    Hmm... I was going to suggest a more substantial sofa, but now that I see it would block the fireplace if you did that. I also think your couch adds a lovely bit of color. But I love the new couch you're considering, actually almost put it in my home. So it certainly wouldn't be a bad choice.
    Every good MCM living room begs for some leather, but I think youd be better served adding it as a bench under the window, or in the chaise.
    I would keep the same chair for the second, since you will already have a mismatch between couch, chairs, and corner chaise.
    That's obviously a beautiful console but you'll need to measure carefully. It looks pretty long at 80"- how long is your wall? You also don't want anything more than a few inches taller than your chaise. I would pick the chaise first and the console second so you can get the dimensions right.
    Here are some options for a bench for under the window, and a leather chair/chaise for the corner.
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

The leather couch you posted looks great from the front but it's much too deep for this narrow room, measuring 48 inches. 35 inches would be much better, and the same goes for chairs. It might be a good idea to go shopping for rugs first, and I would suggest Oriental rugs, which go well with modern or classic furniture. The patterns will distract the eye from the odd shape of this room and give the room the warmth and grounded feeling it needs. They would look great with large and colorful pieces of art, and the beauty of the outside will actually be enhanced by the beauty inside. I know this from personal experience.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but perhaps whitewashing or painting the fireplace might mitigate the odd proportions of this room somewhat.

y d thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Elle
    5 years ago
    Also, I like your metal sculpture peaking out above that bench. I think it would go great above your fireplace. You could replace it with this marble or mountain print- something a little larger. Here's some other canvases for above the couch toom
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I don't think you can fit two chairs like the one you have facing the fireplace.

You're going to need a lot of art to make this place sing. If you search for "graphic art" or "digital downloads" on etsy.com, you'll find a lot of great graphics that you print yourself (or have FedEx do it for a couple of dollars). Then all you need is the frames. Here are a few:

Printable Art Bible Verse Print Nursery Decor Map by ThePrintable · More Info

Printable Art and Wall Art Prints for Modern Decor by OhFinale · More Info

Mix & Match Modern Printable Art by MuseAlpha on Etsy · More Info

y d thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

This arrangement might work. Don't junk up your fireplace with little tchotchkes on the stones that jut out. Just leave them blank.

Here are a few rugs to try on:

y d thanked groveraxle
  • y d
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you so much for the insightful feedback. The room is 237 inches long by 168 wide. I love the ideas you have all provided. I'll definitely update this post as I make decisions. So many choices :) ElleN why is that the console has to be shorter than the chair? I love your idea of adding leather through the chair and ottoman and that marble piece its so great! ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thank you for nothing how deep the sofa is that definitely saved me some disappointment. groveraxle thank you so much for the renderings. All the art you picked its supper lovely, I think I will get some of it for sure.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    The console doesn't necessarily have to be shorter than the chair, but you want them to be in proportion to each other. If the console is next to the chair but towers over it, no one will want to sit in the chair, and the chair will look like it's too small for the space. Plus, lowering the console creates a nice side table to rest your book and a glass of wine on.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Your second picture didn't post. But the room is beautiful. You really didn't need our help at all.

• drdeb1234
    5 years ago
    Lovely!