Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexa_poindexter

Exterior House color - Blue gray?

Alexa Poindexter
5 years ago

We bought this house last fall and purchased it as a fixer upper. After a house fire caused by an improper repair done by a chimney company, our fixer upper timeline has hit lightning speed because of insurance requirements and deadlines. We have to paint the house this summer (besides the fact that it really needs it!) and I am struggling with choosing a color.

I light the idea of a darker blue color and white trim/windows. It's a classic look and with the brick on the house and the reddish roof, I think it will look nice. But choosing the right blue that doesn't make the place look like a giant blueberry AND or a dark and spooky house is driving me bananas.

We live in the country on a farm road. We're one of 6 houses around so I don't want to stick out too much (no blueberries) and we're in the Midwest if that gives anyone an idea of location and style. Garage door and front door will also be painted something different, so no need to match. Not a fan of powdery blues like that.

Here is the house as it is now, front and back.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My recommendation is not to paint the house blue. It is too personal and may not appeal to buyers.

The color of the driveway, IMO, needs to be included in your color scheme.. It is quite prominent and leads the eye right up to garage door. I suggest you paint all the trim and front door in cream and the body in a darker tone.

Paint in classic colors; colors with which the buyer can work.

• colonialgp
    5 years ago

Great opportunity to add some curb appeal. I suggest you buy a test pot of paint and put a large swath on the house to see how you like it. There is very little trim, partially due to only having two windows on the front. Not sure you'll get that much contrast with white trim, hence the test pot.

With the lack of windows on the front, you may want to upgrade your garage door to something with a little more character. Paint your front door a bright color so it can be seen from the street. You could further the curb appeal by widening the step to match the width of the porch, add more prominent house numbers that may be seen from the street, transplant the tree to a more suitable location, add low growing shrubbery to the front of the house. A couple of planters by the front porch will brighten the entry also.

Good luck.

garage · More Info

Garage Door Designs · More Info

Exterior - Front · More Info

Southampton · More Info

Ave A · More Info

Fisk Lake · More Info

• Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Blue is difficult. Agree with the pp that testing the blue on your home will be the best way to avoid a blueberry house color.

You need to see very large swaths of paint samples on the house or on a board you can move around to see on every side.

Attached are a couple of dark blues for you to get test samples. Some even have the brownish roof. You can match James Hardie siding colors too at the paint store by giving the name of the siding color if you choose that direction.

Marvin Ultimate Windows & Artisan James Hardie Siding Glencoe, IL · More Info
    ^This home has Evening Blue by James Hardie which can be matched by Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore to achieve this color. The advantage of using a color like this is you can go to a house with it locally (hopefully) to see what it looks like IRL.

MODELES · More Info
    ^No color specified, but this roof is similar to your roof (on this side of the monitor).
    Indianapolis Exterior Paint Project · More Info
    ^This one above is Sherwin Williams Slate Tile
    Ashton Heights Renovation · More Info
    ^No color name or number in the more info section
    Traditional Exterior · More Info
    ^No color name or number in the more info section
    Indianapolis Exterior Paint Project · More Info
    ^This one is SW Slate Tile

• Alexa Poindexter
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    For those interested or for those in the future with the same question. Before and after: SW Sea Serpent on House, SW Pure White on Trim and garage. So happy with how it turned out!