Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taniamelis

What can I put in this corner? I want to remove the rocking chair and

taniamelis
10 years ago
This bedroom has been a work in progress!

Comments (97)

• taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, definitely! I will need to wait for my husband to come home from work first since I'll be needing his help to move things around. It sounds like an interesting idea and I will post photos by this evening. There will be no bed directly under the ceiling fan by doing this... I live in south Florida and even with the air conditioning on, I do rely on my fan for that "inner heat" I have been having to deal with in aging :-( that's my big concern as well as how it will look but will post photos as soon as I can!!!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I forgot to ask...how large is your rug? Instead of hiding it under the bed, I would like to see it placed in the little seating area we create, so that it can be enjoyed there.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Raisa: I liked the last print more than the others, thank you!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Approx 10 1/2 ft x 7 1/2 ft (rug dimensions)
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cdrdesign: so just to understand better, the armoire pushed against the wall where the bed and nightstand are, correct?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think that rug will work in little seating area. Part might have to go under bed, but that is okay.

Oh, there are so many options for fans, including little personal ones you can attach to the side of your bed.

Do you have furniture sliders? Furniture is very easy to move with those.

Can't wait to see the new pictures!!!!!! Thanks for taking the effort.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have laminate floors which makes for easier moving but I can't attempt on my own (as much as I'd love to try to right now) due to a bad back (herniated disks) Can't wait to how it looks!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    "See"
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Understand totally!!
  • Cheryl
    10 years ago
    Okay so I saw this on Pinterest so it's not original but I think it would look great.
    Over the bed, put a very long, nice certain rod a few Inches from the ceiling. Put nice sheer curtains with a decorative valance on top for accent. If you make the window treatment longer than the width of the bed, That should give some character to the wall with the bed and detract from the emptiness if that corner. Still, some artwork on the walls goes a long way!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks cmartinez! I'll keep that in mind.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Also......I don't think you will need room divider. Just to start thinking ahead if you like arrangement:

-hamper, cable box and maybe even therapy ball can go between dresser and wall
    -art over bed
    -panel drapes on either side of window
    -mirror hung sideways over bench.
  • PRO
    Arts at Denver Gallery
    10 years ago
    A grouping of 2 or 3 smaller paintings would add a lot of visual interest to that corner, and be wonderful to wake up to! The right frames would help coordinate them with your furniture.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    cdrdesign: Funny, I was thinking the same (not needing the room divider) just need to wait and see how it all looks,husband wont be home for another 2 hours :-( I like your idea of the mirror too, this way I wouldn't have to get rid if it ! What do you mean by panel drapes on either side of window? We were eventually going to remove the verticals and install plantation shutters in white.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Arts at Denver Gallery: hadn't even thought about birds but I love it!!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Oh, okay I like the idea of plantation shutters. Then, no need for drapes. I thought if you were going to keep verticals, you could soften the room by adding stationary panels.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will be away for an hour or 2 but will be posting new photos this evening, ver excited about the new arrangement!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cdrdesign:,where are you located? Love your ideas!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I live in Missouri, but I do consultations on line as well. As you can see, it does work.
  • drn829
    10 years ago
    A mirror or art would be a great addition!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thinking of putting the armoire catty corner to the wall, any suggestions?
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also the mirror will be hung over the bench, not sure if the rug should be pulled out further?
  • joshanne528
    10 years ago
    A custom corner shelving unit would be nice and functional.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the last 2 photos, I know I need to add art work, that will come at the end.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the armoire placed catty corner, I think I prefer it this way instead of flat up against the wall next to the nightstand
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Armoire
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I love it!!!

Amoire----I think it is okay either way.

Move rug so that front feet of bench are on it. It will be partly under the cornered amoire. It will become part of the bench area, not the bed area. You may have to turn it sideways, so that long way is parallel with window. We will have to see which looks better.

Chair may have to go or you could replace bench with a chair and a table.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I moved the chair to the other end of the dresser It helps to hide the TV cables
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not crazy about moving the rug all the way over to the bench, what's wrong with it this way?
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    View from rocking chair (that's the mirror propped on the bench)
  • PRO
    Arts at Denver Gallery
    10 years ago
    I'm glad you liked the bird paintings. The chickadee has sold but the sparrow is available. This artist frequently paints birds so there are usually some in the works. Happy weekend!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Okay.....I see it doesn't fit in chair area. Under bed is best.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your great ideas, I love the way my room looks now and so does my husband!
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now to find some fabulous piece of art for over the bed and figure out which family photos I will frame to hang in other areas. I also love the idea of bird oil paintings as well, walls are very bare at the moment...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I am so glad you and hubbie like it.....you did a great job......so much more room in there!

Next step: tell us what your primary, secondary and minor colors are. I see blue walls and some red in the carpet.

Also....way too much stuff on amoire and dresser.

Amoire-recommend no photos. The plate collection or a few vases is all
    Dresser-tv only and maybe 2 tall vases to flank it. No flowers.

To the left when you enter: can you place a slim bookcase there to house photos?

Mirror: place blue painters tape on wall to depict shape of mirror. Do you like ti there?
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I has a feeling there was too much cluttering on top of the armoire and on the dresser. I like your idea of the bookcase, what color, wood or metal? We plan to frame some nice family photos. I have some black and whites of family on both sides dating back to the early 1900's. Also would like to include parents, kids and grandkids. Not sure if to frame them all in the same color frame (leaning towards white frames)
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My primary color is blue, secondary would be pine color (furniture) and I think the third color would be white. I want to throw in some touches of burgundy ( see flowers on rug)
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of the mirror hanging above the bench but plan to add either framed pics or paintings on both sides as well as possibly above the mirror...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I would put a table next to the chair, but no plant on it. I actually think it would be a nice place to sit and look out the window.

I had another idea.......I know you used the chair to cover up that stuff, but the chair looks lonely over there. We will find something esle to cover your stuff.

.....do you have 2 of those wicker chairs? You could put the two where the bench is and then I would move the bench out of the room to somewhere else. Or do you feel that would be too crowded?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Room colors:

Okay, I see the room is painted blue and you have a lot of gold going on in the pine and bedspread. Then there is the burgundy in the rug. Cream is another color in the rug.

So, we need to bring in more of that light blue and the burgundy.

Picture Frames:

I would not use white. Your older, sepia photos are not going to look good.

I am thinking you might choose a sort of aged gold wood frame. Then you could frame some in a cream color. Keep like frames together....maybe one shelf of cream, next shelf in gold frames.

Make sure the photo looks good with the frame.

Another choice is to use all black frames. Most photos look good in black frame. It sounds like the color does not go with your room, but as a whole, they will be seen as photos, not black accents.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good morning cdrdesign! Thank you for all of your great ideas! Regarding the chair, it's the only one I have, it used to belong to my grandmother (just like the lamps I have on the nightstands) big sentimental value, I could use the rocking chair in another room but was hoping to keep it in the bedroom. What about putting in some floating shelves on the wall behind the rocker? I could put some of the small framed photos on the shelves to de clutter the dresser. What do you feel about floating shelves if not there, elsewhere in the room? I also love wall sconces...
    Loved your frame color ideas, I would have thought of using white frames but you're right, had never thought about the older, sepia photos. The larger framed photos will be a big project, now we have to decide which ones we want to frame, where to put them and how to group them, lots of work cut out but you have been so helpful, our room looks huge! :-)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Rocker and bench. I think like you had it....rocker by window is fine.....just offering another option.

I would put all photos together.....not chopped up around the room. Floating shelves are fine, but I will tell you it is a harder project. You have to really plan it out well. A shallow bookcase would offer more flexibility to arrange both now and down the road.

Really glad you like the room. It looks great!

Large piece of art over bed.....do you already have something in another room?
    small photos on sidestands moved to group with other photos.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    You don't need wall sconces. Is there a purpose? Just more culler
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, I will be on the look out for a shallow bookcase, any suggestions on style, color, where to look for it?
    No I don't have anything as of yet to put over the bed. We will be taking our time to look for just the right piece, I like the idea of a large oil painting but am open to anything that looks interesting (creating a focal point)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    ebay, craig's list, target tj maxi for something less expensive. original art: etsy.com
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Please post updates and we can continue to help.

You have a lot of hard wood surfaces in the room all of the same shade: furniture, as well as floors. So, for the bookcase, it would get something light visually, maybe glass with wicker to play off your Grandma's chair.

Also, I would suggest some patterns in your fabric. For the bench and chair, get patterned pillows with blue and a touch of that burgundy.....for the bed also.
  • tdawg722
    10 years ago
    Have you thought about turning some photos into gallery-wrapped canvases? I know Walgreens photo does it in a variety of sizes.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    cdrdesign: Yes, I definitely will, thanks again for your wisdom! My family that came over today were super impressed and couldn't get over what a big difference the changes made. My very crafty sister has made me some throw pillows with touches of burgundy in it (I will have to wait until she comes to visit in 2 weeks before I can take pics and post here) Love your bookcase suggestion, I'll be on the look out for one that fits your description. If not, I was planning on buying a white one and painting it in the same shade of blue as the nightstands.
    It's not showing here but they are a grayish blue.
  • taniamelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    tdawg: great idea about the photos, I know that Costco here in Miami also does it.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Oh, I did not notice that nigtstands were a diff shade than the other furntiure. Hard to see on photos. That is a great idea to paint bookcase same color as nightstands.

Yes, would love to continue to see updates even if in 2 weeks.