Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6069237

What to do with old closet in master bedroom

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are in the early stages of adding on a master bathroom and closet and I was curious if anyone had any ideas on what to do with the existing double door closet (outlined in red). It sits between a small linen closet and a double door closet for the adjacent bedroom. I'd love to add more usable space to the master bedroom but I feel like opening up that closet would look awkward. Plus we have hardwood floors that we would prefer not to do anything to. If push comes to shove we'll just close it up, but I'd love to maximize every bit of space we have since it's a fairly small bedroom. Any ideas?

Comments (13)

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

by the way, having to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet seems tedious. rethink on that?

• PRO
    Style Align
    5 years ago

I would close it from the hall and open in the bedroom and options

1) create a coffee nook with cabs below for extra storage, bottles of water for coffee tea..maybe a small fridge.

2) create a reading nook with built in bench

3) built in make up area

4) closet for hats, bags, belts and shoes

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I would add it to the other bedroom. Also, consider adding the closet door to the bedroom, not the bathroom. It makes it easier for two people to get ready, plus it means your clothing won't be constantly introduced to moisture.

• bkeithaz
    5 years ago

FALSE CREEK CONDO · More Info

You could do a lot with that space. I have an opened-up closet in the second bedroom of a house I recently purchased. Not sure how I will finish it off when I'm actually living in the house, but here it is in its present state, along with a couple of other examples.

• bkeithaz
    5 years ago

Fort Lee - Model Apartment - Classic Modern · More Info

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    First impression I would have the extra closet open to the other bedroom. Regarding the master closet, to each their own. I have my master closet off the bath so I don’t have so many doors in the bedroom and gave me a better wall for furniture.
  • annettea
    5 years ago
    I like the pictures just above. I did an addition like yours once and placed our dresser in the alcove.
    As to the comments about accessing your closet through the bathroom...I prefer that setup when both partners don’t keep the same hours. Close one door and get completely ready without going back and forth through the bedroom. And I’ve never had a moisture problem with clothes due to proximity to the bath.
  • Dan
    5 years ago

My $0.02?

1) Add another closet to BR 1, especially if it is for your daughter.

2) Love the coffee nook idea, expand it to a beverage center with a small fridge for wine. Perfect way to wake up and wind down.

3) Storage nook for purses.

4) Split it with BR1 and use it for storage nook/closet for coats, long dresses.

5) Cigar storage.

6) Glass doors for your knick knacks and paddy whacks (what is a paddy whack anyways?)

7) Wine storage.

8) Concealed Storage.

9) Did I mention Cigar Storage? Good place for Bourbon as well.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

If not opened to the other bedroom, I would have it accessible behind the coats and use it to store holiday decorations.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback! I think I'm going to try and open it up on the other side. As for the bathroom door, the room is pretty small and having two doors on that side of it would eat up a lot of space. At one point I had a piece of furniture against the wall but it felt really cluttered to me and I think a door there would feel the same way. I should also mention we have two dogs that take up a good bit of space too. Gotta leave room for my fur babies! Thanks again!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

That other bedroom could use a bigger closet , open it up to that space.

• Dan
    5 years ago

Don't worry about going through one room to get to the other. In my case, we went through the master closet to get to the master bath. We had added a 2 story addition so that we could get a bigger master bath and more closet space and I could get a third stall garage.

We ended up with a huge walk-in closet. 12' wide by 14' long and gained 12' wide by 8' deep of bath space. The closet could be a nursery if needed.

Sadly, we got divorced soon after we completed the reno, and neither of us could afford to keep it. The new family that bought it loved the house and the work we did.