Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mintcar123

vanilla strawberry vs. zinfin doll

mintcar123
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the difference between vanilla strawberry and zinfin doll? I know that they are both paniculatas but they seem very similar to me...Also, which one has stronger stems?

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

They ARE very similar :-) Planted side by side, I doubt anyone could tell them apart!! But then that seems to be somewhat normal for many new introductions...and not just with hydrangeas........there is very little to distinguish many of the newer cultivars from those already on the market.

Since they are both patented introductions, there must be something that distinguishes one from the other but whatever it is, it is not obvious :-) Parentage is different but appearance not so much so.

mintcar123 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • luis_pr
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Based on the ads' pictures only because I too do not have both of them, ZF displays lighter pink blooms while VS in pictures displays a magenta shade of pink. Unfortunately, those same pictures of the bushes are too far away to compare the blooms themselves. Some paniculatas for example have more lacy type of blooms. ZF originated from Little Lamb and VS from Unique.

mintcar123 thanked luis_pr
  • pennlake
    5 years ago

The fact that the USPTO allowed the Zinfin Doll patent be issued without comparing this new plant to both Vanilla Strawberry and Strawberry Sundae illustrates the problem with the USPP system. The concept of minimum distance seems to not be recognized. They compare Zinfinin doll to Limelight which really has nothing to do with this plant given that the VS and SS patents were issued well before the application for Zinfin Doll.

mintcar123 thanked pennlake
  • pcorn60
    4 years ago

Does ZF droop like VS?

• guyground
    4 years ago

It’s hard for me to say for sure because I haven’t had it long enough, but ZF seems to grow more symmetrical, like a bush. The stems seem pretty stiff so doubt will be droopy. That being said most of the reviews of ZF are mixed at best. mine will need more time to grow before I can make my Determination.

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

The ZF blooms I saw at a local plant nursery were not as floppy looking as VS blooms so I would rate it less floppier but not stiff. So given the proper "conditions" (fully developed blooms and a heavy downpour from a rain storm), yes, it will flop. But until the blooms are fully developed or until the downpour strikes, it may look "ok".

• Shaanti Sri
    3 years ago

Will the Zinfin give the pink color in Atlanta..I'm in zone 7b and my site is between 2 bushes..NW..sun form 2 till it sets but it's by the side of house as opposed to being in middle of yard with our full hot sun..I don't want the flowers turning brown but want the pink color.

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Unfortunately, you may just have to try and see. Typical summer temps when I lived in Atlanta were ok but July-Aug would sometimes tend to get to the 100s. So, I would go to the Botanical Gardens on Piedmont Avenue to see if they have Zinfin Doll and under what sunlight conditions. In places where summer temperatures get quite hot, the blooms suffer and prematurely turn brown from white. Vanilla Strawberry does this down here. Rarely it gets pinks. If you test it, allow it to grow a large root system before deciding... so it can absorb lots of water. First-year plants do not have an extensive root system, so that does not help.

• hyed
    3 years ago

Vanilla strawberry , 10’ starting to turn pink with the cooler nights

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths