Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlylakegirl

Opinion/help/advice - exterior color

Beverly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you in advance for any opinions/help/advice given. I recently purchased a new build and did not have a say in the color of the windows and garage door. The garage door is a color called "terra bronze" and I would say in person it looks like a brown/gray. The windows are "terratone" and lean towards a true brown. There is shaker siding on the peaks above the garage doors and on the bump out in the front of the house. It is common in the area to paint the shaker siding a contrasting color to the horizontal siding. I do not want a dark colored house, but would that look best to match the horizontal siding color to the garage door? I think SW Tony Taupe would look good next to the garage door (but that's the opposite of matching) and then SW Accessible Beige on the shaker siding. Thoughts?

Garage Door

Windows

Comments (8)

• tatts
    5 years ago

It's not 'shaker siding' it's 'shake siding'. shake=shingle Shaker is a style.

I think I'd leave it as is. If you paint the clapboards the same color as the garage doors, it will look like there's nothing but garage. It already verges on looking like that because of that stupid garage jutting out from the front, stealing pride of place from the house.

It's beyond me why anyone would make the garage the primary feature of a home.

• Beverly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The house is currently not painted -- the siding you see there is unpainted. I thank you for your advice.

• Carolyn
    5 years ago
    Since it looks like the garage is the main attraction, I would paint it the same color as the siding so it blends in. I would add color to the front door, shade of red or blue) and landscape the left side of the yard so now the main attraction is now on the house. After those changes are made you can decide if you need to do anything else or it looks great to you now. Best of luck!
  • emmarene9
    5 years ago

When houses have stone it is common to use a color from one of the stones.

Beverly thanked emmarene9
  • Carolyn
    5 years ago

I misunderstood that it is unpainted right now and you do have some options such as do you want to keep the garage door that color because if you do the house will need to be dark color to try to offset the attention the doors are commanding. I also agree with the poster above that the color will need to come from the stonework.

• Kim
    5 years ago

I think that the garage color looks nice with the brick and stone. I don't care for the color of the shake siding- it looks sort of yellow. I would paint that. The color that saypoint suggested (Accessible Beige) might look nice and keep your home from being too dark. Good luck!

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I would pick one of the lightest shades from the brick for the siding. Accessible Beige looks nice, but monitors aren't reliable. Also, you can post a closeup of your brick on Sherwin Wms' site for color possibilities.

In time you might think about garage doors with windows across the top. It can be a little more interesting and help break up a wall of garage door.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm