Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elena_nuta

quartz countertop questions

Elena Nuta
5 years ago
I know there are tons of these kinds of questions on here, but I hope some of you experts weigh in here.

1) What are your thoughts on this seam? When you look closely it's actually a very thin line, but I don't understand why it looks like a grey line... does that have to do with the cutting process?

2) The island countertop feels tippy... it is 3cm thick with mitered edges to look like 6cm, with 12" overhang and we were told it doesn't need additional support. But if you bear down on the overhang, you can see the other end lift off slightly. Is it just the silicone holding it back from overturning?

3) The undermount sink is not attached a the mounting brackets provided by with the sink... The installer says he never uses those and just the silicone (or epoxy?) is sufficient. This makes me very nervous. Is this typical?

4) There is a thin piece of countertop being the slide-in stove. One of the joints failed twice when he was installing it, and I noticed after they left that the other one is cracked as well. I will be calling them back to fix that, but I wonder what is the actual issue? Is the joint too thick? Is the piece not properly supported (it's essentially not supported at all)? Any recommendations on how to improve this?

5) There are spots under the countertop that are not contacting the cabinet and I think should have shims... these are Ikea cabinets so already the locations where the countertop could be supported are limited. What is standard practice for this?

Thanks for your input!!

Comments (53)

• nanj
    5 years ago

Attached is a photo of a-few-years-down-the-road result of: "the undermount sink is not attached a the mounting brackets provided by with the sink... The installer says he never uses those and just the silicone (or epoxy?) is sufficient. "

Uh, yeah, be nervous!

If you look closely on the left side, you see some remaining blocks where the installer blobbed a glob of epoxy and stuck it to the side of the sink.

It may hold for a while but maybe some time when you fill the sink with water, it won't......

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There is no LOL IN THIS. Get/wedge SOME sort of temporary prop, even a 2 x4 under that overhang before it breaks right off and ruins the leg and foot on a dear HUMAN.. Like one of your kids. Then get on the "horn."........!! To the contractor, cabinet installer, fabricator. We are talking UN SAFE, in any kitchen, anywhere.

This spells PROBLEM below: Seams?? hahahhahaha

"The island countertop feels tippy... it is 3cm thick with mitered edges
    to look like 6cm, with 12" overhang and we were told it doesn't need
    additional support. But if you bear down on the overhang, you can see the other end lift off slightly"

I need a drink........a big one.

• User
    5 years ago

Your GC is a complete idjut. So is your so called KD. This is their failure to design correctly.

Ooh, but it has some flashy rims!

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the reply, Jan.

The manufacturer instructions say 12" overhang does not require support. I don't think there's a risk of the top breaking, but toppling over of the whole countertop. The cabinets are very securely fastened to the floor and subfloor, so it wouldn't be the whole island tipping over, it would be just the countertop. The installer says the silicone is very strong, but I guess I'm hoping some installers chime in to validate this claim or set me straight.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Oh. It would be JUST the counter top, not the entire ISLAND , No biggie.!!! You. can. not. be. serious. I hope your fabricator has fabulous insurance. Do you have ANY idea what this stuff weighs??? It won't "all" topple . It will crack at 12 x whatever long, fall to the floor and land on a foot. Or a little kid. It is unstable as installed. Counter tops do not jiggle or feel tippy. Period. They do not BEND. They break.

• User
    5 years ago

The MIA rule of cantilever is being violated. As are lots of others. Not just the counters. Your GC and your KD are pretty lacking in some darn basic knowledge.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sorry Jan I just now saw your full first reply, so I will reply now:

The cabinetry is quite level, only minimal shimming was required (less than 1/8") in a few places. nothing is ever perfect so I don't believe this is cause for alarm. My concern is that it wasn't shimmed to make contact everywhere possible.

The island isn't actually wobbly, it takes quite a lot of force on the overhang to see the movement at the other end. but nonetheless, I agree it doesn't seem right. Are countertops ever anchored to the cabinetry?

I take issue with your statement that Ikea cabinets are not"deserving" of a mitered top. I'm quite sure they are sufficiently strong. The mitered edge does not add very much weight. If you just mean Ikea cabinets are generally crappy, then I disagree with that as well. I am very happy with the overall look of the kitchen and especially the island. But moving on...

I don't want to start slandering the fabricator/installer just yet. I am looking for some information before I get back to them and give them a chance to fix the issues.
  • Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jan the"lol" was because houzz originally only showed me the first line of your comment, which was "the seam the least of the problem". I am looking for solutions/suggestions, so I appreciate your input.
  • Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sophie, it would be much appreciated if you could elaborate.
  • User
    5 years ago

Surely you understand the principle of a cantilever. Operable word being lever. The island is incorrectly designed and built. The GC lacked the knowledge base to integrate all of the elements together, or to correct the poor design.

https://www.naturalstoneinstitute.org/default/assets/File/consumers/homeownersconsumer_countertop.pdf

• Jeff G
    5 years ago

I think I can summarize: if you see a countertop move when you apply force you have a serious problem.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I fully understand cantilevers. I also know the flexural strength of quartz (40 MPa as per the Vicostone tech specs) is much higher than that of natural stone (granite is highest at about 10MPa). So I'm more than certain that the overhang on my island is not in danger of breaking off. My question remains, are countertops ever anchored to the cabinetry?

from your document: "In designs
    where the countertop is cantilevered or
    overhanging the supports, the cantilever shall
    be limited to 6" (150 mm) for ¾" (20 mm)
    thick countertops and 10” (250 mm) for 1¼"
    (30 mm) countertops, but in no case may the
    cantilevered portion represent more than
    1/3 of the width of the countertop."

And that is for natural stone. So I do fail to see how you arrive at your conclusion.
  • Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I agree, Timmy.
  • Jeff G
    5 years ago

Elena - by “anchored” you mean by something other than epoxy/adhesive?just trying to make sure folks aren’t talking past each other.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Timmy, yes, i mean something like L-brackets. I know silicone adhesive is very strong, but it's between rough lumber (that was used to raise the cabinets to accommodate the mitre) and the counter top underside. Adhesive is only as good as the material it is applied to, and I guess i don't think the rough lumber is a good base?

indigoheaven, I fully intend to get this addressed, but unfortunately i do feel that the point of my original post was missed and the whole thread was hijacked for this tangent about countertop overhangs. And now I am left in almost the same position where i don't know how much of my other concerns need to be addressed. I know the island is an issue and will certainly get that fixed. But everything else?

• User
    5 years ago

The 2/3 1/3 cantilever is applicable for all counters. This is about weight, the pivot point, and the tipping force applied. Flexural strength is irrelevant to the applied forces of a pivot. You have a seesaw, with one end unbalanced. Every single Pro involved should know what happens when you have an unbalanced see saw. Starting with your KD. GC second in that chain. The countertop people are a distant third, as they aren’t designing your kitchen.

Please show a picture from the other direction, and the front view. What methodology was used to compensate for the build up thickness?

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sophie, the overhang is 12" and the width of the island countertop is 37", so the 1/3 rule is fine. Also, as mentioned, the manufacturer approves unsupported overhang of 12".

The installer used ripped down rough lumber to raise the top of the cabinets. I would have preferred to have plywood under the whole thing, and I might insist on that now.

• indigoheaven
    5 years ago

I think it would be helpful if you could post more photos.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"1) What are your thoughts on this seam? When you look closely it's actually a very thin line, but I don't understand why it looks like a grey line... does that have to do with the cutting process? "

No. Your seam adhesive was mixed on site, probably by a man who statistically is 16 times more likely to be color blind than a woman (It's genetics, not sexism). In the lighter colors, installers need to use factory specified adhesive. I'm really good at this and I order factory for these situations.

"2) The island countertop feels tippy... it is 3cm thick with mitered edges to look like 6cm, with 12" overhang and we were told it doesn't need additional support. But if you bear down on the overhang, you can see the other end lift off slightly. Is it just the silicone holding it back from overturning?"

Could be. If your installer and his crew can't dance a Conga line across your cantilever, it ain't right.

"3) The undermount sink is not attached a the mounting brackets provided by with the sink... The installer says he never uses those and just the silicone (or epoxy?) is sufficient. This makes me very nervous. Is this typical?"

No, it is not typical. Your sink is coming down, I promise. All undermounted sinks must be mechanically fastened, with the exception of Karran Edge series. Strapped is better than clipped. The fact that your fabricator said this proves he is an idiot. You may tell him I said so.

"4) There is a thin piece of countertop being the slide-in stove. One of the joints failed twice when he was installing it, and I noticed after they left that the other one is cracked as well. I will be calling them back to fix that, but I wonder what is the actual issue? Is the joint too thick? Is the piece not properly supported (it's essentially not supported at all)? Any recommendations on how to improve this?"

This is too small to be hard seamed. Better to have a soft more conspicuous joint than a failed hard one. The seams behind my slide-in range are soft.

"5) There are spots under the countertop that are not contacting the cabinet and I think should have shims... these are Ikea cabinets so already the locations where the countertop could be supported are limited. What is standard practice for this?"

Don't span more than 24" without shim support, please.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much, Joe! One thing's for sure, don't look forward to the discussion with the installer... The sink talk we had already was a bit ridiculous, and he actually threw the provided mounting brackets in the garbage! I had to go and fish them out :/

What is a soft joint? just silicone?
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Quick question. Are you planning on adding legs to the island to support that top heavy looking counter? I'll leave all the schematics of why this is done incorrectly to the pros but I must say visually that island looks completely out of proportion. Maybe if you add some legs to the over hang part it will help support the slab and help it not feel so "tippy", which by the way would scare the cotton pickin lights out of me, while also help it look more proportioned. It might be a win win.

• beagle1
    5 years ago
    The seam looks odd to me. None of the seams in my quartz are completely straight at a 90 degree angle like that. They are near a corner but they curve as come toward the front of the cupboards and are practically invisible.
  • Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I suppose tippy might be have been the wrong word... but the rest of my description was accurate.

Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice or maybe it's personal preference, but I love the look of the island as it is. There are no legs planned.

attached another photo of the island, as well as the island underside showing the cabinet build-up, and one showing the sink support (I forgot to mention the wooden supports that he said are better than the mechanical fasteners...)
  • Jennifer Dube
    5 years ago

Our quartz topped island has 3 L brackets. I don't have a tape measure handy but pretty sure our overhang isn't 12 inches. Maybe 10? I would never stand on it but I probably could. No tippy or any movement whatsoever. There is also a sink in the island. One of the brackets is at the sink.

*okay hubby just said he's stood on our counter to clean our pendants! He's done it once or twice! He's way taller/weighs a lot more than I do. He says he doesn't like doing it as he fears the countertop will crack at the seam (ours has a seam right in the center at the sink which is in the center. It held his weight.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Our island has angled support (invisible now that counter is on) you can see it in this pre counter cabinet installation.

New Home · More Info
    and with counter no support can be seen. On yours I don't see any support on your overhang. The build up of plywood above the cabinet won't help the over hang.
    New Home · More Info

Maybe something like that would give you added support on the overhang? Since you have the deep lip on your counter it could hide it.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pink Peony, your kitchen is beautiful!
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Did you pay this fool?!?!
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Thank You Elena Nuta. What color is your island? We almost went with a navy island.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    felizlady, unfortunately yes.... I'm hoping he will be decent enough to come back.

Isand is champion cobalt by Benjamin moore. it's quite blue and not navy, but I haven't been able to get a good photo of the true color yet.
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Elena Nuta I love the color. Obviously I am a blue person :-). Your wood is very similar to mine. I love it on the angle!

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Elena, your IKEA cabs and colors look fabulous! Great design!

Hoping you get some answers and resolution, as everyone seems to think what the GC/KD designed isn't sufficient. I'd say so too if anything seems wobbly.... Good luck! Hopefully others will chime in when they see the underneath.... To me it just looks choppy, not fastened properly underneath....

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pink Peony, what color is your Island?

I need to constantly stop myself from getting more and more blue things... it's quite a problem!

about the hardwood, yea the diagonal installation really adds another dimension to the space, I'm really pleased with how that turned out.

Laura, thank you! I think I've got a good handle on what needs to be done, just hope it won't be too much of a fight.
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Elena Nuta its SW Interesting Aqua. I hear you on the blue obsession!

We've been building our home for over a year now with a builder that has been really difficult. Lots and lots of errors and a 7 month late delivery. Word of advice.......don't assume there will be a battle. Don't ask if they will fix the issues, it is their responsibility to. Be matter of fact and Stay calm. Take emotion out of it (hard I know).

I did my bathroom tile floor in a pattern and I love it. I agree it adds so much interest.

• User
    5 years ago

construction · More Info

construction · More Info

construction · More Info

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"What is a soft joint? just silicone?"

Yes.

Elena:

After having seen his wood-blocks-spanning-the-flange-and-stone-bottom sink attachment method, I absolutely promise your sink is coming down. In fact the sooner it fails the better, because it's going to leak which can create more problems (rusting hinges, exploding rods), but mostly because leaks are horribly unsanitary. When your sink eventually fails, there will be a ring of brown crud covering the sink flange. If I haven't seen all this literally a hundred times, I will throw all my tools off the Sunshine Skyway bridge here in Florida and follow them over.

At 3cm thickness, your island cantilever needs no additional support.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks, Sophie, I have seen that before and I did ask about it beforehand but the guy convinced me this was a good way to do it. I wish I had insisted on it.

This is quite disappointing because I specifically did not go with the lowest price thinking that if I pay more I will get better quality. I also went with a local small business, patting myself on the back for supporting the little guy. I had read so many posts about countertop install issues and I can't believe I'm now in that same boat.

Joseph,
    Thanks again for your response. I think the sink itself was epoxied to the stone and the wood blocks are "extra" lol. But yes, terrible all around.

Maybe the island just needs more silicone? It should not be moving even a little bit when I lean on it. He only applied a bead of silicone around the lumber supports after he positioned the countertop, i.e. he didn't put silicone down and then lift the countertop on top of that.
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Can the 'little guy' come back and fix his mistakes? LOL. How long has he been in business? Sorry you are dealing with this....

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    They've been in business for 20 years I think. It's a family business (wife and husband duo plus a few extra hands). They seemed totally legit, he seemed to know what he was taking about, and he was one of the few who didn't try to sell me on a laminated edge (I was pretty set on mitered edge because I wanted the veining to carry down the side).
  • User
    5 years ago

I disagree strongly with Joe on not needing additional support. The countertop itself is telling you that it needs additional support. Invisible support could have been easily achieved with a built up edge. And should have been designed into the assembly from the beginning.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Sophie, I agree with you. My answer was correct, but unclear. 3cm does not need additional support to cantilever 12", however, that does not address the OP's wriggling issue. Pulling the top, removing the plywood, and replacing it with square tube steel or aluminum that is screwed to the cabinets, extends over the cantilever, and hidden by the edge build up will solve the problem permanently and safely when the top is siliconed to the square tube. Thanks.

• discoveryspecialist
    5 years ago
    you are supposed to have support brackets for any overhang over 10 inches.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

incorrect, discoveryspecialist. That is the standard for 3cm natural stone. We are talking about 3cm engineered stone which because of it's 35% resin content, has much more flexural strength than natural stone and can be cantilevered up to 15" without additional support. That's not only my opinion, it's the opinion of the estone manufacturers.

With a 4" wide, 8' long backsplash lying on the flat next to you, one natural stone and one estone, pick up each in the center. The natural stone splash will snap about 4" off the floor, the estone will not.

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hi all, the installer came by yesterday, here is my "resolution":

island - added a crap ton more silicone between the countertop and the supports

cracked joints at back of stove - "fixed" them using something very liquid-ey... I was very disappointed/surprised that he didn't take the piece out and clean the joints and start fresh. Said it's not necessary.

sink - he absolutely refused to drill in for the mechanical anchors. Says that none of his sink installs have ever failed. Said that he considers drilling for the anchors to be damaging the countertops.

shimming - he added a few shims and a bunch of silicone

seam - was not willing to discuss much at all. I asked what color he used. Said he used the recommended color Integra epoxy, but wasn't sure which one it was, maybe Charcoal. At this point I pulled up the Integra spec and showed him that my countertop requires Snow White. He tried to backtrack and said he doesn't remember the name but that it was the right one. Sure.

I'm not happy with most of what happened here, but I'm most upset about the sink and the seam. I know the main concern on this thread has been the island but I feel okay about that. Since I've already paid, I'm not sure how to proceed. I could take to social media and posting reviews, but I think that would just make me feel guilty.

I will call around to get a quote for installing the sink properly and then try to talk to the installer again.

thanks everyone for your input, it's been very helpful!
  • billvl
    5 years ago
    If the flexural strength is 40MPa as OP notes, then at 3cm thick, 2m long and a 12” (30cm) overhang, the counter could support a static load of 40000N or around 4000kg. Considering it would fail from an impact (someone jumping on it) I would estimate a tenth of that to be safe, which is a 400kg gorilla jumping on the counter. So yes, Joseph is absolutely right that 12” overhang is perfectly fine.

Let’s also not forget OP mentioned the manufacturer approves up to 12” overhang without additional support which is the ONLY thing that matters. Manufacturers suggestions/requirements should be taken as gospel unless you hire an engineer to approve otherwise.

I suggest people who don’t have the knowledge themselves and are just parroting what they’ve heard other people say, keep their comments to themselves (or make sure it’s clear it’s only what you’ve been told). Spreading misinformation is a true disservice.
  • pdjh
    5 years ago
    We have almost completed our kitchen renovation and were told the same as Joe’s info: a max 12” overhang for quartz without additional supports is fine. Depends on the size of your island, peninsula, etc. This is what we were told by the stone yard, manufacturer, and the independent guy who did our templating. So, we have a 12” overhang, no additional supports, and it does not budge. Our undermount sink is supported by wood though. No support for the sink would make me worry. I think your seam looks fine, they just used too dark a colour in the seam. Perhaps there’s a product that could be used over it to lighten it up?
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

I agree with Sophie that the island looks unbalanced. The visual weight of a 6cm counter jutting out 12 inches from a narrow island is not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I actually think that some columns at the corner similar to the other blue island posted about would help it appear as a more balanced design.

If it were me I would carefully document every problem, as well as making videos of the "bending" etc and consider contacting outside agencies (BBB, states attorney general) and as a last resort small claims court if the installer doesn't come and remove the entire countertop and start over. The seam needs to be matched correctly, the sink and range issues must be corrected, the island should be properly supported *just to be sure* with the hidden brackets. You may want to pay a local pro to come in and document all the irreconcilable issues with the current install if you have problems with the current installer agreeing to make it right.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"Our undermount sink is supported by wood though. No support for the sink would make me worry."

How is your sink supported specifically?

• Elena Nuta
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I will try to find something to lighten the seam... any recommendations?

fidlfreek, I love the look of my island. It's not a huge kitchen and I think feet on the island will look like too much. And yes I realize several people here think the mitered edge is already too much lol

I am not prepared to take the actions you suggest. I have neither the time nor the tenacity. I actually even feel bad to give a negative review online :(
  • HU-711755416
    2 years ago

I'm looking for help:

we are in the process of having out quartz countertops installed. The installer emailed me the layout and how the seam would look with the veining we went back and forth a couple of times until I had a layout I liked. I know it's impossible to line the veins up perfectly, but I felt we had a pretty good look to it. The installers showed up with the slabs to be installed and they were not cut according to the approved layout. My question is, is this normal and what are my options? The guys installing were great, they stopped and said they would be back when we get it figured out.

Thanks for you help

Kevin B.