Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_scattoreggio

c2 paint matches in Sherwin Williams paint

I have an Amish Cabinetmaker making my kitchen Cabinets. He uses a local painter who uses his own paint and matches Sherwin Williams paint. The designer chose C2 WHistler White, but it's too cool/blue for a north kitchen... I like Simply White by Ben Moore. What comes close to that in SW?

Also, the cabinetmaker says they spray paint and then spray lacquer the cabinets. Should I allow them to lacquer the cabinets?

Comments (10)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You need to run like hell from that setup. You don’t paint cabinets. And you certainly do not put lacquer over paint. Ever.

Any cabinet maker that doesn’t finish his product is a hack woodworker. Not a cabinet maker. Period. A cabinet maker delivers a fully completed, fulky finished, fully installable, fully custom product into your home, and then installs it.

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked User
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

The best finish is a post-catalyzed conversion varnish. It is a very durable finish. All of the woodwork in my house is SW Pure White, so my new kitchen is also that color. It is an understated softer white. This may be of help.

conversion-varnish-advantages-over-lacquer

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked wilson853
  • Marilyn Scattoreggio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you both for your advice. I'm a little confused though, Ms. Wheeler. Painted cabinets are everywhere... Did you mean with a brush? The painter is going to spray paint. However I'm thinking of having the cabinets done by a painter near me... A few more questions would really help us out.

1-How much would that cost for an average kitchen? Approximately.

2-If paint made especially for cabinets was used, would a need a varnish?

3-The painter the cabinet maker uses says he can match any SW paint. I like Simply White, but nothing in SW comes close. If I paint a board with Simply White could he go by that?

The cabinetmaker has no phone and we communicate by letter, or driving 2 hours... so it's impossible for us to get quick answers. We need to save money and our kitchen is horrible! The contractor used this cabinetmaker for his kitchen and brought us over to see it--he did a good job. I just want to be sure the color and finish is something I want.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Professionally finished cabinets are done in an opaque conversion varnish. Calling that “paint” is like calling your kids go kart an Indy car. Yeah, the’re both open wheel vehicles. No further similarities exist.

If this guy doesn’t finish his products in house, with a conversion varnish, you don’t need to use him. Period. Your contractor is a hack by extension of even recommending this route.

Professionally Finishing cabinets is 40-60% of the total cost of the cabinets. In other words, what you paid for the cabinets, get ready to write that same check to a pro finisher. Properly Finishing is just as much work as making them. Or more, if you want paint and glaze.

Average for a standard 12x12 kitchen, redo, is 7-9K. Bigger kitchens are more. Taller cabinets are more. More details are more. Glazed are more. Islands are always more. Custom colors are more. And that’s with the doors done off site in a clean room, as they should be.

All brand new cabinets should be coated in a clean room with a conversion varnish, by the maker, or his specialty finisher.

See why I say he is a hack woodworker? A true custom cabinet maker controls the entire process, from lumber purchase through the installation in your home. He doesn’t allow some hack housepainter with a spray gun to ruin all his hard work.

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked User
  • paintguy22
    5 years ago

You probably misunderstood their process. Make sure you get some clarity on exactly what they are using.

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked paintguy22
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

SW is common so he says he can match those but it's likely he can match your color also. If you go for a meet get a quart and give him a portion(buy a pint can) to match for the sample you're going to ask for. Those little cards aren't as good.

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked dan1888
  • Marilyn Scattoreggio
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This has been a real education. Thanks to all of you. I'm going to look at some other options...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

FYI I have never had any luck matching C2 colors from any other maker they are very specific and I use them almost exclusivly. As for using them for cabinets, not . If you are getting a cabinet refinisher not a house painter then ask the proper questions as listed above before anyone touches the finish on those cabinets.

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Faron79
    5 years ago

I've been tinting C2 paint for 16+ years. They have a VERY good Cabinet & Trim Satin-sheen paint, & just came out with a S/G version.

Hardly ANYBODY knows about FPE. I've used some. It's STUPID good. Cheap.....NO. Don't ask. Just use it.

Faron

Marilyn Scattoreggio thanked Faron79