Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

Thinning hair anyone?

Arapaho-Rd
5 years ago

I've noticed it and am wondering if anyone has found something that helps? Just read an article that says no direct correlation btw menopause and hair loss in women but that's when it started. Not interested in Rogaine or the likes. Not sure how much help my dermatologist will be either.

Comments (16)

• girlnamedgalez8a
    5 years ago

Mine also began about the same time that menopause started. It has been going on for a few years now for me. Fortunately for me, I had very thick hair before menopause. Now my hair is about average.

Arapaho-Rd thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • Sueb20
    5 years ago

Yup. Ditto, had surgery that brought on menopause and just the front of my hair (like my bangs) is affected (or maybe I have a bald spot in back that I can't see! LOL). One thing that helps is a shorter haircut. I noticed it more during a brief attempt to grow my hair longer. But I would be interested to hear others' suggestions.

Arapaho-Rd thanked Sueb20
  • deegw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I always had a ton of hair, you seriously could not see my scalp. Now I am 56 and my part is getting wider and wider. I've tried a few shampoos, nothing seems to help.

I was in a Dr's office recently and there was a sign about platelet rich plasma treatment for hair loss. It's not cheap and it sounds painful but if my hair gets any thinner, I might try it.

Platelet rich plasma

Arapaho-Rd thanked deegw
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I thought I was imagining things, but my hair really does seem to have thinned in the last year or so - esp. in front. My hair has always been quite fine too. I went through menopause quite some time ago as well.

I agree getting a short, layered cut has been very helpful, otherwise it just gets all flat and stringy.

Arapaho-Rd thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I had stress-related alopecia and started wearing a wig. My dermatologist recommended minoxidil (Rogaine; I know you said you weren't interested). I used it for a short time, but stopped once the hair started growing back. It is better now, and I no longer wear a wig.

Arapaho-Rd thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • justcallmepool
    5 years ago

I had a lot of hair loss starting a couple years before I entered menopause. I had to cut my hair shorter and get bangs, bc I got a receding hairline. Even the little hairs on my face would just come right out at the slightest tug.

I noticed it stopped after I started a keto diet. Not sure if that was coincidence or not, but when I fell off that after a year it did start falling out againfor awhile.

My neighbor (who is not menopausal) had hers fall out from low vitamin D. Apparently it’s a symptom. So you could start with having checked. Most people are low, especially if you wear sunscreen a lot.

Arapaho-Rd thanked justcallmepool
  • User
    5 years ago

I took my son to a dermatologist when he started to lose hair at age 16 or so. She said it was because of increase in testosterone. So for women it's a change in the estrogen testosterone balance. We usually have less estrogen during and after menopause...You could try soy products that increase estrogen.

Of course, check with the doc about this and these are my own opinions based on what I've read, yada yada yada.

Arapaho-Rd thanked User
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Yeah, I went through a period where it thinned immediately post menopause. I was using hormonal BC right until then. It was pretty horrible. I started on biotin supplements and that helped a lot. It took a few months, but my hair is much better, also my nails. I also had low Vitamin D, but with supplements I am back to a normal level. I also have hypothyroid, so that can also contribute to hair loss. You might also want to get that checked.

I have heard of PRP through the dermatologist, too.

Arapaho-Rd thanked gsciencechick
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I have experienced the delights of hair falling out from lack of Vitamin D. It took a few months of 2000 IUs a day plus Biotin- I don't remember how much though to get things back in order. It's a tough balance keeping the sun off your skin and getting enough Vitamin D.

Arapaho-Rd thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all so much! I did have low Vitamin D at my last checkup. I know I'm not eating enough protein either!

I will check out Rogaine (even though said not interested) and PRP. The info is very much appreciated :)

• User
    5 years ago

My mom went through menopause early and her hair started thinning at that time. She always chalked it up to hormones but a while back finally went to the doctor and discovered her D levels and thyroid were both terrible low. Her hair has started to thicken and you can see new growth around her hairline. I do believe hormones play a part but definitely think the other things weren't helping. Agree about the other things that were mentioned above too.

General comment about vitamin D in case it helps someone, mine was low at 15 and my doctor put me on the 50000 IU once a week. I did that for three months and my levels did increase a little but were still low and I honestly felt like crap (tired with no energy) most of the week except for about two days after taking the pill. My doctor said some people do better with a daily dose so now I'm to take 6000 IU of D3 daily and do feel better. I take liquid Biotics Research Bio D Mulsion Forte. My sister also had to switch from the weekly dose to daily to feel better.

• PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

While commonly seen with aging, I've seen many cases where it is due to an underlying medical condition, so encourage you to consider that possibility.

Patients I've seen with the most success with Rogaine used it early, before they had a lot of hair loss, the most common side effect people compained of was the cost.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20372932

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/natural-treatments-for-hair-loss#1

Arapaho-Rd thanked MDLN
  • Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I see my dermatologist this coming week so will ask him although my appt is for a precancer spot removal. He's the quick in and gone type so I'll give it a shot.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Hair thinning/loss is one of the few ravages of age I seem to have escaped thus far. I do take 5000 mcg of biotin a day. Yay gummies!!! I can't say it's done that much for my skin and nails, but I'll settle for reasonably thick hair.

Arapaho-Rd thanked Bunny
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

My hair is much thinner than it used to be, but I recently had it cut short with some highlights and low lights and it looks much thicker. My goal is to embrace the gray now that I am retired, but I don't know if I have the guts to do it!

Arapaho-Rd thanked Bonnie
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH