Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherri_eagan

Seeking Ideas to Update Kitchen

Sherri Cicetti
5 years ago
Hi All! I want to update my kitchen to make it more modern. The window treatments were left from previous owners so I would like to re-do them. I’m not a fan of the color countertops, however, we don’t have the budget to replace them, so I’m hoping we can give the kitchen a nice face lift by perhaps doing a new backsplash and painting/staining the cabinets. Maybe even repainting the walls. Open for any and all ideas.

Comments (5)

• Sherri Cicetti
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another view of kitchen
  • PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

Your cabinetry is outdated in the design, not the color. The fluting, dentil molding, arched panel doors, appliques and corbels will still look dated after you paint. I would sit tight and save up until you have the budget for a proper remodel. I don't think you'll see a return on a minimal investment.

• deegw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The space looks very "early 90s". It's not done badly but it doesn't look fresh.

Taking off the dated window treatments will make a big difference. They aren't serving a purpose and the style does not enhance the windows or the space. Pull them down tonight! :)

I would paint the walls a clean fresh color like SW accessible beige, get cream linen look curtain panels for the windows, a couple of pretty rug runners to cover some of the tile and live with the kitchen for a while. I would also get a new fixture for the dining room. A lantern would be more modern and would work with the space.

As mentioned above, the style of the cabinets is more problematic than the color. I would carefully examine the corbels and trim above the stove to see if they can be popped off.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Your countertop is very earthy and no white anywhere in it. According to Maria Killam if your fixed elements don't have white or cream in them a cream may even end up looking too white. You then should consider a light beige or light gray neutral. Green beige - BM Manchester Tan, SW Wool Skein. It will look cream because the contrast between your earthy elements and the light green-beige is so high. If these green-beige neutrals don't work with your fixed elements, pick whatever neutral is the most obvious. In her ebook a kitchen she did years ago with this same granite she said the color she chose was too yellow (BM Mannequin Cream) and if she were going to redo it she would have went with a grayed white like BM AF-65 Fossil or green-beige like SW 7028 Incredible White or SW 6148 Wool Skein.

ETA - I just noticed your flooring in the kitchen is light. I would paint the cabinets whatever light color relates to your hard finishes. I would honesty just pay for one of Maria's online consults and have her pick the color. I'm not affiliated in any way. I plan to use her when it comes time to painting my cabinets to save me from agonizing over buying samples and comparing undertones, etc. Then putting all the work into it and realizing I got it wrong, at least to my eye, visually.

I would try and remove the scroll piece above the stove and if you could change any of the cabinet trim that would be a big visual improvement.

And I'll admit I'd honestly paint right over the backsplash. I'm sure some will cringe but it can be done easy peasy. I'd paint it the same color as the new cabinet color. Clean well, gripping primer like Zinsser 123 (water based) or Zinsser BIN (oil based) and two coats of paint. I'd put money into replacing the trim on the cabinets over a splash.

I would remove the valances but not sure what I would use there. Maybe woven or fabric roman shades.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Do a search here on GW for discussions on the pros and cons of painting cabinets. It is very time consuming and/or expensive to do the job properly so that it lasts. I would paint the walls and get new curtains and accessories and even look into removing the backsplash before trying to paint the cabinets.