Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrswring

What kind of vibe does this great room give you?

Shelby Wring
5 years ago

We just bought our first house and are trying to decide which way we're going to go with it concerning fixtures and decor. I think a more traditional approach would go perfectly with the kitchen cabinets and counters, but my husband would like an industrial feel. I can't picture this space with industrial touches. Would it look good or would it look like an elegant dress got paired with ugly sneakers? lol Here are a few photos of the house!

Old listing photo

Comments (24)

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's another old listing photo to include the ceiling and current fixtures

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

There is very little vibe this house gives me. You can do whatever you want with it. The kitchen does not lend itself to a terribly casual feeling. The wood floors and kitchen cabinets preclude the injudicious application of gray a la HGTV. The wood you have is lovely. Be sure to play nicely with it.

If it were my house I would start by getting a rug and then a sofa and dining table.

Congratulations on the new house.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I can’y really see why you could not take the industrial vibe foward .The look can be many things these are just a couple

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Here’s some coMpromise inspiration photos good luck!

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

As stated, the you can go industrial. Do you have any furniture you are working with. I would get rid of the blue walls. congrats on the new home. It takes time to make it yours.

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm painting the whole house Accessible Beige (Sherwin Williams) in about a week. I can't handle the blue either!

• Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

I suggest you to go with a higher light reflective value.

Accessible beige LRV is only 58, and I say this because it looks like you do not have enough natural light.

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Naf_Naf, can you explain the numbers? I've never heard of colors being rated by numbers. What color do you suggest?

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is our current living room furniture that I'd like to keep and maybe just stain the coffee and side tables espresso like the cabinets. Our dining room table is pictured below that.

• Eric
    5 years ago

Your furniture is far from industrial. I am not sure accessible beige would fit that theme as well.

I like your dining furniture and I’d carry that theme through the rest of the house.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Find out what he means when he said industrial. 'm glad the overwhelming blue is going. You might be able to bring in the touches your husband is looking for with the coffee and end tables, without having to make the house an obvious style.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like the dining set, ottoman, and the rug. I would use the rug in the great room. Do you have a game room also?

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We don't have a game room, and unfortunately I no longer have the rug. :( We are planning to get another rug, though. I'd like to go through a carpet store and have one made to fit the space.

My husband keeps showing me new coffee and end tables with exposed metal. They aren't bad looking, I just wasn't sure how well it will go with the new house. He would also like to put a large industrial looking fan in the living room and replace the pendant lights with metal ones. I like everything he's shown me, but I guess I wanted a second opinion, especially since new furniture won't be cheap.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

You have another post going and you said you were painting it grey. Did you change your mind from yesterday.

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Angel, we decided to go with Sherwin Williams paint, in which Accessible Beige is the equivalent of Edgecomb Gray. :)

• Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Naf! I'll have to get some samples. I definitely don't want to darken the room! :)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

There is nothing "industrial" about the house or your furniture. BIG mistake.

• fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

Basically Light Reflective Value means the percent of light it reflects. Pure white reflects 100%, black reflects 0%. We went with Sherwin Williams Modern Grey, which is a balanced light grey with warm undertones. It’s LRV is 62. You can look at this stat by clicking “details” on the Sherwin Williams color page. I wanted the downstairs of our North and East facing open floorplan to feel airy and warm. I would NOT go with a lower LRV than this.

• Hamma
    5 years ago

Gosh, I've seen plenty of "EAT"s over the pantry doors, but never "SOCH"! I wondered if it was "EAT" in some Scandinavian language or something :), so I had to look it up. Urban Dictionary told me that it's "someone who acts like they are better than you because they belong to a popular social group". Lol! (Yes, I remember that it was previous owners' and I apologize for not being helpful, but had to share).

Congrats on your new home!

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• PRO
    Holly Anderson Fine Art
    5 years ago

congratulations on the new house, i am in love with your kitchen!

As far as the greatroom is concerned i dont get the industrial vibe, but with the right artwork and accessories you may achieve this look. Here's a link to some versatile artworks, i can definitely see fitting into your home. Hopefully something inspires you ! https://www.etsy.com/shop/HollyAndersonFineArt?ref=l2-shopheader-name

• J Kay
    5 years ago
    I think transitional style is what I get from your space. The new build I’m purchasing feels the same. Let your husband choose a couple of tables for the space to keep him happy.
  • Shelby Wring
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!

I read up on LRV and think we will probably be fine with Accessible Beige since the room is south facing, however I am going to get a few samples and see which looks best throughout the day.

I haven't made a decision with the coffee and side tables, but I'm leaning towards just refinishing the ones we have for now. We still have little kids and our coffee table has served as the perfect place to play and store our family games and the kids' coloring stuff where it's still accessible, but contained (ya know, in the open so I can keep an eye on what and where they color). I don't want the house to look like a hodgepodge of mismatched furniture though, so I'm still searching for affordable, functional LR tables that flow with everything else.