Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_761419218

Re-doing living room

Jenny Hershey
5 years ago
I'm replacing the carpet, replacing all furniture except the trunk and repainting the walls. My family of 3 turned into a family of 6 so thinking of a sectional that is about 12'5" total length along the back wall (current couch is 87" for reference) with a chaise on the right that will stick out about 6' and a cuddler on the left that extends out about 4'. then an accent chair to replace the red blob and get rid of the brown blob and maybe put in a corner bookshelf. also will replace the ent center with a tv stand that fits in the built in area which will add a little space. Will this be too big of a sectional or look too crowded? i want the room to look bright and airy but dont have much natural light. with 4 kids, we're sticking with carpet and we cant have white/cream carpets or furniture. what do you suggest for carpet and sectional color to brighten the room and make it feel lighter and bigger since its so long and narrow?

Comments (26)

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi.... dark brown furniture has much contrast / much attention to it against lighter colors: the walls, carpeting.... so wondering if you'd buy just the lower console in a grey-brown-ish medium tone. Or chalk paint the entire thing.

• Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm just tired of the red and tan and we don't all fit on the couch. 2 adults amd one of tge smaller kids can fit. the other 3 kids either pull the red blob closer or they sit on the floor so that's why was thinking a sectional with an armchair where the red blob currently is. thinking maybe a blue sectional or a sage or even a grey sectional with light grey or beige walls and grey washed tv console and coffe table or maybe a light to medium wood color. no idea what color of carpets to change to though.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

No clue if you'd like a 2 or 3-seater papason -- I liked mine a lot. Can buy new cushions later - Pier 1, etc.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Versatile: $599.99 - unfold for a queen-size bed / stack 1 ottoman inside for a side table / workstation. Variety of colors: loveseat, two ottomans, mattress liner with childproof zippers - Removable covers are machine washable.

You could separate the ottomans, and spread blue across at tv wall??

Zipline Convertible Sleeper Loveseat With 2 Ottomans, 3-Piece Set, Marine · More Info

Loveseat Measurements: 37.5"L x 61"W x 22"H
    Seat Measurements: 44"W x 22"D x 11"H
    Lounging Platform Measurements: 75"L x 61"W x 11"H
    Ottoman Measurements: 21.5" x 21.5" x 10.5"
    Made in GA / Manufactured by Jaxx Casual Living
    W 61" / D 37.5" / H 22"

• Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    if i did a 12 ft sectional, it's going to be pretty big and closer to the front door. it'll go from the middle of the bookshelf over to where the big wall painting starts and yes i could fit one chair on the side. not sure whether to do a sectional with the chaise on the right and the chair on the left or vice versa. we eat in the kitchen. technically the area where the big red bean bag is at is supposed to be a dining area but we just use the kitchen.
  • Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last blue i think is too bright, navy blue could work with the right coffe table and tv console and paired with right wall and carpet colors. i just want to get away from how dark the room currently is but still function for our large family.
  • Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    wouldn't it look weird to have a big rug over carpet though?
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I think that sounds huge! For much of the time at home, why not have 2 or 3 small-ish chairs by patio doors - small game table? For gathering of more people, bring in small chairs...

• everdebz
    5 years ago

yeh forget the rug over carpeting -- if you want.... what about a good quality of vinyl? for long-term.... add any rug you like. :)

If you want to keep all the light you can - why navy which is dark? there are many medium and light blues. What about a pattern on sofa - hide whatever it is!? ;-)

• Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

I really like sectionals for families. I also like to see them balanced with an arm chair for those who want to sit solo or for company. In terms of size, you'll have to measure your room and draw your area to scale to see what will fit best. But from what I can see from your photos, I can see a sectional working well.

Depending on measurements, in theory, I can see something like the below for your room.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Family of six ... congrats. Liking the tv cabinet; would keep it and the coffee table that works well with it. Would like to see a full pic of the large art w/yellow. Not a decorating pro but wondering why the large art isn't it centered over/behind the sofa -- to me, most of your art/pics seem oddly placed, mostly hung too high and not well organized.

Recommend that if/when you have the carpet removed, that you NOT replace the carpet with more carpet -- consider choosing plank flooring ... something more easily cleaned instead. With children in the home, would not put a rug in the main, small, high traffic living room for the same reason.

Between now and the time you begin replacing furniture, you might change the placement of the furniture and furnishings you have. When you remove all the art from your wall to repaint, do wait until you have some input from the Houzz design pros before rehanging all the smaller framed art/pics.

You could move your taller, narrower bookshelf now (left of the red sofa) against the full height wall between the penninsula/bar and the windows / outside wall to the right of it. Then you could place a live potted plant (snake plant) in front of it at the window.

Something you might consider is buying a couple of chairs that could work either at the penninsula/bar or as living room seating. Chairs that swivel and/or have wheels -- preferably that can be raised and/or lowered -- could suit this purpose.

If you're not adding bar stools or chairs for in front of the penninsula/bar, you might consider relocating the trunk (now near the front entrance) -- with or without adding wheels to it -- and set it in front of the peninsula.

You could add a pair of his/her comfortable chairs (for you and your spouse) to flank your (existing or new) sofa (children's seating) and add either narrow end tables w/lamps or floor lamp table combo units on each side of your sofa.

Young children usually actually like sitting in bean bag chairs. If those you have are still in good condition, you could keep and repurpose them to the children's room unless/until needed for extra seating in the living room. Note: Bean bags are often more readily available as "back to school" and "off to college" goods replace summer items in stores if you want replacements for the ones you have.

Not usually a fan of sectionals because they limit furniture placement and few people actually like sitting for extended times in a chair w/o arms. Sectionals fill a room and visually crowd it. Also, with children in the home, you should remember that if any part of a sectional is ruined -- stained or damaged -- then most of your seating will be affected.

Also, if you put a sectional in the front corner of the room, that will totally change your tv viewing vantage point so a sectional will mean rething your tv cabinet and that should be kept in mind as you decide how you're going to spend your decorating budget.

Let us know how your project is progressing.

• Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks for all the advice. good suggestions. i like the idea of moving the bookcase next to the bar with a plant by the window and a couple barstools for extra seating. i hadn't considered a sofa for the kids seating with two chairs flanking it for us, that's somethink to measuee out and see how it looks. good idea! the sectionals i had in mind I'm posting examples of... one is a 3 seat sofa with right facing chaise, 2nd is a dbl chaise and 3rd is a right facing chaise with a left cuddler. think i may get some painters tape and start talking out measurements of these options as well as regular 3 seat sofa with a chair flanking each side. that i think will lead me to visualize what's gonna work best as far as size of the space and still seeing the tv.
  • Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    looking at these rooms as inspiration for color and overall feel.
  • Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    here's a closeup of the trunk I'm keeping. just like the character it has plus we store all our boardgames in it.
    the tv ent center i like but its just a little too big to actually fit into the built in so it sticks out about 18 inches from the wall. if i find a smaller tv console that does fit, it frees up at least 8 inches in front of the coffee table for more room/walking space.
    did have more framed photos above the sofa but took them to do paint samples but then decided to wait until we have the new furniture to do paint samples.
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Really like the trunk -- a family treasure for family treasures!

• everdebz
    5 years ago

If you're painting, new flooring could be a good thing -- suggesting a sofa cover for a while - I liked my beige from Target, and washable. It had 2 ties that looked ok.

I see now how large unit sticks out - in your room you don't need that.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I like a small child maybe chair on each side [even near window?]

"Seats 4 / adjustable headrests, a right facing chaise / corner ledge at the back that can function as a table."

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Like homespun braided rug to blend with carpeting -

Braided Simply Home Solid Pouf Pouf/Ottoman, Cafe Tostado, Round 20" · More Info

GDF Studio Lamur Handcrafted Boho Fabric Pouf, Gold · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/braided-simply-home-solid-pouf-pouf-ottoman-cafe-tostado-round-20-prvw-vr~41868759[(https://www.houzz.com/products/braided-simply-home-solid-pouf-pouf-ottoman-cafe-tostado-round-20-prvw-vr~41868759)

• Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    going with this layout and either the navy blue fabric on the sectional and blue/white striped fabric on the chair or the lighter blue fabric on the sectional with the geometric pattern on the chair and coordinating pillows. prob gonna do the lighter blue. now to figure out coffee table and tv console to go with those fabrics and the trunk I'm keeping.
  • Jenny Hershey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    layout and fabric samples...
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I like the second set.

The first seems like herringbone / masculine stripes. Idk that I see that with bird fabric.

None of them seem to complement your gold [?] art... though I see greens in it. I can picture sectional in the 2nd deep teal.