Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brewskis

Need help picking door styles and door hardware..

Brewboy
5 years ago

We are currently building a home and looking for advice for door styles and door hardware. We are building a modern industrial farmhouse, considering doing two panel doors with black Emtek round hardware with tall rectangular rosette. But having a hard time to decide between Emtek and Balwin Hardware. Looking for help and advice on what styles would look best togehter?!

Comments (11)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

What are the ages of the people living in the house? I personally prefer knobs but went with levers because DH and myself are getting up there in years and knobs can be harder to use as you age.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    I agree w above comments. Levers are easier to use.
  • zthar
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had a similar dilemma; asked a child and "older" person to decide which they preferred and found easiest to open - Lever won on all counts for both parties.

But personally I like the look of the knob.

• User
    5 years ago

I am intrigued by "modern industrial farmhouse". Is that a HGTV style?

• Lori
    5 years ago

With our previous house we had levers. Our twins were then two years old and quickly learned they could get in to any room simply by hanging on the lever. We are now building again and chose knobs as our youngest is two (why do we keep building with toddlers?!).

I also think knobs are more aesthetically pleasing but can appreciate why those aging in place might chose differently. We are in our mid-thirties, so for us knobs are the best choice.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

True modern industrial farmhouses always use levers...except for those which use knobs...except for those which have no doors...

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    You’ve got plenty of time before you “need” levers. My only concern with the knob shown is the sharp edge. Looks very uncomfortable to squeeze and turn. Beautiful though.
  • User
    5 years ago
    We have a more modern home and went with emtek. We chose the Hercules lever. I like the ones in your pics.
  • Kristin S
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Levers are also more convenient when your hands are full. I like the look of knobs but the functionality of levers, and for us functionality won.

Consider how tall your doors are. We initially chose two panel doors for our home after seeing and loving them in the showroom. At our house, however, doors will be 8’ with 9-10’ ceilings (v. standard shorter size in the showroom). I recently saw that style of door in the 8’ size, and it just loses something. We’re now considering a three panel option.

For hardware we found the new Schlage custom line and really like it. It has a nice heft and finish while being a little less expensive then Emtek. The Latitude lever is a nice contemporary choice, and they have a rectangular rosette (though not quite as tall).

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

I have no idea what "modern industrial farmhouse" means, but I go with knobs because I need to be able to secure interior doors. That's just impossible with levers. I can always change them out later, if I've broken my youngest child of her habit of getting into things that she shouldn't, and we feel we need an easier option. Hardware isn't really that expensive, especially if you're not building the rest of the house at the same time.