Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleynalepa7

what to do with this huge blank wall!!

Ashley
5 years ago
My boyfriends home is as plain as it gets! I’m slowly convincing him to add color and hang pictures, you know, make it look like we’ve actually lived here for 3 years. The entire house is beige! Ceilings and all! But that’s another battle neither of us are ready to deal with. Today I’m trying to come up with a plan for this large wall in the livingroom. I’m not sure how to fill the space. He likes the collages with a mix of pictures and quotes. But how big does it need to be to fill the space but not look silly. I think a large clock would look good. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The big clock and quotes were a trend that has come and gone. To style your room remove everything off the mantel. Right now it just looks cluttered. The TV and the branches are enough for that wall. Can you find another place for the blankets below the coffee table? One huge, oversized painting or a grouping of smaller pieces would look good over the couch. Since your room is all beige and brown some colorful pillows on the couch would really help liven up this room, as will the color in the painting(s). Please don't choose art that again has very little color.

• User
    5 years ago

Would you be open to a different arrangement for your existing furniture? Color alone won't improve the arrangement. If you are open, please post additional photos of the room for some suggestions on furniture placement and enjoyment of the functions in the room.

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am not opposed to moving furniture. The layout of this room, and most of the house stinks! We do not use the door in this room. The only thing that I probably won’t be able to move is the tv(for now) because all of the wiring is behind the wall. As much as I would love to change the color the idea of having to repaint the ceiling kills it for me lol and I’d love to get rid of the sticks on side of the tv. Don’t mind the silly sculptures on the mantle, the kids just made them and wanted them on display.
  • Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am not opposed to moving furniture. Only thing that would be a problem is the tv, all of the wiring is inside the wall. Ignore the large dog bed on the couch. Between the two dogs and two kids this livingroom is very well lived in!
  • Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any suggestions on colors for pillows or an area rug. The couch has pillows but they’re the same color as the walls. It’s to much lol
  • User
    5 years ago

Thanks for the photos. Are you watching tv from the sofa or the love seat primarily?

• Ashley
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Usually the love seat but only because of where it is
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Window coverings will make a huge difference here. My drawing is embarrassing, but it's just an attempt to convey the idea. Place two wooden blinds near the ceiling above the window and french door to bridge the gap between molding and ceiling. Drapery panels ~ 1.5x the width of each window/door on rods.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Place the sofa at the window and move the TV to the blank wall. Loveseat opposite fireplace. Moving wires for the TV isn't typically a big deal if you or your boyfriend are handy or willing.

• User
    5 years ago

Bingo! Just what I thought. So, here's some thoughts for furniture arrangement. Place the love seat on the wall where the sofa is now and place the sofa facing the tv/fireplace. I can't tell how close to put the sofa to the love seat, but I think using the ottoman in front of the sofa is a better placement. Now, with the smaller seating on the wall, you can have a narrow shelf/sofa table behind the love seat for a couple of lamps and décor. Another option is to place the love seat on the window wall and use a sofa table behind it. Adding a bit of color and texture can bring it all together.

Laguna Seagrass Baskets Set of 3 · More Info

Any of this of interest?
    thriftydecorchick · More Info

I would have to see the pieces arranged before I could offer any more suggestions.
    Black & Beige Living Room · More Info

Dubai Eclectic · More Info

• User
    5 years ago

I remembered this dyi example of a "sofa table" that might interest you.

Swingle Living Room IDEAS · More Info

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    5 years ago

Here are a few things which might help you with putting together your place. Note these walls and what we did with them, also note the pillows, and rugs.

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · More Info

America's First 3D Printed House · More Info

Luxe Downtown Pied-A-Terre · More Info

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    5 years ago

We carry a large collection of oversized artwork that would work very well in a masculine (as well as feminine) space. Check them out here: www.shoagallery.com. They come in many sizes. Some samples below. Enjoy decorating!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH